Just finished an Antique Satin, Taffeta & Velvet quilt

I just finished this Antique quilt tonight. It was a bear as some of the fabrics were so fragil that when the needle hit it the threads separated. I warned the customer that this may happen, but she wanted it done and was willing to take a chance. I used Signature on top and prewound YLI bobbins on the back. The back is a black jaquard cotton sateen. Very pretty and adds some stability to the quilt. Here is the whole quilt

2204803400094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

And a close up of one of the blocks...

2698349710094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

and the back...

2519329500094956607S500x500Q85.jpg

This customer sent me 2 quilts - same block but the next one is larger and has a different setting. I've got to come up with a different quilt pattern for the next one just to be different!!! The next one is in much better shape. :cool:

Thanks for looking.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Meg, thank you - I really like the graphic look of this quilt. My customer didn't know how old they were, she found them at a tag sale and fell in love with them. I would say that they are early 1900's but I'm not an expert. She thought they may have been made out of men's ties, but I don't think so - Too many feminine fabrics. The center square is a mix of navy and black velvet squares.:cool:

thank you all for your kind and encouraging comments. I did this all freehand cause if you knew me, I'm way too impatient & want to "get 'er done" to want to mark it or use rulers and such. I just used the center velvet square and first feathered one half of the square using one corner, then SID to opposite corner and feathered the opposite half and then SID back to where I started. Lots of starts and stops on this one. And the border is 4 separate wavy lines that I feather up and back. Thanks again, now on to making the binding & the hanging sleeve. This customer wants "the works" so I'd better get hoppin! :cool:

Oh, and I just spotted a humble block. As I was looking at the pictures to see how many of my mistakes are showing, there it was. I didn't notice it while I was quilting on it. The piecer must have been a neat lady to put in the humble in her quilt.:cool:

Well, Pat maybe it isn't a humble block, but if you look 2nd row up and not quite to the middle, the light side of the block only has 1 light fabric in it. To me it looks like it could be a humble block. But them maybe I'm seeing things. It has happened before!!:cool:

Archived