repacking gear box

silly me- i thought today was thursday! it's friday...anywhoo, i'm repacking the gear box this weekend- does anyone have the email-able doc from the factory on how to do this?

if you do, could you please email it to me. it's been a while since i've done it....

Hi Sara

With the latest machines you won't have to re-pack the gearbox, - the new machines have different gears and do not need grease!

In the older machines, when the gearbox is being filled at the factory, sometimes an air pocket can be trapped without being noticeable during testing. Over time the air pocket shifts so that the gears are not fully covered with grease and the sound of the machine changes. That is a good time to add some extra grease.

Hope that helps

sue in australia

Jolene,

No need to do as a precaution. If it doesn't sound loud then don't touch it. Mine started getting louder and louder. jhend came over and said it sounded like it needed to be done. I didn't want to mess with it so worked liked that for another 3 months or so. I was told you won't damage the machine it just makes is quieter. I finally had the time to do it and it really wasn't that big of a deal! My machine is much quieter now too.

Whew! Thanks Ladies! Ours is a '08. So I guess I am off the hook! LOL The less I have to do to maintain it the more time to practise quilting. LOL I appreciate your advice and help here. You all don't know how much I have learned!

One of the things I will be doing when I return back to normal....last quilt was a bear cat...couldn't hear the tv and kept wonder where the chain was to rattle when I started and stopped....DUH....sometimes I'm so blonde...so repacking I will be doing when I get back.

;)

Originally posted by hollyc

When did the " new machines" that don't need to be repacked start? I have a 2007

I believe it was late 08. My 08 Lenni born earlier in the year has grease, my FSR and Millie born around Aug - Sept. don't. If you have a black cap covering the rod down in the gearbox (behind the hook assy) then your machine has grease. If there is no cover then you have the new "greaseless" gears. At least this is the way it was explained to me!

Archived