metal extended base?

Now that my divorce is finally done and my machine is officailly mine I can do some things including post on the forum.

I've heard about a lightweight metal extended base for our machines. My plexiglass one broke in the move and have been borrowing a friend's. I'm really interested in finding out more about this base and where to get one. If anyone knows about it please post some info.

Thanks jeri

Thanks. Didn't realize it was Donita's design. How much bigger is it than the Hartley? I don't like the size or the tippieness of the Hartley.

My homemade one was awesom as it was big enough that rulers-even big circles didn't wobble on it. My ex-DH made it and I managed to break it when I was moving out. Have checked into having an improved version of it made and so far it's not cost effective. I don't have the tools to be able to do it myself.

jeri

It fits trust me ;)...she has a typo in her website...we have talked about it and she has said she was going to fix it, but she just hasn't done it yet.

As long as you order the one that says APQS and states no thread cutter it will fit the ULT II's

Jeri,

My Hartley extended base is really snug on my Mille. What machine do you have? Also I now have the new model which surrounds the throat plate with just a slot to let the needle bar through when you slide it on. I had a little trouble when I tried to use the area behind the needle on the old base It let the ruller dip and snag on the base sometimes. The new design doesn't have that problem.

Hi Jeri,

Glad to hear your back on track after your long drawn out ordeal. :)

I have Donna 's metal ruler mate, also. I am like Bonnie, I love it. I love the easy way it comes on and off.

I have not tried leaving it on all of the time, but now I am going to try it after reading Bonnie and Laura's letters. ( Dear ones I learn so much from you.) Thanks, thanks,and more thanks.:)

I don't have a Hartley, so I don't know how that stacks up. It would be nice I think if it could be a little wider at times, but for the most part I think it works really good. I do a huge amount of applique.

Good luck on your hunt.

Carolj.

I have Donita's RulerMate on my Millie - came with it and the only time it has come off is to clean under it, and to take the head to the factory for its "spa treatment." I love it, but my DH did have to raise my leveler roller and the quilt top roller so that the extended base would slide nicely underneath them, instead of bumping into them and limiting the quilting space. I love mine and wouldn't have anything else - but I've never used anything else, either.

Barb, HI! I use my Hartley base extender and have no problems. But it does bump into the front roller bar and cuts down on my quilting space. From what you said, can I move my roller bar up without messing up my quilting so it won't hit? That would be nice!! Is there a certain way to do it? My hubby will be the one doing it if I can move it.:) Thanks for the info!! linda

Joanne, I have the broken base. Sorry that I haven't answered earlier especially since I started this but life has been busy. It's made from plexiglass and I thought I had posted a photo several years ago but instead e-mailed it to someone. I'll find the parts and try to post a picture. It's not pretty but worked well. Might be the week-end as one of my kids and her DH have piled my garage with stuff that they still need to move to Colorado--promised they'd be back in 4 weeks --it's now been eight--it's somewhere in the piles!! I need to get out there and get it looking better anyway as I'm changing realtors next week.

Debbie, I have a 2002 Mille. I tend to push down harder than I should on rulers so the base tips forward. I really liked the size of my homemade one as the larger rulers weren't off on unsupported fabric which makes them much more stable and accurate to use.

Archived