Feeling the crunch??

Since I have ordered my Millennium, I've been wondering if any of you have noticed a drop off in business since the economy keeps getting worse??

I'm just hoping I have not made a huge mistake and will have to wait a few years to get customers.

There is a Bernina dealer who used to do longarming, and does not anymore. She told me they would pass out my name, as they know of no one. Of course, I will take samples for her show potential customers.

I also belong to 2 quilt guilds. One is mostly hand quilting people. The other has about 50 members, of which 2 or 3 have the HQ16, and 2 have Gammills.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, and I love you girls! And guys!

Linnea;););)

Hi Linnea! I got my machine just a year ago last week. I started taking customer quilts about April. I have not by any means been backlogged, but I have had a nice steady flow of quilts coming through. My thought, for at least around here is the economy hasn't hit the quilters....yet. It HAS it everything else! I borrowed my $ for my Gracie (aka Millie):) from my parents, so I don't have to be so nerves about making my payment to a bank. I am of course paying them monthly, but I don't have to have an exact amount. That is really nice. I appreciate my mom and dad so much! When I asked them if they would help me start a business, they were so supportive! And they want to come and see each quilt that I do! They oooh and ahhh over them, and makes me feel special!!:) I also have a part time job that helps me pay some bills! I personally don't think you've made a mistake...... Have fun.... You'll love it!!!!! linda

I have to believe that even though people may have to put off buying big ticket items like cars and trips for the time-being, they will keep up with their craft. People have to have something to keep them happy! I think that maybe I'll see a little slow down if people don't "have" to have that quilt done right away, but I don't think business will dry right up. This is my prediction anyway, hope I'm right!

Linnea,

I think it all depends on your skill level and learning curve. I always am sure to bring samples to show at guild and that has been my main mode of advertising. I have a small business and now have an official waiting list! I have been in business just over a year. It has been slow but I kind of liked it that way and didn't have to rely on business to pay for my machine. That took a lot of the pressure off. I work full-time outside the home so my quilting is limited to nights and weekends. I try to quilt at least 2-3 nights a week and one day of the weekend. That is realistic in my world and it works. I also book in time to do my own things. I didn't get a machine originally to start a business but hubby encouraged me to. How can you say no to a man that has made your coffee for you every morning for the last 28 years, minus the days he was deployed or off on a business trip! I love quilting for others and it is so exciting when a customer sees their quilt and squeals with delight! You will be fine. The more proactive you are about getting samples out there the better off you will be.

Thanks girls! Whew!

I don't have to "make a living" from quilting, but I want to be able to replace the money I'm spending!

I am very lucky that my husband has a secure job with good medical benefits. This house, and another house in Amish country is paid for! So, no mortgages, thankfully.

I just know tons of people are struggling out there.

I could do charity quilts and QOV for free to start. I'd just charge for batting and thread. Except, I think there are people out there who would have me do the freebies and I'd never see them again! Maybe 1 per person wold be a good way to go.

Sorry this is so long, but tons of ideas rambling through my brain!

Linnea, The advice that I have received from the ladies that know what they're doing:P has been do NOT do freebies. Give a nice discount if you want, but do not quilt for free. That has been good advice. Now doing a charity quilt is different, but from what I've seen on this chat, you want to have a limit on those too. I know about the tons of stuff going through your head!! Keeps it spinning, doesn't it?:D Keep thinking things through and put your questions on here!! I still ask LOTS of questions!!! This chat is the best! linda

Linnea,

Another thing that I do is I always print the invoice with the normal price and then list a discount. That way they can see they got a deal! As you are more confident then you can reduce the discount and make more money. I never gave away freebies, just started with a 50% discount for the first few and then 25% and now 10% only for guild members since they are my main customers. If I get overwhelmed with quilts I'll get rid of the discount and come up with a reward system for repeat customers.

I do LA quilting as a PT business because I also work FT outside the home. Most of the time one is waiting when the last one comes off the rack. My business is word of mouth only, my machine is paid for, so I pretty much just enjoy the ride. I truly love doing quilts for others. But If the customer wants more than what I feel qualified to do, I refer them to a top notch / show quilter friend.

