Special Quilt

First, let me apologize for the picture. I am using a new software picture program and have not mastered the resizing yet.

This quilt is for a client whose father died suddenly and violently. I would assume he died during active duty but I am not sure.

This quilt has a story. The young lady who brought me this quilt had sent all of the clothes and patches to a woman in another state to have the quilt made and quilted. The customer also sent a check with the materials for 1/2 payment.

Anyway, the lady skipped town with the money and the clothes. My client hired a private investigator to go to Ohio, find the woman and threaten to file felony mail fraud charges in order to get the clothes back. The PI got the clothes back but not the money.

I shared this story b/c I just can't believe how hurtful some people can be!

I want this quilt to be really special for this young lady. She got one of friends that knows how to sew but had never made a quilt before to do this top. I think she did a great job.

So please give me some suggestions.

Thanks

Sandra

post--13461901014702_thumb.jpg

I absolutely love this quilt....love that she was able to get the clothes back first, but the quilt is great...the army fatigues both regular and looks like Desert Storm issue... The chest and arm patches just about did me in....and I honestly feel that this is such a touching quilt. She will love it for the rest of her life.

I'm making the second of 2 quilts for a customer who lost her dad to cancer. SHe brought me a whole bag of his work shirts and wanted a 16 patch quilt made. I added 2 pockets on 2 of the blocks and just meandered the whole thing. We never even thought about doing something as inspired as yours. It looks so sentimental. Other than outlining the applique and a nice soft fill I would let the quilt shine.

Are those his active chevrons I see on the top and bottom of the quilt along with his name tags and unit? It is indeed a quilt to keep forever. I love the leaves, so livley and colorful as if to celebrate his life. Indeed, he was well loved and so be it with this quilt. Beautiful!

I am not sure if the chevrons were active at the time of death or not. Yes!!! crosshatching on the fatigues will be perfect! I am really looking forward to doing this quilt.

I just hope I make it thru!! My brother is retired Army and served in Desert Storm. His son, is on his 3rd tour in Iraq right now. He just finished ranger school.

Finally, my cousin was killed in Iraq on June 1st this past year.

I think I will just take a nerve pill before I start. I will post when I finsh.

Thanks ya'll

Sandra

Sandra,

Here's something unique and meaningful. Do you have nice handwriting? Or know someone who can write a pretty clear message with a pigma pen? If so this is what I think would be cool.

Ask your client to give you some facts and milestones about her dad's life. For example, When I saw all of the vines I thought of them as pathways in life. THat these pathways were what this man did, how he lived, where he grew up, who he married, when, how many children, his grandchildren, what he was most proud of,,,,,etc. Each little area along the vine where I've marked in red you could write a significant milestone of his life:

(Father's name) was born on (date) in (town) to his parents (names).

(Father's name) had (number and names of siblings)

(Father's name) met (wife name) on and they married on (date)

(Father's name) had (number of children and names)

(Father's name) had (number of grandchildren and names)

(Father's name) served in (military details) the army troop, where he served during his military career.

Achievements and sentimental impacts he left for his friends and loved ones.

How he lived, who he loved, what he was proud of, etc.........

Write a simple milestone (short sentences) along the vines.

Then for quilting I would use a thread that blends into the white background (swirls, etc) and do a nice fill that might look cool with the vines and leaves. If you want to use perhaps Monopoly thread so you can quilt right over the words and sentences.

post--13461901015213_thumb.jpg

Sandra this story and quilt brings tears to my eyes. what an honor to be given the privilege of quilting it. I know whatever you do it will be beautiful.

shana you are just full of such talent. Wonderful suggestions.

Sherry, I have to echo sheri B. dro pdead gorgeous quilting

Archived