Sometimes the client just doens't understand!

We got a phone call today from the local fabric store saying that a lady had dropped off a quilt for us to do ... BEFORE Christmas! Yikes.. We're not super busy but we stopped taking quilts to do before Chistmas back in the beginning of November. We still have a baby quilt to finish piecing and quilt, a couch size quilt to make into a queen (wish us luck) and two wall hangings to do... none of which will take super long but to throw in an unexpected quilt for a lady we have never done anything for is crazy. I phoned her tonight and explained that we were super busy and that we probably wouldn't have time to do it and she was less then friendly. ARRRGH! Not to mention that she probably expects it to be done for about $20. LOL could be worth giving her the sticker shock :::grin:::

sorry for the small vent.

Meghan

Don't feel guilty about this situtation. I'm sure you told your shops to stop taking in quilts that were due for Christmas back in the beginning of November. If the lady cannot accept what you had to say it's too bad. Your not wonder women remember. I have had to say no twice this season and they must understand and know you'll accept the quilt, but it will be done after christmas. Business is business.!!!!!!!!!

The LQS should have enforced the Novemeber deadline. Taking her quilt would be unfair to others who could not meet your deadline. If she can't understand that you can't get it done before Christmas, you don't need her for a customer, especially if she's not so nice about it. I bet her top is all wonkey, I think that's the word we're using now.

If the LQS knows you have stopped taking quilts for Christmas why did they accept it as such... At least the LQS that I worked with would honor that request...and they never never did this to me...if it was to late for Christmas it was to late, end of story. I would try to explain again to the LQS that you can't do it. Your obligations to others have exceeded your time and its totally out of the question...regardless if its a tiny crib or a huge king its not going to get done...period.

I also have had three different people ask me just last week if I could get" just one more" done before Christmas for them.... I still have 4 after Christmas quilts downstairs to do and I finished my last Christmas quilt last Friday...I gently told them I wish I could but that I just could not get it finished before Christmas...be glad to do it in Jan for them though...two of them were friends but I was firm... all the while thinking ... you know the saying... (your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part)... can't blame them for trying but I still needed some time for my family and we are headed out of town...

maybe next year they will plan ahead more?

Vicki

Just say "no" :)

However, there must be a trick to that!! I said "no" to a customer and then she told me the kid is now 4 years old and it was suppose to be his present when he was born, so she doesn't mind if it is done the week after Christmas. HA! I'm an idiot, I went by her house and picked it up....I have a terrible time saying "no" and I am trying to cut down on business:)

Never mind....don't listen to me :)

I'm very much a "people pleaser" and have had a terrible time saying "no" especially trying to build a client base. BUT I've started to actually say the word "no" and it feels pretty good. I'm enjoying the holiday season this year because of it. We do have our limits - go to the mirror right now, and say NO - see you can do it!!!!

Happy Holidays

Sharon

Your choice! :)

I guess it depends on the quilting (time) necessary to do this "rush job" quilt in time for Christmas. You could talk to the customer and if it's an e2e panto or e23 freehand quick design you could do this in a few hours max. Maybe you can do this? Maybe you can't. Depends on the time it will take.

Last week, I had a quilt guild member give me three lap sized quilts that were for her grandchildren for Christmas. All she wanted was a medium jigsaw meander e2e on all three of them. I had all three of them done in three hours (1 hour each which included pinning on to the leaders). I made a quick $100 bucks in three hours. Not bad!

She was happy and I was happy. I love happy endings! :)

What a nice problem to have, too many quilts not enough time! But with that said I would not have taken the quilt and I can guarantee you if you got it all done tomorrow she would not get the binding done before christmas.

Hope it works out for you. Remember to enjoy some of the holiday time for yourself and family.

Missy in Florida

I try to limit my quilting to 8 tops per month (I have a day job) and realized this year that 8 is too many! I struggled in August, again in September, yadda yadda. That's when "no" started to come out of my mouth!!:D

I booked 8 quilts for November and 4 in December--wanting to be finished by the 15th so I could have a Christmas this year. I did pretty well--my spots were full by September 1. Then this ugly economy reared its head and I made carefully worded calls to my customers about their quilts. A few wanted to spend their holiday resources on other gifts so they pushed ahead to February or March. The rest said the quilts were planned as Chrisrmas gifts so go ahead. It freed up a few breather spots for me and allowed me to nudge a few others into the Christmas line-up. And I took a "take-pity-on-me-it's-for-my-grandson-I-don't-care-if-it's-ready-the-24th" quilt which is loaded now. Unfortunately while loading I found the dreaded humility block. Sigh. She is a beginner, it is a very obvious mistake, I will spend this evening fixing it and I will not tell her. It is my secret gift that will warm my heart. But, if I wasn't caught up I wouldn't do it!! :P:P

I hope everyone is quilting joyfully and soon to be done with customers and their own gifts!!