I have a 6th Quilt Top Promotion. I figure the average price of the previous 5 quilts, then discount 50% of that average on the 6th Top. I have several customers who are

excited to be nearly ready to cash in on their prize, (I've been doing this less than a year)

I actually feel this PROMOTION has helped business, and keeps my customers coming back to me. I tell them about my Promotion when they Pick-up their 1st quilt.

Terry

Yep, make sure you have business cards. Nice ones. Pass them out and put them in the "Girly" shops like Hair Salon, Nail Salons, Boutiques, quilt shops, gift shops....talk your business up with the owners when you ask if you can leave them there.

We have a lot of quilters that are not in guilds and who do not always frequent the quilt shops but everyone knows someone who has made a quilt or maybe has their grandmother's quilt top that still needs to be completed.

Over 25% of our business the first year came from our business cards.

Hi Linnea. I can really feel your excitement!

Me? I mainly bought this machine for "Me" and my fullfillment of fun and creativity. I work full time outside the home with good salary and bennies, so this quilting biz is "fun" for me. My DH suggested I start a small business so we could get a tax break and I could write off expenses and depreciate the machine. My plans were to "go slow" and take my time. I have never advertized and get all of my customers through word of mouth from my guild or referrals from other longarmers in my area. I don't have a backlog and never have had one. I am happy if I get 2 or 3 quilts a month. I want to have fun quilting my own stuff, too (which is the reason I bought this thing in the first place!).

Really, I have been quilting on my machine a year now. Depending on your level of quilting skills, I suggest that you don't jump in head first right away expecting to rake in the bucks with lots of customers. Give yourself at least 1 year; maybe 2 years to really develop a client base and build up a good reputation. Try to be pragmatic and realistic with your business goals and don't expect too much starting out.

I broke my foot (heel bone) which has set me back. I have suffered through a long and very painful recovery. In fact, I still have a lot of pain (which really concerns me--I need to go see the doc about it--I might need another surgery! :() and it hurts me to stand for long lengths of time, but I bare with it. Following my injury, I truely could not stand up and quilt for long lengths of time until early 2008. In looking at where I am now, and looking back in 2008 when I really began quilting, I have noticed some big improvements in my skills. Practice a lot and give yourself some room to learn and develop skills before you allow yourself to quilt for customers.

It is very very expensive starting up. You have a lot of up front expenses that include taking classes, buying tools and thread and books, training DVDs, etc... Take it easy and slow. Baby steps.

I have been in business since 2005 so I have some previous years to compare with.

I bought my machine new with cash/without a payment plan this took lots of pressure off me right away. Then I made up brochures and business cards and put them only in 1 LQS (luckily for me the quilt shop was brand new and they didn't have any other longarmers advertising there yet) I also offered the owner an advertising deal for me which was I would quilt up to 4 quilt samples per year for free for her (these have been all wall-twin size quilts) this way my name is on the quilts as the quilter and the quiltshop has something to show their customers when they are looking for a quilter. It brought in a lot of business for me. I also offered a 25% discount my quilting for my 1st year then reduced that to 15% off my second year (it helps to establish a customer base) which mine is now over 100 repeat customers (that have come back year after year). In 2007 I did away with my discounts per quilt and came up with a promotion to encourage my repeat customers to keep comming to me, I started a promotion called "a Quilter's Dozen" after the customer has brought me 12 quilts their 13th quilt is free. My customers love this and it has kept them loyal.

Last spring however I did notice that business was starting to slow down due to the ecconomy, I even posted here about it and asked a simiular question as yours.

My customers told me (when asked) that they were mostly using stash fabrics instead of buying new fabrics and that they were either sitting on the quilt tops waiting until the economy got better (alot of my customers lost about 40%in the stock market since last fall and before that was the high cost of fuel and food) any ways they decided to either hold onto their tops, attempt to do stitch in the ditch on their sewing machines or tie them instead of sending them to a quilter.

So this past Oct I started a new promo called "The Depression Prevention Special" how this works is I am willing to quilt anysize quilt using the "inkblot" pattern (basic light density meander) for $50. using only 1 thread color choice. It is a no frills, no extra attention to the quilt (like trimming the quilt up after etc..) all of my other patterns are still full price. I am running this promo until the Dow Jones Industrial Average gets back to the 10,000 mark (it could take another year at the rate the stock market is going ;) ) but this promo has really worked! Most of the quilts that I get for this promo are large lap to small queen in size and I can do 2-3 per day because the "inkblot" pattern is easy and quick.

