Just finished an Antique Satin, Taffeta & Velvet quilt

I did notice that block, Patty Jo, but considered the blue to be lighter than the black in the opposing corner. But you could be right--the piecer could've intended that block to be her humble block, as everything else looks perfect.

Thanks again for sharing this gorgeous quilt.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I love the way your quilted it.what a treasure.the colors are great too. Glad you took the challenge to quilt it. I think it is an honor to the piecer to finish her beautiful work that she was unable to do in her life. Look up to heaven and say "I got your quilt done"' Cheryll

Patty Jo I love the quilt but most of all I love how you quilted it. I have never seen a log cabin quilted like that, using feathers in that way. I may just be able to do that myself although my feathers DO NOT look that good. When you look at the whole quilt it has this shadow box look or window pane effect....anyway, you did a wonderful job and I can't wait to see the next one.

Renae

Thank you all so very much. If you would have asked me 3 yrs ago if I could do something like this, I would have absolutely said no way. My Millie was delivered in June of 06, and with all of your help, tips, pictures, encouragement and very kind words it has been made possible. You all are collectively one of my greatest tools. Thank you. :cool:

Hi Evelyn, RN & Julie - Thank you for your encouragement. I was re-reading a post from about a week ago about Sue Pattons book "Freehand Filler Patterns" and was reading that while I've been taking DH to his appointments, so I give Sue the credit for helping me to think outside of the box on how to do this one. Just trying to NOT quilt thru the velvet as it is getting close to loosing all the nap on it. In fact, I'm a bit leary of having to manhandle it to get the binding stitched on, but I'll go easy and maybe lay it out on a table and just keep turning it as I do the hand work. It's going to be a looonnng nite at the table tonight!;)

:cool:

Originally posted by PattyJo

......I was re-reading a post from about a week ago about Sue Pattons book "Freehand Filler Patterns" and was reading that while I've been taking DH to his appointments, so I give Sue the credit for helping me to think outside of the box on how to do this one..... :cool:

Pat, I so agree that Sue Patten's book is a great "think outside the box" book and that's exactly why I really like this book. I can take her idea and put my own spin on it or use her idea quilting in the block completely. Every time I look at that book creative ideas really start to spin in my head. :)

Thank you Marlette, I had Sue's book for awhile, but never took the time to sit down with it and really focus on what she said. I had quickly thumbed thru it when I first got it, so after Shana posted about it, I really used the time at the Dr's office to READ it. Thanks Sue for opening up some more of this brain of mine and get me out of my ruts into a whole new thinking process. :cool:

Patty,

Reading thru the thread, noticed that you got your machine in 06 - I hope after 2 years that I will be able to do some of the things you do - it really makes me want to come to the Sept Moxie meeting - but alas no way - will finally be getting my free lesson for my Millie that weekend. I know I won't get the wonderful painting class - but at least I get to look forward to learning more than I know now. I will have to get Sue's book - maybe she will have it at Innovations - am taking one of her classes.:)

Hope your DH is still doing better...........

thanks Meg. I'm looking forward to meeting you at Innovations. Are you going to the dinner on Thursday night? As time gets a bit closer, I'm sure that Linda R will start getting a head count.

DH is doing alright. We go in today for hopefully the last of the chemo treatments for awhile.

And thank you for the complement on my quilting. I know that I'm not where I want to be but that I'n not where I was either. So a good thing. When I look at where I started 2 yrs ago and where I am now, I can't believe it. That all comes from PPP. I've probably completed somewhere around 100 donation quilts over the past 2 years so I try most things on them and that is how I learned. That and my small white board that I would practice draw on by the hour with my dry erase markers to get the muscle memory thing going.

I'm going to be one of Sue's teacher aids at Innovations so maybe I'll see you in the class. And I bet she will have some her books there - at least I hope so. :cool:

Patty,

Glad today is the last of the chemo treatments. I am sure he will feel much better once off those horrid, but necessary, drugs.

A very close friend of mine finished hers about 3 weeks ago and she is feeling so much better. The treatments really drug her out. She is in CA so won't see her until Nov. Her extra burden is her significant other - he had a stroke and has just sat on the couch ever since. It is driving her crazy. I keep telling her to take a few days off and get her butt up here (she is also from this area). She won't do it because she is afraid to leave him alone due to falling. I told her to get one of his kids to watch him for a few days. She won't ask any of them because they are "so busy". Those kids are too damn lucky to have someone like my friend watching over their father. So - our little group of best buds just try to keep her spirits up.

I know we will meet at Innovations - yes to the dinner. Will be driving home each night - live about 30 - 40 minutes away. DH will be overseas and I have a little pup to keep track of. Would be more fun to stay down with the group, but really can't see paying for a puppy sitter plus hotel!!! Rather spend my money on LA toys, books and of course fabric. I bought enough fabric the other day to make 6 little kid charity quilts for practice. I think it was you who mentioned doing that when you started. I am not good at just standing at the machine blindly practicing - I need projects!!!

Anyway - really look forward to meeting and take care of yourself & DH:D

Thank you all. I talked to my customer today (she lives in S. Calif) and the next one is getting put on the machine tomorrow (or tonight if I get some energy). This customer was as a result of a referral from another customer here in Salem because they are friends. The Salem customer is going to come over on Monday to look at the quilts and then they will be shipped back to S. Calif. I probably won't have the current one finished by Tues, so will be shipping them separately. Anyway, her friend here will probably be on the phone to her to tell her what her quilt looks like. I sure hope that it meets with her approval. :cool:

Archived