? ABOUT ZIPPERS

While at MQX I purchased a set of zippers for my Lenni with a spare set for changing quilts. I don't do customers quilts so I thought one extra should be enough. Well, I have not put them on yet I thought I would get some important advise before I jump in and do it all wrong. the zippers are the correct size so that isn't going to be a problem, however, I really don't know where to begin. any suggestions welcomed.

Also does anyone have any reasons why putting them on may not be a good thing. Does it take longer to get the quilts lined up? all comments and suggestions welcomed it may just keep me from getting frustrated by doing it wrong. thanks Jeanne

Jeanne,

The zippers are really easy and there is not one good reason to not put them on.

You can take your quilts on and off and know that they will line up exactly as they were before you took them off. Am I making sense?

Find center on the zipper and the leader and sew the zipper on then center the other zipper to your quilt and pin or baste it on then zip. Your zippers should be marked with the left on them.

Hope this helps.

Hi Jeanne,

I was hesitant about putting mine on, but since doing it several months ago, I wondered what took me so long!!

First thing to do is to square up your leaders. I believe you can find a post here telling you how, if you search for it. If not, let me know, because I think I kept the instructions somewhere.

After squaring, sew a straight line (using channel locks) across the leaders. Then fold back on the line and stitch in place--this gives you a really firm base to attach your zippers. Then just sew them on and mark the centers. Some people mark them every inch, I didn't (too lazy), but things have come out just fine. Also, get some gross grain ribbon and attach it directly to the zipper--it gives you a bigger base to work with for attaching your quilts. I was sewing mine on using a basting stitch, but now staple them to the gross grain ribbon.

Thanks Collen and Dory for the tips. I have read over the instructions and it sounds pretty easy. Just like you said kind of hesitant to take the plunge. the gross grain ribbons sounds like a good idea to save wear and tear on the zippers and gives a little more room. what width ribbon about 1 inch?

I would think my leaders should be square as I have only done about a dozen quilts on them since I got the table and the leaders were new. Is that a safe assumption do you think?

I'd get maybe 1 1/2" ribbon. I did buy the 1 inch, but I think I could use more room.

Its really easy to square the leaders, so even though you haven't used it much, I'd still do it just to be safe. Do a search for "square leaders," "from the beginning" and you'll get a bit of info from Judy Laquirda about how to. I didn't do mine that way, but it sounds pretty easy.

Wait...I just found my e-mail from Tina Collins on squaring. I'll e-mail it to you...

Just be sure if you get the wider ribbon that you don't pull on it when you stitch it on. Otherwise, it will wave at you. I too think I might like it wider, but until I need to replace my one inch, it works. Also, here's something I did. I used a different color of grosgrain for each leader, the back, the one for the quilt top and the take up roller. That way, when I am pinning on, I know exactly what I am pinning what to. I also marked my leader "pin to this side" cuz I kept getting confused. So, purple for the top of the quilt back, orange for the bottom of the quilt back and turquoise for the bottom of the quilt top ( that was before I started floating all of my tops). You should love your zippers. Every once in awhile I forget to put the fabric under the leveler bar. I just unzip, put it under and zip back up instead of unpinning. Nice. Really nice. Dumb on my part, but easy to fix.:P:P:P:P:P

Nancy

The stupid thing I did when I was putting on my zippers was that I had a deadline and I rushed, and I stitched over one of the teeth. I can get it to work, but it is a hassle. I may end up buying another one.

You'll never be sorry you did the zippers.

So the advice is:

*Do not do it in a hurry

*Do not do it if you will be interrupted.

* Allow yourself a long time even though it doesn't take very much time.

* GO VERY SLOWLY.

Sign me Stupid.

Jeanne,

Go for it! You will love them. Sounds like you've gotten all the right advice. I highly recommend the grossgrain ribbon and I agree that if you can find it wider go wider. Grossgrain doesn't stretch which is super for this! I also used two different colors. One for my take-up roller and a different one for the other ones. I added pull tie to the end of the side that zips on so that I can easily see which way to line it all up. I added the same color loop as the take-up bar to the upper bar zipper. This way I know which one goes where. It works great!

Thanks for all the help, but now I do wish that I didnt do it. Cause guess what happened? I hit the zipper and poof blew out the fuse. Got that changed and then tried to restitch the last half of the 3rd zipper and a not so good sound in the bobbin. Changed the needle but now nothing seems to work. Light is still on and needle up and down work but wont stitch in manual or SR mode. What now. TIMING? Oh well now is my turn to learn about timing or whatever. Will call tomorrow and see what suggestions they have. Darn that I have to go to work in the morning instead of figuring this dilemna out.

OK, dumb question! I have zippers that I need to put on my Millie. I have read several comments about using ribbon and bought some for when I do get around to putting on the zippers.

Do I:

Stitch the ribbon to the leader and then onto one side of the zipper tape?

or

Layer the leader, the ribbon and the zipper on top of one another just so that I can see the color of the ribbon?

I am not sure if the ribbon is used to color code or to make things easier to attach. I hope that I am making sense!

Sue

About those zippers, I stitched each set of my zippers to a doubled length (folded in half) of that blue-striped ticking. Then the ticking was stitched onto the machine's leaders; the opposing side of the zipper is now also stitched onto more blue-striped ticking (You can use the stripes in the ticking as guidelines!). When using the zippers, I baste the ticking, with one side of the zipper, onto the backing fabric. Then, when loading the backing fabric, I just zip it onto the zippered ticking that's stitched onto the leader. Having that 6 inches of striped ticking gives you a bit of space before running into the zipper--in case you're trying to do a panto & are stitching from the back of the machine. You're not so likely to run into that zipper if you have some ticking to stitch into first! I have done that, too, unintentionally, but it sure beats stitching over a zipper. You can always unpick a few stitches if you happen to sew into the ticking, plus you won't have to retime the machine. Wa-hoo!

Clear as mud? Holler if anyone's interested in photos of this set-up.

Pat

AZ:cool:

Mille

I stitched my quilt side zippers onto canvas and then machine bast the canvas to the quilt and backing. Works much the same way as the ticking idea.

I also used a permanent marker and wrote which side the quilt/backing gets stitched to and which way the zipper ends go.

That may sound like extra info you don't need until you stitch them on wrong! I think Darlene even mentioned that on her directions. For thoss of us who may be directonal challenged it sure save a lot of ripping and runing back to the sewing machine. In my case that's 2 flights of stairs. Good exercise but hard on my knees these days.:)

Oh yes, with this method I have no more pricked fingers.:)

Sue, I'll try to post photos of the striped ticking used with zippers. Bear with me, please, if these photos don't come up or are confusing.

First photo should be of the striped ticking attached to Leader #1 and Leader #3. Then attached to the striped ticking on Leader #1 is one-half of the zipper. The other half of this zipper is attached to the ticking that's been stitched onto Leader #3.

post--13461901807346_thumb.jpg

Alright, that seemed to work, so here goes another.

These zippers are made of a plastic material; therefore, they seem to get a little wonky & want to buckle a bit when the opposing side from another set gets zipped onto them. See next photo.

This is a photo of a set of zippers attached to the striped ticking, then the ticking has been basted onto your quilt backing. The quilt backing has now been zipped onto one side of the zippered leader that resides on the machines leaders. Notice the buckling--it's ugly, but can be controlled.

post--13461901807526_thumb.jpg

Archived