My newest Colored Quilt - "A Pretty Flower for a Pretty Lady"

Thank you Meg & Barbara. I love tropical folage and have a bit of it around the house here and there - I love the Aloha Spirit it brings. I've tried to grow Hardy Hibiscus, but I didn't have very good luck and the first winter after I purchased it, we had temps down to 10 degrees. It wasn't hardy enough to make it thru that cold of a temperature. I know that the Hawaiian State flower is the Yellow Hibiscus, so I may try and plant one of them again one of these days.

Thank you all for you encouraging words. This is based on Irena Bluhm's technique of using colored pencils. I have just taken it and did my own spin on it. This particular pattern is my own. I drew it on some paper at a meeting I was at (yes, I was listening) then came home and enlarged it on my copier. Then traced it on some bigger paper, highlighted the lines with a sharpie, then used the back of my Millie as my light box to get the pattern on the fabric with a blue chalk pencil. Used the Magic eraser to get my marks off after I had stitched the lines into the fabric. Colored, fixed it with fabric medium, did all the background work, bound it and wal-la - there it was. As far as time to do it, for me it takes longer to come up with the idea than to do it. I copied it onto the cloth and stitched it in about an afternoon, I colored & Fixed it in one evening watching TV. Cut my binding and got that sewn on the morning before taking DH to chemo and finished the binding while he was getting his treatment. So all total, about 4 or 5 hrs. AND I LOVE IT... Thank you for your words. They are very inspiring to me.:)

Heidi - I used a thin poly bat from Warm & Natural, I think it is Soft & Bright. I use that for all my personal stuff and donation quilts that I do.;)

Shannon & Julie, you can come to the Moxie Group meeting at my house in Sept and I'll teach you how to do this. No kidding. Anyone who wants to come is invited. ;););)

Patty Jo--that is gorgeous and a wonderful gift for your friend. I bet she was thrilled with the gift and the name!

This technique will be so fun at the September meeting! Can't wait--guess I better get those samples ready--I was going to do a circle with flowers, but maybe I will give your tropical flower design a try on a few of them. Great!

Linda, whatever you decide to do will be fine. The class sample I did when I took the class is very simular to the one that you got at your class, but whatever you decide. We will all go back to our childhoods to coloring #101. Can't wait. :cool:

Patty Jo, your quilt is just beautiful! Someone is going to be very happy!

We have hardy hibiscus here is Iowa. They never

freeze out. They have flowers the size of dinner plates and come in red, white with red centers, several shades of pink and probably more. Want me to send you one? They sell them here this time of year.

Diana

APQS Mill/CQ

Patty Jo that quilt is just exquisite!!!!! I am especially intrigued by the background. You have certainly found a speical nitch for yourself. Can hardly wait for our Sept. meeting. should we all bring colored pencils and what else?

Archived