My Colored Quilt - AKA "Out of the Box"

Sherry - Miss Tribal Fusion Queen - Thank you for the "Yum-OH". And Jane, thank you for your kind words as well. You all don\'t know what these words mean to someone who wasn\'t even sure if she should post the pics of it! I\'ve signed up for Karen McT\'s McTavishing class at Innovations because I really do need to lear how to do what I think is so beautiful on others quilts, but I can only see where I messed up. But after words of encouragment yesterday at the MMQG mtg, I decided that I needed to just do it.

Judy, You paint on a textile medium and then heat set with an iron. Irena states in her book that she uses 3 different mediums that she mixes together and then you don\'t have to heat set it. If this were a large quilt, I would be hunting for those specific 3 brands, but this was small enough that I could do with the iron.

Thank you ladies for your kind words. I hung it up in my family room last night - now I have to paint our blaaaa beige walls something darker so it shows up more. I\'ve just gotten a couple of quilts in so I guess I\'d better make some $$ and think about the next one while I\'m working. Maybe all my ducks will be in a row by the time that I start the next one!

Thanks Jim & Shana - But I do have to get the wall painted!!! Especially before Sept\'s MMQG Mtg. Got to get a darker color behind it other than the Blaaaa Beige color. Is Beige even a color???? I think it should be banned. All those people that talk about neutral color in your homes - they probably all eat oatmeal for breakfast too!! :P:D:)

Patti Jo, I\'m taking Karen\'s McTavishing class from 1:00-3:00 on Wednesday. I hope you\'re in the same class, are you? I\'m also taking Amy\'s APQS machine maintenance which will be good to know about. I\'m going to make myself a name tag, since I didn\'t get to go to the MMQG and get one of Jim\'s made for me. He really spoiled you all, didn\'t he?

I got my Irena Bluhm book from Amazon.

Evelyn

Yes Evelyn, I\'m taking both of those classes, so I will see you there. And re: name tag, If you even thought you were going to go, Jim may have already made you one. You should check with him. If you don\'t make it to my house in September, I\'ll see you at Innovations.

Hi Joanne - well, I had a couple of quilts waiting to get done, but neither were on any kind of deadline, so I just went for it. Even when I have quilts coming in, I book myself really loose so that if I want to do something, I have the time to do so. I\'m one that gets overwhelmed if I have a whole bunch of deadlines in front of me, so I just don\'t schedule them that tight. I learned to say NO a long time ago, and I practice it on a regular basis.

• 1 month later...

your quilt is stunning! i purchased her book and tried a small sample and it was great fun. i didn't want to spend too much on pencils, before seeing if i like this technique, so i purchased the crayolor roseart brand. it came out nice and soft, but i wanted some parts to be more vibrant and couldn't seem to get it with these pencils. what brand did you use?

thanks.

Hi Deb, I can't remember the kind of pencils that I have as I have long ago thrown away the box they came in, but I do know that I didn't spend very much at all. I got them along with some other school supplies at Target (I think).

In order to get more intense color, you have to press harder and keep going over the same area. I would also use other colors and blend them to get some of the different shadings. I hope that this answered your questions. Just keep trying different things and you will get there.

And thank you Bobbi. I'm trying to get some other quilts out of the way, so that I can get started on Out of the Box #2. I get that same feeling, like I'm looking at a tapestry. It's very nice when someone else sees what you see. But don't be green girl, go and get yourself some colored pencils and join in. You too can have a tapestry to look at in your house.;)

PattyJo

I have done her class and loved it. Very pretty custom quilting, love your leaves. I have done a wall hanging and I will not sell it. I take it to the local farmers market and lay out to show potenual customers some to the things I can do. I have been asked so many times how much? I my 1st thought was , they really like it and what a maybe customer draw. Now I just wait for their responses and answer questions. But it does make you feel so good to hear that kind of response. Oh, by the way your Local Farmers Markets are great advertising.

I promise try the colored pencils after I'm done with my storm at sea (from Hell).

I'm on the second to last row, each piece is auditioned, cut, marked and pieced as I am doing each block. I just finished the second to last row and found I had done two blocks twice! not one, but two!!!!! I'm so frustrated, I'm just leaving for a while. I'm crosseyed from this thing - and this is only the center of the quilt!!!

ok. done with my rant. I'm breathing deeply. walking out of the house.

Archived