bobbins, steel or aluminum?

Hi Cathey,

I've only ever used the aluminum bobbins as that is what came with my Millie and Lenni to start with. I have just kept on ordering the aluminum ones. So I cannot really compare if there is a difference between the metal or aluminum ones, I am happy with the results I am getting with the bobbins I have.

The aluminum bobbins are the recommended bobbins for the turbo bobbin winder.

Metal ones seem to be heavier than the aluminium ( I have both) so I think you need to use the same weight bobbin with the same weight of thread all through a project otherwise the difference in weight may alter the tension on the bobbin thread (especially if you don't have a towa guage to check the tension) . The aluminium ones wind much better on the turbo winder also.

I have allllll Metal bobbins about 200 of them give or take the ones I've lost on the road, or crushed in my travels LOL I have used them on the Milly, Freedom, Liberty and Discovery, with all different types of threads and never had any problems with them. I like the fact that they have the little holes on the one side so it makes starting a bobbin quick and easy on the stand alone winder. APQS sends out the aluminium bobbins now because they are said to have less friction... I think what ever you have... if it's working well for you then there is no need to change...

• 1 month later...

I only use the aluminum bobbins. I got rid of my metal bobbins. My Ultimate II seems happier when I wind my own bobbins.

I tried the Sharon Schamber "Bobbin Genies" and couldn't tell any difference at all in my tensions.

I do use TOWA bobbin tension gauge and I use Bottom Line or So Fine to wind my bobbins.

It has taken me a long time to get a good combination going with which bobbins, which threads my machine likes. I hardly every change brands, weights or types of threads.

Superior LAVA and King Tut with some Perma Core thrown in once in awhile on top, and the Bottom Line and So Fine in the bobbin---keeps me and the machine very happy!;)

This issue has been discussed several times on this forum. Search for bobbins for the threads. The aluminum bobbins weight less so they have less mass. They should stop spinning easier than steel because of that. .Physics tells us they should be superior to the steel ones but in practice we do not see the difference. We have been using steel ones since 1996 with good results. At this time I only stock and sell the steel ones but that may change. I just ordered a few hundred to stock for sale.

Dib:

I do not have any experience with the plastic ones. They should have less mass but my first thought that they would not be as durable as the metal ones. As soon as I get my new shipment of bobbins in I will be running a special on metal bobbins and bobbin cases. I'll put it on our website and probably post the sale on the Forum.

John

We do carry the encoder wheels. For all orders we only charge cost of parts plus actual shipping (normally USPS first class parcel post) costs. No packing or handling. We normally have a $10 minimum order. Without this the shipping envelope becomes a major factor in our costs. We do accept MC and Visa or check.

Hope this helps,

John

I have the bobbin genies. I can see no advantage. As a matter of fact, when I changed the bobbin I didn't realize the genie had fallen on the floor and the bobbin ran just fine w/nothing in the case but the bobbin. Go figure!!! I decided to scrap the genies and went back to the check spring. If it ain't broken, don't fix it!!

Hi Marie,

;) I had the same exact experience--- with the bobbin Genies

John: I did notice ---a lot of difference on my Ultimate II with the steel bobbins. I have since given mine all away and only use the aluminum now---

The only thing I really miss with the aluminum bobbins is I have several of those wood Bernina magnetic strip bobbin holders in my supply tote stacked side by side across the bottom, and I can't really use them anymore with the aluminum :(

• 6 months later...

Yes, I have the Ultimates (I & II) and they both will work with either the metal or aluminum bobbin. But I've always used the metal ones myself. I have both the turbo winder and the old winder and I seem to like the old one better. I'm able to get a little more thread on the bobbin compared to the aluminum, and the old winder seems to run faster also. As of right now i have no use for the turbo winder due to the fact that I have nothing to wind on it. I know that the turbo is for the L class bobbin, but when I had a gammill with the M class, it wouldn't wind the M class bobbin. It seems that the M class was a tad bit too wide. So i just use the metal bobbins. Regards, zeke.......

Archived