Home from Holland!

I had a fantastic time in Holland and LOVED meeting up with Claudia, Loes and Theo. Unfortunately I did not manage to get back to the show to hang out with Claudia because I was with a friend and the travel plans got complicated BUT I am definitely going to go to Krefeld to see her for a proper lesson or two!;)

Her quilt for MQS is fabulous!!! She let me see it on her camera - you won't be able to close your mouths for catching flies when you see it:cool:

I have to figure out a way to make it to MQS next year (even though I sort of promised to go to Houston with my friend.)

The OEQC was great and I thoroughly recommend it to any European quilters - it was an easy trip and I hope to write about it for one of the British PW mags.

I thought you might like to see some of the other pics...

post--13461901750079_thumb.jpg

What's with all the bicycles? Was that a "used car lot"? or a parking structure? Wow! How do you find YOUR bicycle?

Great pictures from across the ocean. I can hardly wait to see Claudia's quilt. Fire and Ice---what a combination. Her tropical quilt last year was so amazing with the silk fabrics and glitzy crystals. She's got to top that one!

Thanks Linzi for keeping in touch.

Everyone in Holland seems to ride a bicycle, especially with a basket and bell! (the people do look fit and healthy). There are special bicycle lanes and traffic lights everywhere but I almost got run over by a bike a few times for not paying attention. My picture is just a photo of commuter bikes at the railway station. People customise them with paint, saddle covers etc and they look very easy to ride with big wheels. It is not as flat in Scotland though!

When my late DH was in the Army we lived in Oersbeek for three years. I loved the Netherlands-so clean and neat-people so friendly-the windmills and tulips-the fries in Gouda...I could go on and on.........Beautiful country and beautiful people.

Hi Linzi, I'm glad you liked it in the Netherlands. I hope to visit Scotland one day, and listen to the silence. I'm told that the country side is spectacular.

For the others and the bike-thing: At the end of the day, you just grab your bike, no big deal. You only have to remember the row you've put it in. Just like you have to remember were you've put your car in the parkinglot. We, Dutch, grow up biclycling, my two-year olds just got their first bike. I cannot remember not cycling or as we call it: Fietsen. Have a nice day,

Wendy

Originally posted by WendyJ

For the others and the bike-thing: At the end of the day, you just grab your bike, no big deal. You only have to remember the row you've put it in.

Wendy

Wendy..thank you...I wasn't sure if that was a day parking lot or a sale lot for used bikes. I don't think we here in the states will ever see a mass parking lot like that...people just don't ride their bikes like that...even in the big cities like LA or NYC...

I would never make it there...when DH and I go for a bike ride...I can't make it up a hill, no matter how small the grade :) He always rides ahead of me and rides in circles until I catch up. When going up a hill, he rides back to me and gets a hold of the back waistband of my pants and pulls me up the hill :P:D I tell him I am just helping him with his workout :D:D:P Now, if it is completely flat in the Netherlands...I'm there!!

Mary Beth..you would be okay here in NY...they have made a lot of the old train track beds into bike trails....some are as long as 10 miles or so...all flat paved and easy biking.... Now I just need to get a bike and a bike rack to haul it around. Nearest bed to me is about 45 minutes away.

Bonnie,

We have one called the Katy Trail here in Missouri. It starts in Clinton, MO and ends in St. Louis ?? I think...anyway...it is along the Missouri River and is suppose to be beautiful. There are Bed n Breakfasts and places to eat along the way. We keep saying we are going to try it...but I think I will need a tractor seat before we start....cause my seat is much bigger than that bike seat :D:P

Hi Linzi,

It was great meeting you and your friend!

And so funny to see all responses in this thread about your photo of the bikes parked at the station. It's such a normal view for us.

Mary Beth, just come over to our super-flat country. You will love it.

Loes (almost packing for not-so-mountainy-and-might-I-say-pretty-flat-country Kansas Overland Park)

......I haven´t even started packing:cool:

I think I should fill the washing machine first......but I have still wednesday and thursday.....on friday early in the morning the plane will go up to the sky:D

I´m still quilting my auction quilt.....hopefully it will be ready right in time......I sew the last seams yesterday....*lol*

See you soon.....

Claudia

Archived