Does anyone use Mountain Mist Fattbat?

My fail-safe puffy poly for texture is Hobbs Polydown that I have been getting via my LQS but the shop lady often forgets to put my order in until well after I have run out.

I am trying to get batting wholesale but it is proving quite difficult in the UK. I really want to use Quilters Dream Puff because a few of you have recommended it but the sole UK supplier won't give me a wholsale account, just a retail roll price.

I may be able to get my other favourite, alpaca/cotton and possibly Mountain Mist Fattbat... any other thoughts, please?

My Hobbs costs me about £100+ for a 30 yd roll and warm & natural is variable @ £9 to £12 per metre. Apparently it is all going up quite considerably and of course it all comes to us from the USA. I was intrigued by the new bamboo and maize combos but they are not lofty enough for me or even available!

Thanks,

LINZI x

The Mountain mist fattbat is a really fat polyester batting - much denser/thicker than Quilters Dream Puff! We have used it in trapunto quilts. From what I remember, it's a consistent batting - in other words, it doesn't have flat spots vs dense spots. I would recommend that you buy a sample of the Mtn Mist before you invest in an entire roll - if that's possible.

I tried the bamboo and it was fairly lofty, at least compared to the 100% cotton batts.

Good luck!

Its been a Long Long time since I last used a Fat Bat in my LA....its really not a machine quilting batt its made for hand tying.

I did use it, it did work, but I remember having to raise my foot up and play alot with it to get the sweet spot and the place where machine and batt quite fighting, not sure I would want to bother with it again....

Here is what Mountain Mist states is on the package:

This extra lofty batting is very soft which enhances drapeability. Over twice as thick as our regular quilt batting, it is perfect for comforters, outerwear, trapunto and many other craft projects. Our exclusive Glazene® finish permits easy handling and inhibits fiber migration. We recommend quilting or tying up to 4" apart. Available in three popular sizes. Heavy loft 1/2" – 5/8" thick.

I personally thought it was thicker than a 1/2 inch, but like I said its been a long long time since I used it last.

It's a pig getting wadding here. It does look like the prices have just rocketed too.

I would be careful with the alpaca blend. I love it but I have had one very bad roll. Lots of bits that bled dark brown on any light fabric. I never did find a way to get the marks off. I used up the roll in very dark and art quilts.

If you do find a good supplier please let me know :)

Ferret

How is the price of wool batting in your part of the world, Linzi and Ferret? I like the loft of it but it is a pricier one here in Canada so don't have many people asking for it, too bad because it is simply luscious! I recently took out a hand-quilted wholecloth that I had done a couple of years ago with wool batting and it was so flat I couldn't see the quilting design :o, but after having it on the bed for the day it poofed out nicely! And, boy, is it cozy!

Here in the US, Dream Batting has wholesale accounts, which you have to apply for.. have you tried contacting them via email to start, and see if they will wholesale to Europe? It's just possible.. no idea what shipping would end up costing, but you could check with them about that, too..

I haven't a clue about the answers to above questions, but figured it just might be worth a try to start..

Good Luck,

RitaR

If you would like samples of batting types sold here, if I can find them I will gladly ship them to you so you can try them. Send me a U2U if interested.

I am day tripping to the Hampton Quilt Show on Feb 28. If anyone in the DC area wants to ride along, let me know. They should have many different batting types there.

Mary

Linzi, I think I might have some Mountain Mist Fat Batt that I can send you a sample. When I first started quilting years ago, I thought that is what you used, but I was wrong. It's pretty thick. Probably best for tying.I haven't attempted to use it on my machine. It might work, but I would think that you would have to have longer stitches. Send me a U2U with your address and I'll get some your way.

Dianne

I think we must have cheap sheep!

Wool batting is about the only thing that here that is reasonably priced so that's I use mostly!

DD is on a plane heading to London at the moment. I should have made her leave here clothes home & filled her suitcase with nice wool batting for you girls! Mind you she has left temperatures here of 40+ celsius & is headed to the cold so she might need her warm clothes!

Goodluck with your batting

Thanks, everyone... the problem is that I can't seem to get what I want from one supplier.

Asding didn't have all that I was after, Chris but I'll have another look.

Cotton Patch will sell me a roll of Dream Puff 93" x 25yd for £131.25 but that is not a wholesale price (they don't sell to businesses) and won't be here before mid March.

EQS is sending me samples of some new stuff but will only sell to me if I am a business. I will only use tha alpaca on dark quilts but I love its weight.

The Hobbs Polydown gives me the loft and is well priced but so far I have not found a wholesale supplier for it.

I'll keep looking and let you know... anything to avoid a chilly workshop. I can waste time so easily on the web. Yesterday I was looking at stoves for no particularly good reason!

