Finished this Bella Garden....

Lovely Ardelle,

I have one of these to do for myself....I am afraid to do it!  Few questions.....did you do all the top stitching on all those little applique pieces on your Millie? or did the quilter do it before giving you the top to finish the quilting on?  Mine is still in individual blocks not sown together yet and I am debating whether I have to do the top stitching on the appliques before putting it together on my DSM...and then put it together....I have a lucey and would love to do most of it on her if I could...appreciate any words of wisdom and the sequence of doing one of these....thanks...Lin

Lovely Ardelle,

I have one of these to do for myself....I am afraid to do it!  Few questions.....did you do all the top stitching on all those little applique pieces on your Millie? or did the quilter do it before giving you the top to finish the quilting on?  Mine is still in individual blocks not sown together yet and I am debating whether I have to do the top stitching on the appliques before putting it together on my DSM...and then put it together....I have a lucey and would love to do most of it on her if I could...appreciate any words of wisdom and the sequence of doing one of these....thanks...Lin

Lin,

Yes I stitched down all the little applique pieces on my Milli. A little time consuming, but not that bad. I will NEVER, stitch them on my DSM again! The advantage of stitching them during the quilting step is it quilts them at the same time....

Thanks Ardelle!

Now of course I have questions!  what thread did you use?  I was trying to stare at the stitching to figure that out.  Did you use a clear thread to do all the applique?  Did you change thread colors a lot?  I was planning on using Hobbs 80/20 for the batting and just a good muslin on the back...any words of wisdom?  I am still trying to learn control of my Lucey...and tackling this is probably a really good learning tool!  I think I should maybe invest in a saddle stool too!  I will put a little one I have on first I think ....and then tackle my eight block one...of course...as they are fun to put together on a cold winter's night in northern Minnesota (we have about 7 months of that I think), I also have the otter one and the owl one as kits to do yet....I just better live well into my 90's and still be able to quilt....Lin

Lin,

I did use Monopoly thread for all the applique pieces. Much as I would like to match the treads, it would mean hundreds of thread changes...I used other threads for the feast of the stitching, including some metalic.

I used two battings to make the stitching really pop. A layer of Hobbs 80/20 on the bottom and Hobbs Washable Wool on top.

Just have fun with it....

Archived