Curved Piecing Tools

Sams Mom

Hi All!

I am doing a block of the month from Keepsake Quilting which is a drunkard's path with a four inch template. I am struggling a bit with the curved piecing and seem to remember that a few years ago (6 or 7), someone was selling a foot to use that should make this easier. Does anyone have advice for something that will make this easier?

Thanks,

Donna

Donna - I have that same foot, the Curve Master, and yes I love it, you just hold each piece of fabric separately as it goes thru the foot and WA-LA, it all curves together like magic. I haven't tried sharon S's method, but this foot works great. That is how I made this quilt

2117333310094956607S425x425Q85.jpg

As Shana would say - Easy Peasy!!!:cool:

Even with the special foot, you still use the templates. I have the curve master. There is a trick to it so make sure you read the instructions. My ends were not matching up so at the Lowel Quilt Show in August they were demonstrating and they showed me where I was messing up. Now my circles are perfect. Going to do a Queen Size this winter.

Donna, I saw the Curve Master demo at NW Quilt Expo. Someone who is experienced with it makes it look really easy. It sells retail for $30. It's made of plastic and it comes with an attachment for five different shanks. It says on the package that it fits MOST sewing machines.

Someone on this thread mentioned that you can do just as well with tweezers, and there are other tricks to do curved piecing. I'm just throwing out a word of caution: plastic will break and that's $30 down the tube. When you can accomplish the same task with other simpler, less expensive tools, maybe that should be explored before investing in this tool.

Mine is still in the package, never opened it, sitting in my toolbox waiting for that perfect curved pieced quilt to use it on. I'm a little hesitant to use it because of that learning curve. EEeeek. I guess I should just do it.

Hope you have good luck.

I did a quilt a few years ago with the large templates and it wasn't too bad but the smaller size is not as much fun. I will finish this quilt but like some other things, it will simple show that I CAN do it but I think my curved piecing days are limited. You know those quilts that you will never make yourself (Baltimore Album, Double Wedding Ring, are at the top of my list).

My DH suggested last week (there was a program on TV) that there was a lot of money to be made making pagent dresses. I answered.. How many times do I have to tell you, I can't sew!

I will however try Sharon's technique at some point.

I'm busy now trying to be a traditional quilter. Trying desperately to channel Debbi and Heidi on this quilt I'm working on now. It too will be the quilt that shows that I CAN do it.

Oh well.

Donna

Donna! I can't wait to see your quilt. How exciting!

I'm not the calibur of Heidi or Debbi but I will channel my positive thoughts to you. (I've always got the positive thoughts, you know!) :)

[align=center]{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ YOU CAN DO IT! }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}[/align]

[align=center]{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ SHOW US YOUR AWESOME TALENT, DONNA! }}}}}}}}}}}}[/align]

[align=center]{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{{ :):):):):):):) }}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}}[/align]

Well I'd say I'm the "cute one", but mom's a cutie too. Guess I'll have to be the taller one, again. Mom used to be 5'7", and I could give her a hug literally around the neck. Now I catch the top of her head. Serves her right for getting involved with that guy who was 6'6". I'm now the "short one" of the next two generations. The 15yo niece is taller than me, and her 13yo sister is even taller than her! No fair! Maybe I'll finally get to stand in the front row in photos.

• 1 month later...

Archived