DTV - not a happy camper! - with a bit of an apology...

Ok, so today was the big switch over to DTV. I have a beautiful 36" TV that no longer gets any "network" programs.... I'm soooo mad!

I get two channels that are kind of worth watching ION and PBS. And a Spanish channel, cartoons, and worship... now don't get me wrong, those are ok. However I miss the evening news, and some shows I like. The awful thing is that the "clear" picture we are supposed to get is now quite "bitmapped" and the audio keeps cutting out. DTV - hmmmm, not my favorite!

I know I could get cable, but I get so irritated that the cable company here is the ONLY one you can use... there is no choice. And I like having a CHOICE!

Anyway, maybe I'll investigate a better antenna. I'm just so bummed! I wish I could find some humor here, but I guess I'll get more reading done.

Can you get a satellite dish? They're better than cable, but they're all expensive.

When my mother-in-law moved in, she couldn't understand why we had such nice tv's (2 flat screens), but we didn't get any channels. We tried to explain that not only did we not watch TV 24/7, but we usually cancelled our dish in the summer. She just looked at us. :o Of course, now we get way more channels and all she watches, mainly, is TV land. Oh well....:)

OK, I'm movin' to NY! LOL

I actually have the converter box, and THEY kept promising we'd be getting more channels, I just didn't realize that there'd be no network! I've re-scanned several times just to be sure.

When I calm down a bit next week, I'll check into a basic pkg.... I'm just not spending a bundle to watch tv. Last time, I had cable and internet, they kept upping the rates 'til I couldn't pay it... makes ya wonder how it happened that we NOW have to PAY for TV. Is AIR still free?

WE have dish and I probably listen to the music stations far more than TV. Yes, it is expensive but we do not get cable in the "country". My DH loves the old westerns. In his former life he was a ranch hand. No wait--he owned a big ranch and had ranch hands. I keep forgetting.

Bobbi yes the cable companies charge way too much! We have phone, internet & TV. Hubby wouldn't live without TV. I watch about 3 shows a week during prime time but not much during the summer. TV is hubby's hobby! LOL I have to chuckle when I think about just telling him we'll cancel it. I wouldn't be without my Intenet and the phone is actually cheaper through cable than the phone company was.

Can you get DISH Bobbi? They have a family plan now that is not overly expensive. We live in a rural area. For years all we had was an antenna, and quite frankly it never worked well. Hit and miss depending on how we aligned the rotar that turned the antenna.

On day I just upped and called Direct TV. The guy that came out here to assess the property was not very good, and he told us we had too many trees blocking the signal to their Direct TV satellite and they couldn't install it. I was so bummed out for about another year---Then one day we got an ad for DISH with a free dual reciever and DVR---and I said to hubby, let's see what DISH says about signal.

They came out and had no problem setting up our DISH! That was a few years ago. We have the less expensive program with local channels. We also pay a small fee for any repairs or problems we may have. They come out and fix anything that may go wrong with their equipment free with this added fee of $5.00 extra per month. We have had them come a few times to adjust the dish when the wind blew it off calipher.

I love, love the DVR part of have DISH satellite. :) I record programs and watch them when I want. I never actually watch the program "in real time"===with the DVR you can skip through the commercials. The best part of the whole system for me is the DVR option. :)

Please consider checking it out for your area. I feel sorry for older folks that have lost their TV signals now, and don't know what options there are. I hope they have family, neighbors or friends that can help them out. TV is a big part of their daily activities that keep them in touch with the outside world. I know my father in law loved to watch his news programs every noon and evening.

Take care---and good luck with whatever you decide. I just wanted to mention our experiences with satellite TV.:)

I toldly agree check into the disk companies. They will make you sign a 2 year contract but its worth it. We live for the tv here, but we watch on our time TiVo/DVR are great inventions. They have packages for every budget.

Angie, we have dish also with the dual receiver. Now all you need to finish your set-up is get the wireless headphones for the tv. My son put his on my tv in the sewing area, and as long as I am in the correct range (instead of sideways) I can sew and still hear the tv without having to have the sound turned up. I can tell what is happening and glance at the show when I want instead of always. I keep the remote close to me and cut past the commercials too, or backtrack to catch what I missed. They work great. The son said they cost about $30. Well worth it to me, in fact I turn the tv sound down so the family doesn't even know what I'm watching.

