Singer Featherweight

i recently came across a featherweight in an antique store and for the price, couldn't let it stay. (i'm so happy to FINALLY get one) Now my question. It workes great! but cosmetically, it's lacking, so i was thinking that i would sent it to 'that guy' that paints them any color you want. So:

1. has anyone here done this?

2. who did it?

3. was it worth it?

i know that doing this will 'devalue' it, but it's not a big deal to me, i'm not a collector. I just want a lime green featherweight.

;)

thanks

Okay, I'm going to confess something here...I have six featherweights. The first time I went on Ebay to get one I ended up with four (I think) and sold one to my sister. I kept the other three cuz one was an anniversary, one a gold badge, and one was a black badge. All were straight face plates. Then I went back on ebay cuz a friend of mine had a scroll face plate model and I had to have one of those, so I ended up with three more. Isn't this sad. I have to ban ebay from my life. And I have to go Featherweight Addictions Annonymous! I'd better stay away from Vegas! Dory and Nancy, I will let you know if I decide to sell one or two. I probably will. I need to get through November 1st with deadlines that I have and then I will take the time to look them over and decide which ones I will part with. They are all the original black and I think I would probably have a scroll plate to sell and a straight plate. They are all in working order. Help me! (I still kind of want a free arm featherweight, though.)

Thanks,

Robin

I too have the Featherweight addiction. My birthday gift to myself this year, was a Freearm 222k from ebay. Couldn't help myself when a white 221k also came up for a good price on ebay. Still looking for a nice scroll plate 221. I have taken the white to my Quilting Group and they were impressed with both it and the New York Beauty I was piecing on it.

Nancy and Dory....you both are TOO funny. I have to say no...can't do that. The one that I would/might consider color change is one that I got this summer off Ebay...

but the one I WOULD never change or give away is a special gift from one of my SPECIAL BIL's (I have 6)...Dale knew how much I wanted one...saw it in a sewing shop and bought it for me without his wife (my sister knowing it, until he got it home)...can you imagine that. He had gotten one for my sister, but when I mentioned that I would have sex with the devil to have one also he decide he needed to save my Virtue. I will never part with that one....I can starve before that happens....its way to special to me. So sorry guys....you will have to fight over the other one.:cool::P;)

It sounds like we are all really ill. I forgot, I still want a white one. My sister got a white one in mint condition at a thrift store in Fargo, ND for $25.00. The case and everything in mint condition. I hint strongly that she can leave it to her favortie sister (she has 5 sisters) if she goes first! I hope I'm her favorite!

Robin

Here is his website

http://home.cablelynx.com/~rambo2/Colors/index.htm

his email is: rambo2@cablelynx.com

I had spent months trying to find that paint code Playboy pink 1965

I am thinking the next one cherry red or robin egg blue you know that great 1950's blue!!

they are fun! and he basically gives it an overhaul when he paints it! the foot petal gets painted too. it takes about 2 to 3 weeks

enjoy I got a kick out of this thread!

Darn you guys. I have successfully stayed away from ebay since I went nuts after seeing Joann Hoffman's gorgeous hanky quilt. I now have enough hankies, enough vintage quilt tops, enough vintage quilts. Now I must NOT go to ebay to look at featherweights. No Nancy, No. Bad Nancy. No ebay. Ok, I'll check back in after I see what's on ebay.:D:D:D:D:D

I recently had one featherweight painted red and am getting ready to send another to have it painted dark purple. The guy I use lives in Arkansaw. You can contact him at

rambo2@cablelynx.com

He does a great job! He also painted the foot pedal the same color. I love it!!!!!!!

The machines aren't rare so I was very comfortable having it painted. Plus, the finish on the machines was terrible. Like you, I just them for my personal use and potentially little granddaughters to learn to sew on someday. Good Luck and tell Gerald that Lisa from Prior Lake, MN referred you. :D

I agree, he is great!!!!! I can't wait to get my "Bessie Jewell back from him. I named my first one after my grandmother "Little Lil" and the new one is named after my husbands grandmother. You couldn't make that name up if you tried. I love it. .......hmmmmm, maybe if I can find #3 I could name it after... ME!!!!!! ;)

Enjoy your machine!!!!!!!

Lisa

Archived