Batik Trip around World, FINISHED w/PICS

I like what I have seen other recommend, but with huge borders because I'm rather lazy I just cross hatch them and they seem to be great....Feathers intimidate me when I have to fill in that big of a border so I just take the lazy way out.:P

this is my opinion- i agree with everyone that the quilting wouldn't show if you did something customy. so why not use that to your advantage??? i think this is the PERFECT quilt to practice a feather meander on. this post actually has been stuck in my mind. i made a trip around the world on point very similar to this one, and i used it to practice my feather meander. since i knew it wouldn't show, and it was my quilt. and wobbles could/would/were chalked up to experience. i was SO intimidated to try a feather meander, that when i got done with my quilt i was like "that wasn't that big of a deal." now its one of my favorite E2E to do. i think i have a pic of it somewhere....i'll go look.....*jeopardy theme*

yup, found it:

post--13461901381813_thumb.jpg

Hi Kristina,

I just finished one for a customer, I used the Circle Lord swirl board, she was very pleased, looks fantastic. I was trying to post the picture but with no success even after I edited it to make it smaller.

I just emailed you with 2 attachments of the quilt picture.

Corey

I'm chiming in a little late here and you may already have quilted this, but here is an idea I recently tried on a border 12 inches wide. I quilted feathers (but you could put swags, overlapping circles, etc.) in the 1st third of the border (along the seam line. Then do beadboard or piano keys for the rest. I learned this wonderful technique on MQResource.com premium videos. This resource is around $25 per year and you get a video every 2 weeks. So far, there have been videos on wide borders, cross hatching, outlining applique, faux trapunto, background designs using a grid. I attached a picture of what I did on my customer's huge border. The quilt is turned back so the raw edge for the binding is to the left. The piano keys meet the edge of the feathers. The piano keys to the right of the picture are in another 7 inch border.

post--13461901384924_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Okay...this Trip to the Beach is finished.

Wow, I thought my friend was a better piecer than this?!? Her little black sashing strip was wonky. Borders wasved hello and grabbed me. This top was a 'beach' for me to quilt. Did I mention she likes extra high loft (read thick as a pillow!) poly batting?

I did crosshatching in the wide border using Linda R's rulers (Love them) and wave swirls in the green border, and overall loopy meander with fish in the body of the quilt. I used Maxi Lock Swirls in Blueberry.

Thanks for all the ideas a while back. I am glad this one is finished.

2539622790104483472S500x500Q85.jpg

2065170980104483472S500x500Q85.jpg

2832641370104483472S500x500Q85.jpg

Archived