Thinking about it...

JenMcManus

Hello,

I\'m seriously considering getting a CQ and am so excited! Here are a few questions I have:

-I\'ve heard about great stitch quality, but isn\'t that dependent upon (as usual) your tension? Why would a CQ give you better stitch quality?

-How can you control the mess of wires that I have seen with CQ set ups? I have to be neat and organized around my machine, just the way I am. Is this possible?

-Can you explain \'boundaries\'?

Thanks for helping!

Jen

Jen,

Don\'t consider me an expert but have had CQ since August. I think that the stitch quality is good because there isn\'t the rev up, rev down associated with the stitch regulator. The machine is moving perfectly in non-stitch related mode so the the smoothness increases stitch quality. You do still have to check tension but I assume that the smoothness of the motions would tend to help tension problems also.

Secondly, since I no longer have to work from the back of the machine, the extra cords are not an issue for me at all, I don\'t notice them at all. The only cord issue is the computer is connected to a surge protector which is currently plugged into the wall which I am always tripping over. I need to get it plugged into the ceiling where the macine is plugged in and it will be a non issue.

The keyboard & its cord is a little messy but I think you can get a wireless keyboard if necessary.

Finally, the boundaries are an issue for me. Basically, you lose quilting area on all sides. I have a quilting area front to back of about 15 1/2 inches which limits me some because I was used to using all the available area but I\'m getting used to it. The only time the sides become an issue is with really wide quilts. I had a super king on the machine this week and I couldn\'t get the machine to clear the quilt to unhook for basting. I had to modify my usual procedure but it wasn\'t a big deal.

I\'ve really enjoyed my machine with CQ. I\'m still not perfect with when doing borders and sashing, etc. but it has been great.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jen, the CQ is great. I\'ve had mine since 2005 and know I don\'t use it to its full potential.

The stitch quality is wonderful because the computer is doing the stitching and moves at a consistent speed. Yes, you do still need to be able to adjust your tension depending on your threads - both top and bottom. I love One Song Needle Arts designs and with these you really need to have a tiny stitch length - I usually use about 14 or 15 and slow the system down.

I assume you are asking about the Boundaries feature unique to the CQ and not the quilting area. Boundaries is a feature that the CQ has. You identify the area you want to stitch in and then your pattern will fill that area. I have not used it very much but I know that people who use it love it.

Another feature I have used is Outline. This is a little time consuming but I have used it to outline something that I wanted to highlight. You could probably do this faster free-hand but I have never mastered SID and this is sort of like that.

I really like being able to take my design and resize it to fit the area that I am working in - this works for either pantos, borders, blocks, etc. It is a great feature of all computerized systems and makes filling in the area a breeze. I also love not having to mark my quilt and following lines - I\'m not very good at that:o

You will love the CQ and with all the new features being added, it will only get better and better.

Compu-Quilter Rocks! I had my machine for 5 months and retrofitted. Yes, probably not using it to capacity because it is powerful. The cords are absolutely not an issue. The stitch formation is excellent. You have the same adjust stitch length and tension desired as you would with SR mode.

My only "issue" relates to the fact that my 12\' table became a litttle less than that when the CompuQuilter was added. I didn\'t know that would happen, but it isn\'t a big deal. If I could have fit a 14\' table, it would never have been an issue.

There are a lot of wonderful features that I make a plan to learn something new in Compu-Quilter each month. It is so easy to crank out those quilts. The recent download seems to have made a few little quirky things better. Good product. Tina Collins came to do my retrofit and she was great. I was up and going in no time.

Love my CQ...it is a workhorse. I wish I had a computerized system when I first started quilting 5 years ago. If I knew then what I know now I would have gotten a computerized system when I bought my first machine.

It also takes the physical wear and tear off the body when doing pantographs. It is wonderful when all the motifs are stitched beautifully.

Cheryl

Jen,

I should have explained the Boundaries feature a little more... but I got sidetracked by the thought of blueberry scones!! LOL!

