Hot off the Presses

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dory - that is so cool. I love the way you ghosted that flower into some blocks and the cross-hatching looks fabulous. Clever sashing, too, really makes the blocks pop. She is going to love what you did with this one.

From a walfflower to a Dancing Queen. (sorry, listening to Abba - but it seems appropriate.)

Wow, thanks everyone for all the great comments. I don't often post pictures of my quilts because so many of you are sooooo much better. But I felt really good about this quilt--even my DH kept saying how much my quilting made this quilt "pop" -- yes, he used that word (he can be such a "girl" sometimes:P).

I haven't gotten the hang of using the rulers on continuous lines yet; this was the first time for me. I didn't bury the threads though, as I usually do, just sort of went back and forth at the start and end of each line. I didnt' cut my threads though until the end--not sure if that was a mistake. I watched an entire movie just trimming theads on the back!!:o

Darn, Kristina...I should have read your post sooner! I'm really discounting the quilting I did on this because I know her price range and I chose to do this much quilting. Had I read your message first, I could have sold you the quilt for what the quilting was worth and apologized to my client for the recent break-in where all they took was her quilt...go figure:P:P

I'm always a day late and a dollar short:(

Dory, rather than focus on what you "lost" (meaning $$ on this quilt) focus on your decision to kick it up a notch (meaning for your own benefit to learn) and remember all the confidence this quilt gave you. You can't put a dollar to confidence. That is priceless. I am so proud of you!!! :)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

Dory, rather than focus on what you "lost" (meaning $$ on this quilt) focus on your decision to kick it up a notch (meaning for your own benefit to learn) and remember all the confidence this quilt gave you. You can't put a dollar to confidence. That is priceless. I am so proud of you!!! :)

What Shana said in SPADES.....

When it comes to this quilt, I truly am not focused on the money I "lost." It was such a learning experience and I'm really pleased with how it turned out. I've never done a quilt that has turned out this well and that I've been so proud of.

My customer is prolific and a terrific piecer, so working on her stuff is really fun. She always shows her quilts at guild and always says that I quilted them. In fact, she didn't give me credit on one that I had done for her that was just a panto and she brought it back the next month to show again because she'd forgotten to say that I'd quilted it. She's a terrific person.

My message to Kristina was just my usual smart-alecky self:P:P

Originally posted by DoryJM

My message to Kristina was just my usual smart-alecky self:P:P

We knew that....

What I at least was trying to say was you are WAY better than you think you are, we didn't want you to focus on anything except your bright bright future in this wonderful world of quilting. your confidence has grown SO much in the last few weeks and months that Its getting into the grand and great aspects of this hobby...your work is WONDERFUL...and we all know we aren't going to get paid enough, so we don't worry about it anymore.

Yeah! :P I knew you were being smart-aleky! :P :P I love it! Don't ever quit being smart-aleky, either. It's more fun that way... :);)

I am so glad you have a customer that toots your horn for you. That's awesome. Yeah!!!

You know what? I just read Bonnie's last few sentences above and she nailed it. For me, the $$ is nice, but I get a complete thrill from making someone happy with the quilting I did on their quilt. I just can't get paid a dollar amount for that thrill (it's priceless, too) and it feels SOO good that I helped to make someone happy!!! :) This is what I love most about quilting for other people. I get to be part of their happiness.

Bonnie & Shana...you are my two-women fan club!! I love you guys!!

And you're right Shana....even when I have a quilt that I'm hating because its not pieced correctly, or my quilting is taking forever, or, or...all that is forgotten when I give it back. I know I won't get rich doing this, but I don't need to since I'm going to win the lotto (as soon as I start playing;))

I've had Lillian for a bit over a year now and we've been through alot--including gender reassignment (Lillian used to be Mel):P:D:P I've learned tons from this list and from practicing, alot! This has to be the most fun I've had, excluding riding ponies, of course!;)

Okay, Kristina...for a small fee, you can be in my fan club too!:P:P:P

Seriously, though, I really do appreciate all the wonderful comments from you guys. You're all the best.

I'm meeting my client at her house on Wednesday to deliver the quilt. I've talked with her about it, so I hope I didn't build it up too much:o Plus, she's actually making me lunch--told you she was great!

Archived