Guest Linda S

I totally pulled the plug on my TV two years ago and can't say I miss it at all. I listen to the news on the radio or get it on the internet and I now also have an awesome DVD library. For what it costs to watch TV these days, I just couldn't justify the expense. Plus, I have a whole lot more time to do sewing and quilting! That said, I'm sorry you can't get your favorite programs.

Linda

We used to have the dish ( I live in the same area as Bobbi) eveytime there are storms in Texas we lose signal.

The cities in our area have signed contracts with the cable co. allowing only one in an area, no choices.

We have an antena but since we don't have the rotary box hooked up we only get chanels from one direction. Since it is summer I don't mind the loss so much. Think maybe that was the plan?

Hope you are able to pull some more in next week Bobbi.

Hi Madelyn,

I'm a "high maintenance techie"----my husbands. title for me! :) (but I haven't invested in the wireless headphones yet! :)

I watch TV when I'm running the embroidery machine, and the headphones would help block out the machine noise I'm sure. I collect up movies onto my DVR to watch whenever I want.

Right now I'm plugged into my iPod and listening to books I can download free from the local library. :) and stitching away.

Thanks for mentioning the headphones! Sounds like a perfect solution to noise cancelling ! :)

Thanks you guys for all the great suggestions...

I agree, it IS summer and I can sew up a storm... (I don't really have an outside, and with my allergies, outside isn't really my friend... It sure used to be!)

Anyway, I'll look into something in the weeks to come, I'm doing a lot of traveling this summer and the shows that are on now are really not worth watching... I just rented some really good movies though!!! Guess I'll catch up on the movies!

You gals have touched a nerve here. I am so frustrated with ALL TV! We have DishNet, basic service - no movie or premium channels. We have 150 channels, 75 of those are paid advertising; 25 are in a foreign language; and the final 50 are either cartoons or CSI, NCIS or COPS! Oh yeah, there are the 4 ESPN channels....that explains everything!!!! For the price we pay we should at least be able to block all the crap!!!

I too have started listening to Audio Books while I quilt and I'm sure it has increased my productivity. Sandra Dallas' latest 'Prayers for Sale' is awesome.

Ferret! I'm sorry! I love my tv and really will miss the channels I don't get...

OK, so here's my apology...

yesterday, my DBF called ME for technicle advice on the antenna thing.... I told her how upset I was, and we went on and on about the mess this was...

Later, she called me back and asked me about the cables running to and from the "box' to the tv, etc. We figured out that I had it HOOKED UP INCORRECTLY!!!

So, at least now I get NBC, CBS, FOX, and CW. And cartoons, worship, and ION. So, it's not gonna be as bad as I thought. I hardly ever got to watch ABC because I didn't have very good reception anyway... But the channels are still "bitmappy"..

Thanks and good luck to everybody!

OH, yes, I did a little marathon movie watching, (I have to keep my feet up a lot in the summer) and I loved Benjamin Button!

Bobbi...

This is in regards to your allergies...I'm super bad with ragweed in the summertime. A couple of years ago I started taking grape seed extract from my health store. You have to take it all the time so it gets in your system. What a relief! I can totally enjoy my backyard again. You can't just start it and get immediate results. It is an expense but no more of the allergy meds that make you all fuzzy headed. I love it! It's sure made my summers more enjoyable.

Glad to hear that you are going to be able to get at least Network channels....news and stuff...summer isn't much on, but Iknow what you mean about not having it at all....it runs in the background for me when no one is home...if I watch I watch if not its just noise.

We gave up TV about 10 years ago. We don't miss it at all. We get all the news and weather on the internet. We have more time to do our hobbies and spend time together. We read a lot too. It was the best thing we've ever done, believe me. People seem to be shocked when we tell them we don't have TV; but then I think they kind of respect us differently too.

Sharon

Hi Bobbi,

Very glad you found some of your problem with the connections.:) Hooking up TV's and all the other equipment like disc players, stereo has become so complicated from when all you had few screws on the back of the TV, and a split copper wire. :)

Maybe now you can get some type of converter box that will help with the bitmap appearance.

I wouldn't be without my TV, ---- and don't feel like justifying the reasons I like it:) to those who don't. :(

Archived