Boundaries is a feature that allows us to literally take the quilt block (or any other space we want to fill) and send it to the computer screen in the same exact size, shape, rotation, etc. as it is on the actual quilt. Then you can drop your quilting design into this quilt space to size, rotate, stretch, move the design so that it fits EXACTLY as you want it to. I love this feature!!! I use it for everything!! My favorite is using boundaries for the corners of borders... because if the actual quilt corners are not perfectly square (90 degree) corners, then I can adjust my design so that the corner design is perfectly placed in the space- as opposed to the other method of using the inside corner as a reference and hoping any variance isn\'t visible. I quilt the corners first, then I use the "Pattern start, pattern end" feature (which calculates the exact size, and rotation as well) to connect the corners. I can fill any space with a perfectly executed quilting design!!

The Boundaries feature is simply wonderful!!!

I never got the CL because I figured I would be able to do anything I needed with CQ, and that has been right on the money. I know it seems like a huge expense, but it is worth every penny. I have turned out more quilts of very predictable character and there are so many great digitized designs out there. You can still very much customize your work, but the effrt is taken down to much more precise quilting in much less time .

CQ is amazing, and I wish Ihad just gone for right away. The only plus is I really appreciate it more having dealy with some real learning before I added CQ. We are blessed to have good support with these two products. ( and no, I\'m not selling)

You will not be disappointed!

Hi Jen

don\'t think about it any longer - just do it!!!

I don\'t think we really appreciate all that CQ can do until we own one. There is always more than one way to do something with CQ. I love the Boundaries feature which we normally use by plotting the perimeter of a pieced area no matter whether the edges are straight or curved and display that shape on the screen, then we move the quilting design inside that space until we are happy with its position and size - what we see on screen is what will quilt. I recently had four applique blocks with open space in the centre that needed a quilting design. There were no piecing lines to use as a boundary so I just clicked on the outside points of the appliques until I had the exact shape of the open area showing on the screen and this was then my boundary in which I could place my quilting design. Another way to place a design accurately in this space would be to choose the design and place the machine needle over the centre of this area, then open the restart page and move the machine to the extreme edges of the design to make sure it will fit into the space - easy.

As to the wires hanging from the back of the machine. APQS are working on a tidyer way which I think is nearly ready. As someone said though, the machine can be pushed quite close to the wall and you don\'t see those wires.

Having CQ has allowed me to quilt more quits each week and be proud of the perfect stitching that I wasn\'t able to do freehand. I still enjoy freehand quilting though and find my machine moves just as well with CQ added.

Stan and Dee Dee are committed to their product and will be visiting Australia in 10 days for a workshop with current owners and those who might be thinking of purchasing a new machine. We are looking forward to meeting them both and learning more about our CQs and I believe they are looking forward to hearing our ideas on features we would like to see in the future.

Go for it!

Sue in Australia

Jen, DO IT!! I did my 5 year project quilt entirely on the CQ using boundaries. I love boundaries. You know exactly where the design is going to go without having to worry about inside or outside, etc. I even did the cross hatching with CQ. If you NEVER digitize a pattern, it is not a big deal. There are awesome digitizers out there. JoAnn has some gorgeous designs as do many many others. Frankly, for $5 I can download a design and be stitching in 5 minutes. Some of them are more, but since I use them over and over, it\'s no different than buying a panto. You should see my library. It is so addicting. Worse than going to Fabric Depot. Not to say I am not going to digitize. When I am away from my machine, working 500 miles away, and sitting at the computer, why not. Suzanne Moreno has an amazing workbook program to train you to digitize anything. Her program is web-based so anyone can learn it. Amazing.

You gotta do it. It will open up an entire new world to you. The custom designs you can do for your customers while you stand and have your morning coffee are unlimited.

Just my opinion, and not so humble either@@:P:P:P

Nancy

Hey Everyone,

I just wanted to thank you all for the info and help in making my decision about a computerized system. After a lot of thought, research, and tearing out of hair, I have decided to go with the IQ, but really do think both systems are awesome. Thanks so much for all your support, you guys are great! :):):)

Jen

• 1 month later...