LINZI x

I did look at US wholesale accounts. In particular I love a lot of the Dream range, but...

I have to order and pay before they will look up the shipping cost. Sorry but that sounds way too close to a blank cheque for me to be comfortable with it. Everyone else has either quoted very high costs or refused to ship.

I think the prices I am seeing reflect the cost of shipping wadding to the UK.

It's something you see across the board in quilting in the UK. I buy a lot of fabric retail from the US because it is cheaper than UK wholesale, even after you take account of duty, shipping and taxes.

UK shops should be selling quilting fabrics for about 13 pounds, if they were putting on the proper mark up. Of course that is just too expensive so the shops are taking a smaller margin to keep the prices down. It's the same with the waddings. We do what we can to keep the price down but over here quilting is a very expensive hobby.

Ferret

Asding can sell me a roll of Hobbs - good price but it is not wholesale

Cotton Patch is similar - reduced but not wholsale

If I want Alpaca they Asding orders it from EQS so I might as well get it straight from EQS myself

I have lots of samples coming from Cotton Patch and EQS...

EQS are launching new poly wadding in the Sew Simple range

It seems that EQS is the only distributor willing to do wholesale so I'll see what they have to offer but will also keep looking... can I see a gap in the market?

LINZI

I have the same problem, as I live where there are few retail outlets and shipping is costly. I would phone (rather than e-mail) Quilters' Dream, & see what they can do for you. They are very nice. As Ferret points out, they cannot (or will not) estimate the shipping costs before you purchase, but even at that, they sent it out however you want and only charge the actual cost to ship. They will tell you the weight, so you can look up shipping costs online and get an idea. Purchase price is about 1/2 of retail, so you are still saving, and the convenience is great.

Now, if I could just get my hands on some of those cheap Australian sheep . . .

Hobbs wool is £212 plus delivery for a 25yd roll 108" wide, Polydown 30yd 108" wide was £92 plus delivery, these are from my regular wholesale suppliers.

Ferret is right because of the fall of the pound versus the dollar all our suppliers are hiking up their prices at the moment.

Linzi - Ive sent you an e-mail, we should talk.

Ferret we can also talk on the phone.

• 3 months later...

Definitely not for machine quilting, neither domestic nor longarm. However, it is wonderful for tied fluffy puffies.

Case in point: In 1991, I used it in a tied comforter I made for a nephew. (Smoothing Iron pattern from Fons & Porter workshop. I made three others like it.) He literally loved it almost to death, and in October of 1997 he pleaded with me to resurrect his quilt. I took it completely apart, fully intending to replace the batting (MMFB) and was happily amazed to find that it didn't need replacing. It had lost its fluffiness and was somewhat compacted but still very soft and comforting. I replaced many parts of many blocks, put new backing and borders on, machine quilted it instead of tying (easier to quilt now that it was flatter) and put a binding on it. He was thrilled.

--Fast forward 2009. Quilt arrives in mail literally in tatters with request to resurrect it once again! He really loves this quilt! The batting is now pretty flat and compacted, looking almost like Hobbs Thermore, although still cuddly. If the quilt were worth the work, I would now replace the batting, but the quilt isn't worth new batting. But I'm thinking that for that batting to have lasted almost 20 years under HEAVY usage, that's impressive quality. The top is now the weakest part, the rest having been replaced last time, and so I bought some tulle and will put it on top and then meander quilt it in place. Nothing fancy, and no other repairs, but this will stabilize that to help prevent further deterioration. Whatever falls apart won't be able to fall off!

Talk about a well-loved quilt! I'm so flattered.

He has been told that this is the final resurrection and that I may have to make him a new quilt! That'll teach him.

post--13461901861954_thumb.jpg

On the subject of ordering directly from Quilters' Dream, I had another good experience with them recently. I had placed a wholesale order by phone, & as Ferret points out they don't like to quote the shipping rates until they are actually shipping. I thought I knew, but in fact the rates went up the first of this month. They actually called me to let me know of the increase, and suggested a less costly alternative (OK, also slower, & it has not arrived yet, but I will save $50 someday). I talked to a woman named Joan, so Linzi & Ferret, if you are still looking, try calling her; you may find that even with shipping it is less than retail. Their wool batt is an excellent product, I think I will get that next.

I agree with Bonnie, I would box this one up and replace it. As close a match as you can get. In fact I would be very tempted to get the fabric for 2 copies at this point. I can't see him going off it anytime soon.

It's great to see a working quilt being loved.

Now the exchange rate is improving I might try getting wadding from America again. At the moment though I have more than I know what to do with and lots of printing bill coming in, so it will have to wait. Thanks for the information.

Ferret

Archived