My customers are bringing quilts that they had stashed in their closets over the years not wanting to pay alot of $ to have them finished. If business continues like it has since I started this in Oct I will end up making what I made in the past years combined.

I look at it as a win, win situation. My customers get their quilts done without sending them to the poor house (since the ecconomy is doing that already) and I end up making $ which helps makes the "ends meet" financially in my family to help offset the rising costs of everything. My DH makes good $ at his job and my business has always been used for the our dispossable income but in tough ecconomic times raising 5 kids has become harder.

So to answer your question, yes the ecconomy is slowing down our business. Our business is linked to supply and demand and is also thought as a luxury not as a necessity. So in though times it is often the first thing most people cut back on when they are pinching pennies. You need to get creative if you want to surrive during these times. There are some that would never discount their services like I have decided to do for this one pattern but they are also taking a risk that they will get less income this year as well if they don't. I believe it comes down to pride/ego, some quilters would rather have little to no business and not lower their fees or run discounts/ promos where others like myself would rather figure out a way to keep the income comming in through promos/ discounts so my disposable income will be available for my family when needed to make ends meet.

Do some soul searching and decided for yourself what you want to do and what you can live with.

Good luck! and remember it is YOUR business run it the way YOU want, & set the prices that YOU think is fair, if it doesn't work you can always change it. ;)

Joann, you are a smart cookie. I think any smart business man or woman should always think of different ways to get business, be flexible and CHANGE WITH THE TIMES CUZ TIMES THEY ARE A-CHANGIN'!

If doing your ink blot special brings in the customers and their quilts, then you are doing something right. So, good for you, girl! YOU GO! You found a niche that someone else did not tap into. Always have a strategy and something up your sleeve.

Having pride in what you do is one thing, but putting that pride aside to get the end result you need is another thing, especially when you need to make $$.

You are a smart cookie. (and from the recipes you share, you bake a yummy cookie, too)

I'm still working full time and quilting on the side. I haven't offered any discounts but have steady business. I don't want to get a big back log. It kind of scares me the thought of having a bunch of my customers precious quilt tops at my house. If I had a fire I would have to save them and I would probably perish! I have had at the most 4 quilts to do at a time, but it has been really steady and nice. I just finished a customer quilt last night and thought okay now I'll do my daughter's quilt and then at work today one of my quilting friends brought me a big batik quilt to do. (I'm hoping I don't run into problems with batik fabric, I printed off the batik post just in case!). I will still do my daughter's quilt and then the customer quilt. I absolutely love it when I get a customer quilt top. It is so fun to see what other people do with fabric and I'm kind of too matchy matchy and tend to go with romantic florals.

Back to the economy, I'm not feeling any crunch yet. But I do myself resolve to use up more of my stash instead of continuouly buying new fabric and I think others are trying to do that also. I could go a really long time withing buying fabric if I had to! But, we do want to keep our local LQS in business, so it is a fine line. I was hoping to leave my day job soon but am a little apprehensive when I have a good paying job with benefits. But I so want to move to the lake and don't relish the thought of commuting 50 miles to and from my job instead of 20, like it is to the farm.

The discounts mentioned above are really great ideas and I may have to use them when I go full time quilting...I do have a machine to pay for. But you know, this is really an inexpensive business to get into when you think about it. And staying home would be heavenly!

Take care and good luck, LinneaMarie! This forum will help you through getting started any questions you might have thereafter. We have a really neat bunch of guys and gals!

I think I am getting less quilts in in the last couple of weeks. Until then it had been getting busier for me. I knew it would slow down at some point and I plan to work on the other aspects of my business until it comes back a bit. I do need to make a living so I have several different things I can do in quilting to bring in the money. Oddly my booking for teaching and speaking are increasing. Maybe people are going to quilting groups more as a cheap night out?

I tried the business card referral scheme, but not one card came back to me. I did get people turn up saying their friend has sent them, but they wouldn't say who. From the locations I suspect it is two customers who feel I don't charge them enough and this is their way of helping out. It's sweet but I did find it a little frustrating too.,

I do give a 50% discount for shop samples, because every one advertises me and brings in more business. I often use them as a test bed for new patterns too.

