50th Anniversary Double Wedding Ring Quilt Block Ideas Needed

Good Monday morning to you creative minded forum goers! Now that I've buttered you up;), do any of you have any input as to more block ideas to put inside my parent's 50th wedding anniversary quilt besides their original picture, latest picture, and a block describing the Golden Anniversary with dates and names of my parents? I need ideas for 3 more blocks. Do people put the names of children and grandchildren on the blocks? How would that be worded? Other ideas? Thank you in advance for any useful advice!

Thanks for the ideas, Debbi. Yes, 50 years is BIG, especially since it was two years ago this month that we almost lost mom to a heart attack 2 days before her 66th birthday. When they wed, they didn't have much money so the ceremony was simple with a few relatives and a few friends in attendance. In fact, it was hard to come up with a picture since they didn't have a photographer to speak of. There's a bedroom in the background of the pictures because it was held at someone's small house and they were standing in front of the doorway so having to crop out some of the background before I can even print out what needs to go on the quilt with their picture. There were 4 color pictures and they had serious faces in them. So it's one of the 4 black and white ones going in the quilt with them smiling and looking happy. One thing that came to mind this morning is that they call each other Mickey and Minnie and they have a small collection of Mickey and Minnie because of that. Would it be too childish to put a picture of Mickey and Minnie on it, too? Probably noone else but the immediate family would understand what that means.

Several years ago I did a 50th anniversary quilt for a friend. She selected the couple's wedding picture for the center then had the wedding pictures of their three children and a picture of all the grandchildren together. It turned out great and the couple were speechless.

All the ideas you have been given sound great too. Be sure to show us a picture of the finished product.

Pamela

Caron took the words and thought right out of my mouth!

Seek out the embroidery idea, because that's where you could list:

Embroidered: Children (then list them), Grandchildren, (then list them...etc.)

Also, places of residence (with an embroidered block of house, or houses...etc.)

Wow, I just bought a great book for photo quilts. There's one in there for a 50th Anniversery. It has simple rings in the center, made to look like a DWR block (4 one piece rings interlaced with only 2 fabrics), and pics around the edges. Check it out. I thought is was a fantastic idea. It's all about photo memories in fabric. Awesome ideas.

The book: "Quilts and More", by Lynda Milligan & Nancy Smith

They own Possibilities in Denver, CO (Great American Quilt Factory, Inc.) They have a website: www.possibilitiesquilt.com.

They just did a presentation at our last guild meeting that was great. I bought this book, but they have many others. Other quilts in the same book would work as well. This one was pictured as a 50th Anniversery quilt.

I knew I came to the right place for inspiration and ideas! :cool: Those are all wonderful ideas and I'll post pictures when it gets done. 33 days and counting.

My neighbor has a machine embroidery business and she'd already embroidered the main block for me. It turned out great except the word "together" was "togther" and she's having to redo it. I felt so bad for her because she said it took her an hour and a half to do it with the set up and thread breakage and then she didn't save it because it was a one of a kind and didn't think she'd have to do it again. We discovered this about 6 last night.

A big thank you to those that responded! My sewing machine is calling me back to it... :)

Cindy,

There is software that would allow for you to change the background on that picture. You have to go into the bitmap of it and just color it. You might be able to get that done at an office supply store. I have software but haven't done it in a while. If you want to send me the picture I can try to take a stab at it. Everybody else has given you good ideas.

Cindy,

Several years ago, I did one for my parents 50th anniversary. I placed a photo of the church they were married in, their wedding cake, the invitation and reception cards, along with their wedding photo in the center blocks. On the peripherery I placed photos of the family as they grew, then married, grandkids and great-grandkids. I used applique lettering in the borders and corner blocks for their names and dates of 50 years ago, and the current year of the anniversary. Every one loved it. It hung in their living room until they died, then I 'inherited' it. It now hangs in my shop.

It wasn't fancy, but the contents overrode the simpleness of the design.

Hope this is helpful.

Grace

Cindy I did one for my Aunt and Uncle's 50th because my sister and I were their Flower Girls......Good Gosh I just gave away my age :D:D:D. Anyway, what about adding who stood up for them also. My uncle is a real cowboy as well as his daughter and sons so mine was a bit different.....if I find it I will post it.

By all means include the children and grandkids and great- grand kids!

We have 5 yrs til our 50th, I'll be the same age as your mom! I would love to have someone make a quilt for us and would definitely want our sons and families on it. If God blessed you with children, they are a big part of your lives together. Since I'm the only quilter in the family, I'll make it!

If you have photos of them with the kids as babies that might be another addition to the quilt.

Thank you to EVERYONE that responded with the great ideas! I love reading what others have done also. I could really go overboard with this, but I'm trying to keep it fairly simple. Now that I've made up my mind what to do (kids and spouses and grandkids listed and with pictures, Mickey and Minnie holding balloons that have "50" on them, wedding picture and new picture they just had taken yesterday, and the main embroidered Golden Anniversary block with names, dates, sayings, etc.), I better get to it because I'm definitely on the clock on this one!

Thanks to Heidi, I now have their wedding picture without the foreign objects in the background and it looks great!

I'll post pictures when it's done.

Archived