Nasty, yucky, awful batting! (caution--Vent ahead!)

Frustration mounted as I unfolded this Fairfield 80/20 King size batting. There were so many obvious thin spots, places where either the machinery or worker at the factory had punched a tennis ball sized "bump" in the batting, and one hole big enough to stick my fist through. I called the piecer and she insisted I use it, saying she was house-bound, didn't want to spend more on a better batting, and didn't care if it was lumpy. Oh well.....

I managed with several folds in the batting and immediately posted a sign on the wall--

"I will not accept Fairfeld 80/20 batting.

I will not accept Quilter's Dream Request cotton batting."

Live and learn....

post--13461902050031_thumb.jpg

Oh that does look just a bit bad, You can almost see through it in some parts.

I have used Quilters dream request, and did find it just a bit too thin, and patchy in places, I also found it hard not to overstretch it.

Glad to hear that the Quilt came out fine though .:D

That 's why you should carry your own batting that you and your machine like. I carry warm and natural soft and bright, their blend and dream puff. No more battings in bags that are sticky and wrinkled. Why create a headache for yourself, make it easy.

If that quilt turns out all wonky and somehow she puts it in a local show, quess what, your name is on it and it will be your fault it looks like a rag.

I know.....been there, done that.

Learned real quick to be in control of batting in the beginning.

I used it a while back and posted pictures of my machine with this horible fur. My light, handles the bobbin area and more than likely my lungs were coated in the crap that came off this batting. I would let Fairfield back in my house. I know they posted a message on here before we we were dising their product. Whatever!! I won't use it.

I HATE Fairfield 80/20 for the same reason above. It comes out of the bag with holes in it. I WILL NOT use it! A while back we had a topic with this same problem. Someone from Fairfield addressed it and said they have a 60/40 blend that was more suited to our needs. I have not tried it, nor will I as it's not readily available.

I teach longarming locally, both beginning and intermediate classes. I tell all my students my experiences with this batt and to only use it at their own risk. And to remember my warning when they take it out of the package and see what is in the picture above.

Fairfield is C#%P!!

Horrid stuff, use it for stuffing a pillow maybe?!

But not a quilt!

There is NO excuse for selling this sort of thing, the bar needs to be raised for that company, big time.

The local shops should also see a picture of this as well, I know my local quilt shop would discontinue a product like take in a heart beat for inferior quality.

Send that photo to all the batting manufactures Linda, maybe someone will take notice of what quality is!

If I wanted a quilt that had holes in it, I'd use Swiss cheese for Pete’s Sakes!

Thanks for the validation, all. This stuff is gooey and easily stretched--it has no scrim. I like the description--"doughy". That's it exactly. And the King size just makes it that much more difficult to avoid bunching since you cannot manipulate it at all without either tearing and stretching. I had to lift and support the bulk of it to reposition it with every advance--PITA! Deep breath--OK--I'm over it now!:P

As an aside, the quilt top was 25 years old--really!! She pieced it at a beginner's class in the 80s. She is now a feisty 70 years old and wants "all that old stuff finished and given to family" before she "goes"!! She is arthritic and couldn't even piece the backer. She brought it on a bolt--7 yards, which wasn't enough to span, so she threw a bunch of pieces of "stuff" to extend it. The price on the bolt was $3.99 a yard and she must have bought it when someplace went out of business--the price was crossed out and $.88 was written over it!

I am a sucker for feisty quilters :cool: so I pieced it for her--no charge. The top has burgundy, turquoise, country pink, dark paisley, and cream fabrics (sounds 80s doesn't it?!) I am tickled with how well it turned out and hope she is too. I will try to get a pic before she picks it up.

I believe that the Fairfeld 80/20 batting is for HAND QUILTING ONLY. It's much too delicate for longarm machine use.

However,....that said,,,, the Fairfeld 60/40 batting is ABSOLUTELY WONDERFUL to quilt with the longarm. It's great! :)

Just wanted you all to know that the Fairfeld 60/40 batting is GOOD to use and does not rip or tear. :)

I tried that stuff, too, when a friend brought it for a queen size quilt. I finally called her, and said she either needed to replace the batting with something of quality, or find another quilter. She replaced the batting.

I like the QD cotton, but I use the Select weight, not the QD Request weight. I think the Request does say it is for hand quilting. That might be why it is not hardy enough for a LA.

I had some of this come in and didn't know any better. next time a customer brought it I said no way will quilt with that and explained why. she gladly let me buy what I wanted and paid me for it. happy customer and happy me. I have fallen in love with QD Poly. it quilts like butter

Archived