I had to turn away several this week, 3 today alone.

Not only am I not quilting customer quilts for the next 3 weeks, I am not even accepting appointments either. :)

All of my regular customers understand and booked appointments for the first full week in Jan. Where as new customers are not too happy that I

1) have a 6-8 wk turn around

2) that I am taking the rest of the year as vacation time and won't be accepting appointments until Jan.

One of the ladies that called tonight sounded pretty stressed and wanted to drop off a quilt tonight and then wanted it done before Christmas...told her sorry but I couldn't help her and told her that most long armers have a 4-6 wk turn around and most likely no one would be able to help her out. I suggested that she either wraps up the unquilted top and give that but then take back the quilt to have it quilted or that she could take a pic of the quilt top and give the pic along with a note explaining that the quilt will be late due to time constraints (wanted to say pour planning on her part). She didn't like any of my suggestions...she must have called the quilt shop to get other long armer #'s because she called back within an hour pleading her case thinking that she hadn't talk to me yet. She was more frazzled the 2nd time I talked to her then the first time I talked to her.

I agree, sticking to "NO" is definately liberating in this business this time a year.

I spent my whole day Christmas shopping (started it and finished it today). Tomorrow I am starting in on my cookie baking and will be up to my elbows in flour and sprinkles and such through out the weekend. Then I need to clean house, do laundry, & wrap presents on Monday & Tuesday I need to do some last minute baking for Christmas eve that is being held at our house. I will be cutting it close but it can be done. ;)

Originally posted by Sewsoft

. I phoned her tonight and explained that we were super busy and that we probably wouldn't have time to do it and she was less then friendly. ARRRGH!

Meghan

I'd call her back and make it a clear "No" - she sounds like she could be a PITA that you'd regret anyway. No need to add any grief to your plate, you know?

If you feel bad, you could always put it back on the fabric store - "Our deadline for accepting Christmas work was the first of Nov., I don't know why the fabric store didn't tell you that, perhaps they forgot. You might try Quilter B or C in town, maybe they can accomodate you."

If you take a quilt from her now, then that really isn't fair to the first customer that asked on the first day of December, or the other ones that asked in the interim.

If they are going to make exceptions, then why make the rule?

But if they do, they should make a list and say, "put your name on the list, and if there is a cancellation or an opening, we'll call you." That way, the first one that asked would be first in line.

Also, with a list in front of her, the lady may have realized that she's not the only "special" customer to have asked!

OK, when I was doing needlepoint finishing for a needlework shop, my cut-off for Christmas completion was the week-end before Thanksgiving. My last delivery to the shop was the weekend before Christmas.

I was usually able to complete stuff by the week before Christmas - but there was always someone calling the shop mid December or even later, whining and begging - "Oh, please!, I just put the last stitches in! And it's a Christmas stocking for my crippled about to die granddaughter!", or some other crock. There really aren't any quilting or needlepoint emergencies.

Mind you, I wasn't an employee of the shop; I was an independent contractor. The shop would take in the work and explain that I was closed for the year, and they would get it to me in January, but I MIGHT consider the job if they were willing to pay time and a half. And as Sammi357 said - have the shop make a signup sheet for people who are willing to pay a premium price, but explain it is the quilter's choice whether or no to accept the job. So the shop would call, if a customer was willing to pay the premium. Sometimes I would do the job, but it was my decision. Some years the late customers had to go to the needlework shop, pay the invoice there, and then drive 28 miles to my house to pick up the stocking on Christmas Eve. Heck no, I wasn't making that drive for them.

Decide what your policy is. Have a contingency policy - If it's a week before Christmas, charge MORE! They will either get their act together the next year, and best case, if you decide to do the job, you get a premium price for your efforts.

Archived