NEVER again-Hawaiin Quilt (pics)

When that little voice says "you'll be sorry!" LISTEN!!!

This quilt had a few construction issues, was made of sheets, (I made her wash and dry the backing several times) and the background was not cut away from uder the applique.

That being said, I have a Liberty, and when you want to do continuous loops of quilting all the way around the large areas the way a traditional Hawaiin quilt should have, you have to advance and go back, advance and go back. Oh and did I mention I do not have motorized advance? OOOHHHH my aching arms!

The payoff, The lady LOVED it, she should have, I undercharged her by at least 30%. Oh well, live and learn! If you want advice on how to quilt one of these, call me and I will talk you out of it!!!

post--1346189780839_thumb.jpg

Hi Caron

I love your message and how your quilt had "issues". I've loaded two of my own quilts (bought on ebay) this week and took both of them off because they had lots of issues. I'm hoping a steam iron will sort them out enough to quilt.

You did a great job! Not surprised the customer loved it!

Sue in Australia

Hi Caron,

I love your quilting, and it is so nice that it would be a pity if you wouldn't ever quilt Hawaiian Appliqu? again.

Maybe you feel better if you charge more next time.

( I also have problems at times underestimating the "issues" of a customers quilt and end up undercharging. )

Well, we're learning all the time.

Thank you for sharing,

Marie-Christine

Oh, I'm sorry, I sounded kinda "bitchy" I didn't mean to. Her reaction really made it worthwhile, but I guess with my setup with the smaller quilting field and no motorized feed-it really was too much work.

Funny, I have had my machine 10 months, and I never really felt it's limitations till now. Maybe I should shop for the Millie with the Compuquilter???? Just don't tell my husband!

Caron you did a beautiful job. I can see where is was alot of work for you but the results are really nice. I'm sure the customer appreciated your hard work.

Can't you add the motorized feed to your machine? I have it on my "Vera Mae" (Milli) and well can't imagine not having it.

On the other hand I wish sometimes I had a smaller field to work with when doing smaller projects so I am hoping next year to get the Liberty. I want all the bells and whistles like my Vera but would like to have a smaller space when I want to do detail work. I haven't expanded to that area yet but I know that I will. It would be nice to work on my quilts in between breaks. I could put a smaller machine in my home for working later at night when its nice and quiet.

PS. I love the Compuquilter!! I haven't got to quilt this week due to my work schedule but I have this weekend for catching up and 8 days week after next. I'm going to put it to work really hard that week. Also I wish I had the electric lift. I may be adding this feature when I have the money to spend. Too busy buying quilting supplies lately. Gotta get caught up. Starting a business has me financially drained it seems. I'm not used to spending like I have lately. I'm usually a penny pincher. lolol

Caron - I just saw your Hawaiian quilt project and I am in awe! You've only had your Liberty for 10 months and you tackled THAT??? I've had my Liberty forever and am still trying to figure out the SR. :mad: Whatever you charged your client, it wasn't enough! I bow before you!

Gina

Guest Linda S

Caron - you did a beautiful job. Trust me, the "never again" will fade with time. Like my doc says, if we remembered painful things well, we would never learn to walk -- we'd stop the first time we fell down.

Linda

Caron;

I agree with the others you did an awesome job!

I too have a liberty and I also think that the larger sewing field of the Millie would be wonderful but when I bought my machine last summer I was thinking of getting my business off on a well balanced footing and not just in investing in the most expensive machine and left with no money for the extra stuff that I needed to make my business into what I wanted.

Joann

Oh, definately matching thread top and bottom. I learned my lesson a long time agao that you choose thread for how the top of the quilt looks and NOT for the backing. The only time I will use a diferent thead is when I am using variagated on top, or sometimes I will use a different color but the same VALUE of thread like med green and med blue.

And in answer to the Liberty vs Millie, my decision was partly financial, but mostly a weight and reach issue, as I have shoulder bursitis (which ironically has gotten better with my stronger muscles!)

So, thank you all, I guess I know it looks good, but it was SSSOOOOO much work! It was one of those quilt when all is said and done, I would be lucky to have made minimum wage, lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Caron,

Your Hawaiian quilt looks beautiful. Great job despite the

sheet (yikes) backing. Your post and photos answered

some questions that I have been asking the last few days.

I am on a job in Hawaii and have seen dozens of Hawaiian

quilts. They are everywhere. Gosh, the huge packing garage

at the Hilton is a Hawaiian quilt.

I visited a quilt shop and the clerk (a local)

gave me the 'rules' about a Hawaiian quilt. Yes, they take

this art very serious. I noticed that all the sampesl of

regular quilts were machine quilted but the Hawaiian quilts

were all hand done. Whe I mentioned that I wanted to try

on on my longarm, she was aghast.

post--13461897819597_thumb.jpg

Oops, hit enter too soon.:P The quilts I have seen have

been so beautiful, probably the purity and simplicity of

design, just the 2 solid colors, they are quite striking. Like

the one in your photos. But I am not into hand-quilting.

I'm so glad you posted your photos. I just love this site for

inspiration. Thank you for sharing.

Caron,

The minute you can invest in the motorized feed, a few quilts and it will be paid for, add it on!. I have a Mille but can't imagine having to turn those rollers by hand. What you save in time pays for the attachment, believe me. Plus I fell out of a tree 2 weeks ago and broke my shoulder. :( .. so when I do get back to quilting I'm going to be kissing that motor.

Hester

Caron,

My first Ultimate I didn't have the fabric advance and the

rolling is tedious, especially with the big quilts. My new

Ultimate I has the motorized feed so the take-up roller spins

back and forth. Really cuts down on the manual labor. You

will love it.

Hester,

You fell out of a tree. I'm sure there's a story there.;)

Archived