The shop staff who I know recommend me get discounts on their quilts too.

Loyal customers may get an extra bit of quilting as a gift. I price it on the invoice and then show it as a gift and deduct it so they do know what it would cost to buy the same feature. They often do especially when it is the first time I've done the design.

The last sort of discount I give is the make my life easy. It usually reflects how much time they have saved me. My standard price allows for the worst my customers throw at me. Do it right and get a reward. It works. Not only do the customers who got the discount remember what I liked, they tell others too.

Ferret

Joann, I love your ideas - very creative. I've been in business for almost 3 years. I did a 1/2 dozen special. After 6 quilts, the 7th was 1/2 price except for custom work. I recently taught a quilt class (small throw size) and told all the participants that I would quilt it with a panto and include batting for $50 - it worked, I got them all!

So you are so right, we must use our business brains to keep them coming.

Sharon

Originally posted by Robin

I'm still working full time and quilting on the side. I haven't offered any discounts but have steady business. I don't want to get a big back log. It kind of scares me the thought of having a bunch of my customers precious quilt tops at my house.

Robin,

I'm in the same boat as you so what I tell my customers is that I will put them on my wait list and when I get within 2 weeks of their quilt I'll give them a call. Customers are now calling to ask to get put on the list so that they can be done when it is their turn. This has really saved me the headache and worry of having their quilts in my home more than 2 weeks at a time. It also helps because when I put them on the list I put a note of size and what they want quilted (e2e, custom, heirloom, etc). My customers really like it.

Originally posted by sewhappy

Do you think it is the economy or just a slump between Christmas and any up coming quilt shows? I know the local ladies here always seem to be backlogged before the holidays and a few weeks before the big shows. Just a thought...

Patty

That could be a big part of it, but as well all know having someone else doing our quilts is a luxury expense so I would expect some to be that as well...I

After the towers were hit I really felt a backdraft so to speak....I was down over 50 quilts that year compared to the year previous. Now was that the reason for people to back off from spending this luxury money or was it to say everyone did quilts the year before so they didn't want to repeat presents the next year....I don't know.

We will all feel some pinch, but I don't think its time to panic or sell machines yet....like the Stockmarket, it does come back if you are patient and can weather the storm.

I do think it has to do with the ecconomy, all you have to do is ask the customers. Which I have, they have told me that sending a quilt out to have quilted is nice (a luxery) but not something that they need to do in order to survive. Most of our demographic (clientel) are people in the age group between 50 and up these are the same people who are close to retirement or in retirement. These are the same people that were depending on their 401 K's or IRA's to help supplement their isocial securities (which lost ALOT of value over the past few months). Also their are ALOT of people pre retirement age that were living paycheck to paycheck who also have alot of credit card debt that now with the ecconomy bad and people losing jobs across the country are trying to pay off some of their debt or even start to save some money for the "just incase" scenario...people back during the great depression days did more saving & less spending (simiular to what is going on now) it is what people do when times are tough. This is why the stock market is doing so bad and hasn't recover after the first stimulous pkg was past...people don't have confidence that the will improve anythime soon & until the confidence is restored you will see people pinching pennies and second guessing whether or not to buy something just because.

That doesn't mean however that our business will dry up completely...it will/has however slow down than what it has in the previous years before the panic. If you watch any of the financial news channels they say that spending is down, but saving of the disposable income is up. The money is out there but people are afraid to spend it because they think that they might need it if they loose their job (pre-retirement), or to help stretch their savings (post retirement) to live on if the market never recovers or if they need medical help/ assistance later...you need to remember that most retired people all they have is social security and their savings (stock or iras etc..) and most of that has been hit.

Again the money is out there, we as long armers just need to be CREATIVE as how to get some of that money to come our way. That is why the specials, promos, incentives work.

People haven't stopped wanting to have their quilts done by longarmers they just want to see that they can stretch their money a little more.

I said earlier that if you can be creative you can get the business that you need. It has worked for me, and it can work for anyone out there seeing a slump in business.

You girls, as usual, have sooo many darn good ideas!! Thanks for the input and I'm going to try some of the things you all mentioned when I'm ready.

