Liquid Embroidery blocks???

Has anyone ever quilt on these types of blocks?? I have a tub full to quilt and haven't gotten to them yet..but thought I'd better get some input first...Do they clog up the needle?

Never really thought alot about doing some like this. Any input is always welcome from you all. :)

Ok do you mean that instead of stitiching they used the liquid embroidery paint to create the blocks? I'm thinking the same stuff I used to use to make sweatshirts, you buy it in AC Moore or Michaels??

If that is the case I'm not sure I'd stitch over the paint, it's rubbery and really not too permenant, it dries up and cracks with use and over time. :o

Can you post a picture??

Personally I'd like to join Linzi in the blender! :P

I think she may be talking about that liquid rubbery paint that kids use at school to paint on t-shirts etc. I actually have a few quilt tops that kids made to quilt but with all that hard rubbery stuff on it I am afraid that it will not be good if the needle hits it. So I am probably not going to quilt them. Not the same as a t-shirt manufactured with that rubber stuff. this paint stuff can be really thick and globby. If this is what you are talking about qfairy, I would steer clear of it or be sure you can quilt around it and not have to go over any of it. good luck

don't you guys remember tri chem? Probably too young. I remember it because my Grandma used to do it all the time. They are in little tubes with a ball point on them and you "paint" with them only it is more like coloring. The paint is usually thin so I don't think it would be hard to quilt through. Now if it is fabric paint like tulip that would be a different story! That could be gummy...

I have a couple of Grandma's TriChem blocks, about 4" sq. They are on black velvet! I plan to machine embroider around the flowers and then cut away the black velvet b/g. I would not think of quilting over this or the 'puff paints'.

My mom also used to do the tri chem thing on table cloths, pillow tops and the last quilt that I did had some of it on one of the blocks (think wheat on the fall quilt) and all that I did was stitch right on the lines that she had drawn with the Tri Chem and it worked perfectly. I wouldn't hesitate to quilt on it unless it is the thick rubbery stuff from Tulip.;)

Ok, I'm showing my age.

I'm with Roxanne here. The stuff was not thick/rubbery like that Tulip stuff.

It's in a tube and you would squeeze the tube and it has a ball-point like pen on the

end of the tube, so you could draw out your embroidery designs.

Roxanne, does TriChem still make it? I'll have to google it to see.

IMHO I think you would be safe in quilting it, if it was NOT applied thick.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived