stains from the rail gunk--

I have managed to get the black from the rails on nearly every pair of shorts (I live in AZ ) I own even tho I clean the rails & usually wear an apron to quilt. It's a tight squeeze behind my machiine so easy to rub against the rail. Yesterday I bought an apron that nearly wraps clear around my body so that might help in the future. It is too hot here to wear all black! I have even tried flipping the switch on and off from the front using a yardstick. A little awkward! Luckily I haven't gotten any black on a quilt--yet.

Does anyone have the magic formula for removing the rail gunk from clothing or---heaven forbid, quiilts?

Sherry

Millie/CQ

I just did that today actually.....I used a bit of the stick SHOUT and rubbed it on with a Q-tip...then blotted it with a wet paper towel...looks like I got it all, but won't know till it dries.

I use to be able to get a product out of Las Vegas it was in the grocery store in the detergents...its not on the east coast and I honestly can't remember its name, but that stuff NEVER harmed any fabric, or caused it to bleed...and all you needed to do was blot it and ANY grease stain or blood would come out of a quilt...Next time I'm in Reno, I need to go shopping and get a few bottles and stock up.

If it's just turning the machine on/off that sends you to the back, try plugging the power cord into a power strip and setting it on the floor towards the front of the machine - no more trips to the back!:P

Thanks for the help. I do clean the rails with alcohol and that works well--if they would stay that way a little longer! I have laundered everything but I still have grey smudges. It never all comes out. I've tried OxyClean but that didn't take it all out. I wonder if alcohol might work on fabric? I'll try. There are lots of spot removers out there, but may not work after going through the washer and dryer already. I still have to get behind the machine everyday to adjust the window blinds and I have a CQ so I need to adjust that mass of cords sometimes. Also need to straighten the quilt and leaders from the back when loading. Hard to avoid getting back there altogether! Plugging into another strip is a good idea so I can turn the machine on and off from the front.I think I have one open wall plug left without a power strip already plugged into it!

Sherry

Hi Sherry,

Try some Mag Aluminum Polish on your rails. I believe the newer tables have anodized rails as I never have a problem with the black marks anymore and my rails hardly even need to be wiped down.

Here's a picture of a power bar and how I attached it to the front of my machine. I have the advance feed, hydraulic lift, steam iron and fluorescent tube plugged into it. On the other side of the table I've "zip tied" another power bar onto the lower crossbar of the side of the table for all the CQ cords. Since I still haven't figured out how to post more than one picture at a time, I'll post in 3 or 4 separate ones. I'll also include a picture of how my CQ cords are zip tied together. THANKS to Jim Kaldenburg! ;)

Darlene

post--13461899948237_thumb.jpg

I just finished using alcohol and elbow grease, followed by detergent and more elbow grease. Looks like it all came out. I just hadn't worked at it hard enough before. It is even out of the items that have already been through the laundry a time or two. I'll still try finding a good stain remover that doesn't require so much elbow grease. This forum is the best place to go when you need help!

Sherry

Darlene,

Thanks for the help. I really need to tidy up that mass of cords. It looks too much like the back of my computer table. I like the way you have attached the power strip and I am going to do that. Today! I have been tripping over these cords too long. I knew there had to be a better way. I will also get the stuff for the rails. My table was new in October, are the new rails more recent than that? BTW, I have several of your CQ designs and they are great. I really like the CC ones and have 3 of them, so far. They are great for those patched blocks!

Sherry

Duh.. I have mine on a power Strip but always unplug it at night ( too many night storms here) never thought of using just turning off power strip then pluging back in and turn on power switch. Duh do it all the time with all the computers here. But I have lots of room to walk around the machine.( Need the exercise)

I have never had a problems with black from rails, but I clean them all with Alcohol very morning. And Q-tip the Wheels. I find more black on the wheels than the rails.

This is funny, cause I JUST had this problem on Sat. I looked down and I had black stuff all over my shorts!! couldn't figure out what it was from. so I walked around the house trying to see where it "lined up" with and it was my back table of my quilting machine!:P I used a product called Awesome . I get it at the Dollar Store. I don't know if everyone has a Dollar Store or not, but it is the greatest thing to get ANYTHNG out of ANYTHING!! And.....It's only a Dollar!!!:P: linda

Okay, I've not got any marks on my clothes, but I've run over quilt tops/backs that were draped over the machine more times than I can count. I'm an idiot, is all I can tell you.

I forget that the quilt is there and go to the front and mess with something and move it from the front and the back wheels run over (catching the fabric between the rails and wheels) the quilt. Big black marks!

What takes it out slick as snot is Sew Clean. Just spritz some on the top area and rub with a piece of batting or cloth. If it's really bad (like cuz I didn't clean the rails before) I might have to do it a couple of times, but it's always come out, never to be seen again.

Sew Clean is great stuff!

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Hi Bonnie--Was the stuff you used a Carbona product?

I swear by their stain-removers.

Let me know and I will sent you some.

No Linda its not...(although they are good, and I can't even get those out here)....the first time I got it actually it was at a quilt store in Reno that has now closed....and then I saw HUGE bottles of it in the store...both spray and refill types...I need to contact someone there that I turned onto it so that they can either get me the name or buy me some...its so good that I leave my hand Brazilian Embroidery in it for weeks at a time to soak all the yucks out of it.

Hummmmm I wonder if the "Sew Clean" has changed it bottle...because the stuff it takes out is EXACTLY...what this other stuff would take out. Need to go invest in some of that ..... That may be what it was.:D

Archived