I have already done fairly well on a Juki on a Grace frame. I finished a couple of quilts for my self and made placemats for Christmas gifts. They all came out really nice. I just meandered them. It was just really frustrating only having a 9" throat. Plus, I think the frame and mechanics of the Millie will be a dream to work with after working on the Grace frame.

I am going to do the business card thing. They are really nice and really cheap at www.vistaprint.com Has any one else used this website for cards??

I also have a couple of great craft stores I can put my cards at. One is in Millersburg, Ohio. It is in Amish country in Holmes County. Another in Berlin, Ohio. Girls, if you ever get a chane; go there. My DH calls it "craft crap heaven". But its not all crap. I love it. There must be 5 or 6 antique stores too. Then store after store of all kinds of hand made stuff.

I am rambling AGAIN!:P

Thanks AGAIN for all your help!! You don't know how much I appreciate it!:D:D

Linnea

Hi Marilyn,

Sorry, I was litterly "throwing" dinner together!! And your DH MUST be related to my DH!!lol

Don't miss Walnut Creek Cheese, in Walnut Creek on State Rt 39. It's a HUGE place and has tons more than just chese. And their prices on cheese and lunch meat is about $2-3 per pound less than our local grocery stores. They also have a nice place to eat lunch, and very good, generous lunches. There is a whole section of tess, jellies, etc. You can buy spices in bulk, or little cello packages. Very reasonable. In the last place there is all kinds of kitchen gadgets. It's like 3 or 4 stores all connected. Terrific ice cream too!

In Berlin, I like Country Craft Cupboard, again on Rt 39. Across the street is Helping Hands Quilt Shop. Some of their stuff is not my 'cup of tea", but tons of fabrics. An I think you can watch the Amish ladies all sit around a big frame and hand quilt. Tons more stores all up and down Rt 39 in Berlin. I also like Sol's. It's a craft consignment place and I think there are 2 or 3 parts to it. Huge. Everything from; (as my Dad used to say) 'shit to shinola'! Everything is supposed to be "hand' crafted, but I see China made babydolls with a tiny handmade blanket. Still worth a look. Also, if you have time, check out Berlin Country Craft Barn; and a Victorian ladies place (can't remember the name) also in Berlin on Rt 39. Berlin Chili Traders is good for salsa and South of the border items. There is also a nice scrapbooking place.

On to Charm. Off Rt 39 go toward Walnut Creek (away from Sugarcreek) turn left on Twp 70. Charm is a very Amish community. Lots of buggies, careful going up and down hills. You come upon them pretty fast. In Charm there is a GREAT fabric store called Millers Dry Goods. An Amish lady startes it in her home in 1965. She's passed on, but, her daughter runs it now. Check the basement for fabric first. Sometimes $1.00/yard. Then goes up from there. Even upstairs, I think all I paid for good batik is $8 or $9/yard. Nex door is all the patterns and books. And wait til you see the quilts piled on the beds and hanging! Tons, all Amish made. Unfortunately, most have poly for batts, which I don't like. But the crafting is superb.

Then take Twp Rt 557 from Charm to Rt 39 again. If you look to the right you will see a good resaurant, and they have a terrific breakfast buffet. On the way from Charm, DO NOT stop at the Swiss Village place by Guggisberg Cheese. Terrible, and they are not generous with their portions like most of the places down there.

Ok, when you get to St Rt 39, turn left and it will take you into Millersburg.

We live in Chagrin Falls, but also have a house and property down there. We love it.

In Millersburg, there is a huge antique place, couple of them really. My favorite store is 55 West. It is on Rt 39 almost next to the hotel. We used to eat at the hotel a lot, but then we found Bags, just up and across the street. The hotel food is good, but you can't count on the service. At Bags, we usually sit at the bar, and my DH loves their ribs, and I like the ribeye steak. Good boneless wings too! Yum. Can you tell we like to eat?

There is a quilt shop in Millersburg, but I was not impressed. It's also on 39, just past the antique mall.(still in town)

If you send me your address, I can send you a little booklet about the area there.

And I'm sorry girls, this should have been a U2U. Didn't realize it was so LONG!! YIKES

Linnea:cool:

Archived