NQR - Lizards and Kids

My kids have managed to catch 2 horny toads and a large blue belly lizard since school got out.

The kids thought it was quite fun to have the lizards riding in a toy racecar.:P Can you see all of the lizards?

And guess what...all of them live together in a 10 gallon aquarium!

Can't wait to see what else we will have before summer is over. :D

2215542570104483472S600x600Q85.jpg

Oh, I miss the skinks and Horny Toads we had at the house.... GREAT bug catchers for sure. I had one black/striped Skink that would JUSSSSSST about come up and take something from your hand, but it just couldn't quite get there..... But it sure would come an lap up the fresh bits of hamburger and chopped carrots I left for it.

Looks like your kids would have gotten along well with my girls when they were young. We would visit my in-law's farm in Texas each summer when my girls were young and one year they made harnesses out of string to have the frogs pull little carts they made. Another year they decided they were going to smuggle one home for a "pet". They put it in a backpack with their dirty clothes, you know with the waterproof fabric that doesn't breathe. And of course during the 8 hour drive home they forgot about it. The next morning when I dumped out the dirty clothes in the laundry room, I almost ended up standing on the dryer when a very dead, very large frog came out with the dirty clothes.

Horny Toads! Oh such memories! I remember as a kid in Texas we would spend hours out on the empty lot following the horny toads by digging up their tunnels. Lucky for us we never did dig up anything else! By the way, at birth I whispered in each of my kids that no creepy crawlies were allowed in the house or their pockets!!! lol

So THATs the secret huh Barb? I missed that little tid bit, but actually it would have done a lot of good as it's my DH that is the instigator.

Kristina, I feel for you. First DH sees a bull snake in the front yard by the kids sand box...gets the gun, shoots it. Kids have a ball "posing" w/it days later after they're sure it's REALLY dead. Oh, and they took all their own pictures too. Pretty good ones.

Then he and my 7yo bring in a baby cottontail, put it in the dry fist tank (fish all finally died, again) w/a cute little cave and stuff to eat...we got to bed rabbit's fine...I wake up at 5:45 am thinking I'm hearing the cats playing in my tall garden bathtub w/the 5yo's bath toys. Get up to take it away from them and find the baby bunny hopping there trying to get out while the cats sit on the edge smugly. If only I had a nanny cam to see how they got the rabbit from one end of the house to the other. What possessed them to put him in the tub? Thank God they didn't "release" him anywhere else in the house. He wasn't harmed or even wet. The "boys" (DH and son) turned him loose that day.

Then that afternoon in walks DH w/a small bird in his hand. It flew into the wall of his shop and had been pecking him as he picked it up but was now fine. DS got to hold it on his hand as they put it in one of the yard trees...all was well until it pooped on his hand.:D:D:D

Then yesterday DH walks out the front door and starts yelling at DD to get back in here...there's a big 6 ft red snake (red racer I think by the way it boogied) in the yard.

The 7yo has his dad figured out. He just kept saying "it doesn't matter if it's poisonous or not, if it's a snake dad's gonna kill it","no mom your wasting your time, dad's got to kill it". :P He's right too.

The only thing that makes us a bit nervous is that it went directly into a hole at the base of a tree just outside yard like he knew it was there.

Here are the snake hunters at work....

post--13461901993313_thumb.jpg

Bull snakes are welcome at my house. They keep the rattlesnake population down!

I had a 4+ foot bull snake as a pet a couple of summers back. The kids loved it. I let him go when he started to hibernate.

Then we found an 18" bull snake under the woodbox in my house last summer. I keep looking for him, but haven't seen him yet this year.

You never know what 7 kids will find outside. I just fell in love with the lizards "driving" the racecar. And yes, Shana, I agree, you should go into advertising! :P

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

Bull snakes are welcome at my house. They keep the rattlesnake population down!

I had a 4+ foot bull snake as a pet a couple of summers back. The kids loved it. I let him go when he started to hibernate.

Then we found an 18" bull snake under the woodbox in my house last summer. I keep looking for him, but haven't seen him yet this year.

You never know what 7 kids will find outside. I just fell in love with the lizards "driving" the racecar. And yes, Shana, I agree, you should go into advertising! :P

See, this is what I was raised with too Kristina! That bull snakes kept rattlesnakes away. But I googled it a couple of years ago and couldn't find ANYTHING that said that was true. Actually I found something just the opposite and that was that the bulls and the rattlers were actually inter breeding, I guess because they end up sharing dens, and that researchers had now found venomous bull snakes.

