Quilter's Eye - new tool

Throw away your mirrors, somebody heard our wish.

I was in the Quilted Rose today and they showed me a new gadget called a Quilters Eye. It is a tiny camera, 4 tiny lights on a piece of plastic 1.5" square that gets attachedto the side of the machine near the bobbin area. The camera points up at the backing. You can see every stitch. Puckers no more. The other part of it is a small monitor that sits on top of the machine (about the size of a dvd case) that displays what the camera sees. It is so cool. It will fit on all longarms. They have already gotten the patents for all the parts and plan to start marketing it soon. Price ? No idea.

Here's a photo of the flyer:

quilters-eye.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I agree w/Sherry. It says, and I quote: "you will see a magnafied "portion" of your quilt."......."portion" is the key word. I doubt it\'s going to show right where you are currently stitching. If it does, i\'d say it may be worth the hundreds of $$ they\'re asking for it. Dont get me wrong....I think it\'s a wonderful idea, just wondering how much you would have to frog out of it once you can see that your tension is off.

The camera w/lights is screwed onto the outside (left) of the head which makes the camera about a 1.5 to 2 inches from the needle. It is focused on the stitching directly above the camera or 1 - 2 inches from your needle. I have had to frog out a whole row of quilting because my bottom tension was bad. Yuck. A couple inches of frogging would be less time. Of course, you would have to turn the fish finder unit on and you would have to look at it to see the birds nest.

It is a close-up camera. I thought that maybe a webcam would do the job but those cameras are not meant to focus on something that is only 1 - 2 inches away.

Also, I\'m thinking that this would be more useful for machines that do not have a built-in thread cutter.

I think that it would be useful for those times when you are trying a new thread and you are uncertain of the tension. I have always just used a mirror and a flashlight to look under the quilt. Visibility is not always good. It\'s a PITA but it was all that was available. I am not crazy about rolling the quilt to look at the back and then rolling it back... for me, that just adds the possiblity of puckers. Yikes.

The only thing slowing me down is the price. I\'ll be interested in seeing the price when it comes out.

• 2 weeks later...

For that price, I could buy digital cameras for both hands, and a spare! I use the macro mode to take photos, playback function, and enlarge the photos in the camera\'s viewing screen to see the stitch detail. Besides, crawling around under the quilt helps me stay flexible, and gets me doggy kisses too if Jack is around. :)

This actually seems like a fairly easy thing to accomplish with existing technology...I would guess others will "modify the idea" it and sell it cheaper...Someone w/a mid-level background in cameras/computers could likely accomplish this fairly easily...A trip to your local spy store, perhaps?

Ok so here is a thought. I got a camera for my office, cost $100 and I can see people who enter the suite. I\'m in a side office and can\'t see who is coming in so when my assistant is out I\'m on my own. It work wonderfully! I think I could mount the same thing under my quilt and just hook it to my laptop and have a consistent view of the bottom for a whole lot less!

I don\'t like spending that much money on anything but I am not convinced that any old digital camera will do the job. Optics are big business.

I know my last digital camera could not take close-ups, it always blurred even from 6 inches out. 2 inches out, forget it. My new camera does allow me to get close-ups, I can get those nice 6-inch shots. I\'m going to try to see what I get when I get 2-inches away. Well, I couldn\'t use my flash or I would get white-out. I don\'t think that I can replicate those 4 tiny bright lights with my digital camera. The little viewer, fishfinder as Mary Beth describes it, is another thing entirely. That looks like one of those little portable car DVD screens and it sits on top of your control panel at the front of the machine.

The next time I am in the Quilted Rose, I\'ll see if they will let me take a photo of the camera as it sits under the quilt so you can see how close it is.;)

I bet there will be one of these babies at MQS. :cool:

Linda,

The camera I have isn\'t like a digital camera. It is a live feed of whatever it is pointed at. At work I have it at the main door and I can see very well a lot of detail. It works super for the purpose I put it there, which is to give me a picture on my computer of who might be headed for my office, especially when I\'m there alone. I can even log onto the network and watch from home. LOL had fun yesterday because I was home with car problems so I turned on the camera to keep an eye on the place. I saw one of ours students come in and my boss was going to help. Now you have to picture a very smart man with no common sense! LOL he really does try to help everybody but there are some things he shouldn\'t do. I called my assistants phone (she was out too with car problems) and my boss answered...I knew he would. I said to him, "so what are you looking for?" He had forgotten about the camera and started laughing.

I really think the camera will work to see the underside of the quilt, you would just have to have a computer or laptop to get a good view of the underneath.

Archived