Ok, my DH and I are talking about the possibility that because of my severe shoulder problems it may become necessary to get the CQ. However, we are very concerned that just because we buy it, doesn\'t automatically mean more business. Where I live, there are a lot of LA\'rs and several of them with Statler\'s. There is a Gammill Dealer down the road. We were given a very rosy outlook on the quilting business initially only to learn that reality is another matter. Not that I don\'t have lots of customers, it is just a hard business to get up and running. You know what I mean. I am not at all confident that my business will "double" as a result of purchasing a computerized system as I was informed once in a vendor booth that was selling the Intelliquilter. I need some honest answers on how the purchase of the CQ has IMPROVED business, not just how great it is to use, etc. etc. I\'ve read through several posts (not all, certainly) and have not gotten a feel for that aspect. Since I might go as far as getting the Millie, too this would be a MAJOR investment and I still haven\'t paid off the Liberty. Right now I am steady without really getting out there to drum up business (have had a personal issue going on for the last year, I\'ve been babysitting my grandson several days a week) but now I\'m getting in a position where I can get out there again and improve things. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Robin.

I don\'t have a computerized system (yet) so I really can\'t say for sure, but this is my thinking on the subject.

I don\'t think having the computer will DOUBLE your business right at the start, it will take time to increase your customers just as it did in the beginning. What the computerized system WILL do is take some of the load off of you personally and that will free up more of your time to build your business. It will allow you to quilt longer per day which in turn will help you to finish quilts faster, thus getting more done in a month. So this could, over time, increase your business.

Just my thoughts on it.

Patty

Hi Robin,

From one San Diego County quilter to another, yeah, I feel your pain. We just had 3 new longarms delivered this month in my little town of Ramona. YIKES. :o Can you say saturation?

I asked a similar question a couple weeks ago. I had heard that 3 quilters just bought LA and I knew that my competition was about to increase. So I asked if you could actually quilt m-o-r-e quilts with a computerized system. I got some great info that made me want to runout and buy a computerized machine but I would have to win the lottery first. :D

I have heard the scare stories about people starting a system and then just walking away to go shopping. I was raised to never turn your back on a machine so that would not be my idea of good practice.

But I think that Donna (Sam\'s Mom) makes a good point. If you could start a quilt with an E2E, for example, then you could sit in the studio and be free to do intake on new quilts, make phone calls to customers, print brochures, design the next quilt, etc. That aspect is what I think is the bonus with a CQ or any computerized system, it takes the load off, it does not put more hours in your day.

Good luck and keep rockin\'

No, it doesn\'t "put more hours in the day". Wouldn\'t that be awesome if it could!!! I\'d be on the phone ordering right now :P I meant you can quilt longer because you are not physically tired. You can get more done in a day. quilting, paperwork, taking in quilts, etc. :D

P

HI ,

I too am pretty sure I\'m going to add a computer to my Millie and am leaning towards the IQ.

I just need to see them in person and am looking forward to visiting both the IQ and Compuquilter booths at MQS.

I will be VERY interested to see what "The Butler" from Quilt EZ is all about. I can\'t wait to hear from those that look at it at MQX.

Joe had said that they would have it on their website the other day, but I keep checking and they haven\'t put anything on there about it.

Lani;)

Turn it on and go shopping?? Holy Moly, my luck the thread would break and be all wrapped around my flywheel when I got back!!

Re more time, it certainly makes sense that not being so physically exhausted after quilting for many hours is a BIG draw. I also think that to get more business you absolutely have to GET OUT THERE and right now, I\'m too dang tired to even think about joining an evening guild, or going to a sit & sew, any of the things that would get me in front of different people.

At this point, what I see happening is that I may not be able to do this for much longer physically. I\'m only 44, but sometimes I feel 84 after working at this all day. :(

Archived