A gal on another list said she found a bull snake in her garage trying to "get it on" w/a braided dog leash so it sounds like maybe they're not picky enough. LOL :P

Oh, and I was also raised that goats kept snakes away and maybe even killed them. We had a herd of over 100 summer before last, and they had just walked past the house. I went out and found a bull snake right where they had just walked healthy and happy as could be.

I did spare the life on one teenage bull. HE WAS IN MY HOUSE!!!!:o:o:o My son saw him, told my mom, who was babysitting, but they couldn't find him anywhere. About an hour later mom stepped on something on the kitchen floor and looked down to find it was the snake. DH wanted to kill it anyway (if it slithers it dies is his motto) but I said no way. If it didn't bite her after that, it needed to live. LOL

I love lizards though. They are such cool pets.

Tracye I'm with your DH...it slithers its dead. I HATE snakes. We had Bull snakes, Blue Racers, and Diamond Back on the ranch and pigs. NOW those will kill snakes and when we moved the pig pen down away from the house we started to get snakes in the yard again.

When you go out and you have to watch each step you take, I'm like your hubby...I pack a gun with me.

Even here in NY I have to watch my step...just last week we had a 5 foot something slither through the front yard...it left its skin behind when it molted. Bu looking at it, I would guess a big garden snake of some sort, but I'm so glad I wasn't in the yard when it slithered through. YUCKo...I will take a Horny toad and Skink any day...:P

I have seen several rattler snakes that require a shovel to cut their heads off. We don't keep a gun except for bb guns. But a shovel works great for the killing that sometimes has to take place. You have to bury the head though, as it keeps on biting after it is separated from the body.

I am with Shannon, if we can catch it...we will probably keep it.

Okay Tracye Q! You're gonna have to beat the yard for an hour the next time I come over!!! :( And...everytime one of the cats touchs me and I think it's a snake, you're going to have to peel me off the ceiling. :o Sounds like the kids are gonna get a pig! It would be perfect in your fenced yard. How about a Pot Belly Pig! They'd love it and so would the dog. :P:P I'm with the DH too...it slithers it dies!!

post--13461901994812_thumb.jpg

We had a pig in the house when I was in HS Barb. Not a pot belly but a farm pig. It was a runt and my uncle sent it home w/us. We built a plywood crate w/a grate on the bottom above the bottom plywood, for it in the spare room.

Her name was Baby Doe, and she would run into "her" room and scratch on the box to be put in when she had to go potty.

She was just like a dog, cuddling w/us while we watched t.v....then she'd jump up..squeal... and run into the kitchen to see what mom was making and if she could get a treat...then come back and dive into the blankets w/us.

When she got big enough we'd let her out in the yard and she'd boss the dogs (aussies) around..Too funny. Then she got too big and we took her back to be put w/her litter mates. She was big and bossy enough to hold her own by then.

If they would just stay small...even the pot bellies get too big for me....I need the one in the picture...he's sooo cute!

Fond memories of baby pigs in the house also...they are SO smart. The ones we had were from a huge litter and there weren't enough dinner plates for everyone... Mom bottle fed these two till they were weiners and it was so funny to watch them it was like they could tell time.

If you sat real still while it was nap time and feeding time soon. They would jump up from their nap and listen to hear where mom was, then they would rock the box till they could over turn it, tippy toe through the house looking for her.

When finding mom they would scold her for not being there on time...run back to the kitchen where the bottles were and start up a huge ruckus till she went and fed them.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Fond memories of baby pigs in the house also...they are SO smart. The ones we had were from a huge litter and there weren't enough dinner plates for everyone... Mom bottle fed these two till they were weiners and it was so funny to watch them it was like they could tell time.

If you sat real still while it was nap time and feeding time soon. They would jump up from their nap and listen to hear where mom was, then they would rock the box till they could over turn it, tippy toe through the house looking for her.

When finding mom they would scold her for not being there on time...run back to the kitchen where the bottles were and start up a huge ruckus till she went and fed them.

Oh I know they are SO smart!

I read a lot of books that are set in Florida by Carl Hieassan (spelled that wrong I know, sorry) and he always is touching on something that could happen down there and the non indigenous animals being released (pythons in this one) was mentioned. No opinion made, one of the characters just did it.

Around here people "drop off" dogs, like they are just going to know how to survive w/out their people. Makes me wanna slap the owners.

Archived