I hate binding

I'm no binding expert, but I do prefer to do them myself... I like them small and square. I had gotten lax about doing the corners for a while, but now I've decided I like the 2" double fold for a smaller binding.

Ann: I've seen no difference in the bias and the SOG binding, I used to do all mine with bias, but hated using up so much fabric. The SOG seems to be just fine for me.

I would probably never use glue. All the quilts I've made are not just for beauty, but to be used and well loved - so they need to be durable, washable.

Originally posted by Bobbi47

Ann: I've seen no difference in the bias and the SOG binding, I used to do all mine with bias, but hated using up so much fabric. The SOG seems to be just fine for me.

I agree Bobbi I haven't seen much difference in either as well...the only time I bother with Bias bindings is if I have a curve to go around, and that's only because there is enough stretch that I don't have to fight it where SOG does give a BIT of trouble if the curves are to deep....otherwise I call all my bindings on the SOG, and do a french fold.

Bobbie,

The glue is just to hold things together in order to sew it down (either by hand or machine)...instead of pins.

I always use the glue method and give every quilt a good washing to get rid of the glue redidue. I also like to use the glue sticks instead of the bottle glue. I seem to have better control that way...like the 'color change' too! LOL

Nini

I too use a version of Sharon's. I used to pin the binding in place but, since seeing the glue method that is what I am doing currently. Seems WAY easier to me.

I don't sew the binding onto the front side - then press it over and stitch it to the back. If I tried doing that by hand I would still be working on my first quilt.

I stitch it to the back - then, press it over to the front and machine stitch it down. Sometimes I use a three-step zigzag or a decorative stitch but, most often, just a straight stitch.

I'm jumping in here with a recommendation for those of you with arthritis issues and finger problems. I 've used latex finger cots for many years now and I just can't say enough about how much they help me get a grip on the needle when doing any kind of handwork. I was amazed the first time I tried one and now I will not be without them! Most of the LQS's carry them, about 10 to a little bag and tehy last a long time before you have to toss one and start on another one. I would not be able to do any kind of handwork without them.

Archived