Cleaning tricks & tips

The topic on cleaning the Pamperd Chef pan and getting the oil out of a quilt top made me think that this might be a good place for all of us to be able to post some shortcuts and other tips that would give us more time to quilt. I have a couple

1. For oil, use CHEAP shampoo (not with conditioners) that is clear (not milky looking) that you can buy at the DDollar Tree store - keep in laundry room and use on collars, cuff, or oil spots on any washable item.

2. Use your crock pot for easy meals. Just put meat, vegs, etc., turn on by noon - dinner ready by 5!!

OK, now what tips do you have that could help us all have more time to quilt????;)

Hire a maid and order Papa Murphy's Pizza????:P:P

Seriously, though, if I put just a little bit of planning into a few menu items for each two-week pay period, shop once and actually cook what I've planned, I save time and money. Its a pretty big "If" though.

I've also found that if I spend 10-15 minutes every night doing something "cleaning" wise, it doesn't take me near as long on weekends to catch up. I've also tried asking my DH is he's done with things; such as, "are you done with that bottle top?" :D Doesn't work--he says he told the dog to throw it away and she didnt do it!!:o

I have an apron with very large pockets - I can carry items from one room to another to put away. that's if I put it on-LOLOLOL. Usually just start a "drop off" point to put things where they belong- Its out of sight in the center of the house that EVERYONE passes by at some point during the day. If something belongs where or close to where you are going you take it with you and put it away then!! Most of the house is pretty well "picked up" most of the time. It seams to work the best with the kids especially. They don't have so much to do on the weekends and they are not having to make special trips to straighten up!

Sewhappy

My best tip is TRAIN YOUR DH :P:D:P:D When mine retired I reminded him how hard I worked when I was a stay-at-home mom and he was working. Now that he is the one staying home and I'm working outside the home it's only fair that he helps out in a major way. Well, he won't dust cuz he says there is no way to know where to start and where to stop. :o But I appreciate whatever he is willing to do.

Well, I will quilt from morning till 10:00 at night. My DH works for our Hosp. so he is home by 5:00. He golfs...2 nights a week and sometimes will golf on Mon. or Tues. afternoons, and he also golfs on Sat. and Sundays. Sooooooo.......he cooks....dusts......and vacuums and buys groceries. I have to clean the bathrooms and wash the clothes.

He also has a sideline business w/a website. He does wood working....custom items.........quilt hangers....tables....quilt racks and such. The tables are on the web site I will have to post pics of the quilt hangers. His site is....www.tableartproductions.com

Some men are just handy to have around.....aren't they?? Gotta love 'em!!!;)

Renae

The one thing that helps me most as far as cleaning? I walk through the house without my glasses on and put them on as I step out the door on the way to the studio!!!! Kinda like covering your ears and saying " I can't hear you!" only "I can't see you!"

Actually, what works great is inviting company over! At least then everything gets clean, if only for a little while!

My sister gave me a humorous cleaning tip. If you know someone is coming, don't have time or don't want to take time to clean, take out some "get well" cards you have on hand, sign various names to them and place them in a conspicuous place. People will wonder if you've been ill, excuse the less than clean house, and then note the names on the cards are from no one you know (like Uncle Oscar and Aunt Clara or George Clooney) and have a good laugh. I thought that was "fall down funny" and haven't used it yet but plan to.

Sharon G

roos@bigsky.net

Guest Linda S

Grandma's Secret Spot remover for stains

I second the crockpot recommendation, but if you forget to set it, get yourself a new electronic pressure cooker. Dinner can go from frozen to ready in about 25 minutes.

Linda

Originally posted by ffq-lar

Actually, what works great is inviting company over! At least then everything gets clean, if only for a little while!

THIS IS SO ME!!!!!;) The only time my spare bedroom is a bedroom is when we have company...otherwise it's the catch all room. SO if you plan to come see me....please give me at least 72 hours notice...otherwise its the couch bed for you.:P

I am with you Bonnie...if any one comes to visit...I need 72 hours to clean up. Once my parents surprised us (they flew in from SF to Des Moines). Believe me that was the last time they did that because I had to haul the stuff out of the extra bedroom and pile it in the MB...the wasn't time to organize.

Cheryl

About the crock pot-use crock pot liners then you don't even have to clean. Just wipe up any litle spot on the pot and put it away. I don't care what they cost and as far as being environmentally correct, I remember to reuse my plastic bags from the stores or take my own to put stuff in or just say no to a bag. That makes it OK to use a disposable bag in my crock pot!!

No DH, kids grown and gone, just me....

Drink your meals! No, c'mon girls - I mean like Carnation Instant breakfast with some extra protein powder, smoothies for lunch & dinner! No fuss no muss! Keep the vacuum in a conspicuous place (sic?) and just keeep on quiltin'!!!!

I do admit, I HAVE to run the sweeper when I'm piecing, those little tiny bits of fabric or threads somehow walk themselves alll over the house!

PJ - still praying and sending gooooooddddd thoughts!

Archived