Thread Racks, my hubby wants to make me one

Hello Ladies,

My Studio will officially and permanently occupy the master bedroom and we have been making shelving floor to ceiling etc to use available space most efficiently. I need a thread rack for one of my walls so I have those I use frequently close at hand.

I would love to see your thread racks, those that hang on walls. I have a storage cabinet as well, and most of the new cones sit in a plastic tub which is a nuisance. Would love to have them on a wall.

I look forward to seeing your pictures.

Thanks

Mine are in an armoire with glass doors?! When I worked at the quilt shop, they were on shallow shelves (if the shelves are at eye level it was pretty easy to see the colors?!) They used a finished quilt to hang in front of the the shelves/cubbies. It looked cute - easy to make and access for all kinds of accessories?! Anxious to see others' thread holders/racks!

Congrats on the new room! (p.s. where will you sleep?)

I read somewhere the other day that you should be careful not to toss your thread spools into a drawer because they can dent and then not unwind evenly. Opps. Learn something new every day. I do toss then and the bobbins into a little cubbie when empty. Need to stop that too.

We sleep in the bigger of the 2 spare rooms. I have a cabinet for those spools I use regularly and I have a nut and bolt drawer unit with 50 little drawers for my bobbins. I actually don't "toss" my new spools of thread into my tubs, there is ordered caos, would love to place them on a rack.

No one with pictures today? I would sooooooo looooove to see some!

Hi Monika.

Linda Lang of Longarm Supplies in BC has a great blog, pictures of a cabinet from IKEA. It is great. It fits under the panto side of the frame, has shallow drawers for panto rolls, and thread that doesn't get lost with a deep storage drawer. and keeps them out of the dust and sunlight. www.longarmsupplies.com. , oldtownquiltery.blogspot.com, also has some great IKEA ideas in her quilt studio, a "towel rack" to hang rulers, rotary cutters, etc to keep them off the cutting table, and check her cutting table.

All great ideas - check them out. :)

Thanks Joan, I know all about these cabinets and Linda has a wonderful arrangement. I have been in her Studio and it is awesome. Unfortunately I do not live near an Ikea, nor do I have room under my frame. I want one that hangs on the wall beside my setup and would like to see some pictures of thread racks. Thanks for your thoughts.

Dear Monika, I don't have enough thread for a thread rack :P:P

BUT: I did see a really neat set up, she had taken a peg board, used the hooks that were angled up, and put her large cones on them. Because it was a peg board , she could get the spools pretty tightly spaced, she of course had them arranged by rainbow color arrangement. She had a curtain in front on an inexpensive expanding rod, but I like the above idea of hanging a quilt in front. Something needs to block out light. She hadn't any space devoted to bobbins, but they could go on pegs too....

I'll read comments here in case I ever get enough thread:):) Have fun, Pat

Hi Pat, we have thought about peg board but want something a bit more creative.

I am looking forward to your pictures Rita.

My hubby has some ideas already, has the wood and the the dowels, but we would like to see what some other creative hubbies have thought of, or ladies for that matter.

I've been thinking about a vendor that is saw at MQS in May and of course couldn't find the literature or card in my organized confusion, however I think this is the web site. I thought the thread racks were very nice and some different than any others that I had seen. More food for thought.

http://www.romwoodworking.com/shopping/thread_organizers/

I know your DH wants to make you something, but in a pinch, you could try canning shelves. I bought one at a hardware store. It is used to hold canned goods, so it is only 8" deep, and there are many shelves with it (at least 8). I put the shelves on upside down so there would be a lip around the bottom (if that makes sense. It holds many, many cones of thread! about 30 per shelf x 8. I use the very top to hold my cleaning stuff (WD 40, dust off, etc...)

Hi Monika,

I'm always impressed with how beautiful thread looks on a wall rack. However, a few years back I repainted my small sewing room. I had "wall" thread racks, and because I love thread almost as much as fabric!---it was a lot of thread to take down before painting. What I found was that most, if not all of my thread was coated with dust and lint, except the spools and cones I used a lot. Some of it disgustedly so. To the point I would never run it through any of my machines. Need I say---I never put my thread racks back up! Instead I store all my machine, embroidery threads in roll around carts. It is stored away from dust and lint this way.

However, if I had the room I would love a shallow shelf system, much like Caroline mentioned, perhaps with sliding glass doors, or something on the front to keep the dust and lint off the threads, yet show off the thread colors!

I hope you post pictures when you get your thread storage in place. Your new studio sounds wonderful! :)

I wonder if a curio cabinet for the wall would work. Something with a glass (or plexi-glass) cover to keep the dust off, but still see through it. My Mother had one on her wall for knick-nacks that was only about 4 inches deep.

I have my thread in the rolling rubbermaid bins, under my frame (so, not what you're looking for).

I also have thread holders from JoAnn's that hold spools of thread, and can stand up themselves on a table, or can be hung on a wall. If hubby is making yours, they can be made to fit cones.

Personally, I would like to see my thread on the wall, but have it covered and protected with plexi-glass. I don't have wall space just now and the under frame bins work for me. I also (probably) don't have the amount of thread to store that you have.

When you finally have your new thread holders, please post a picture of them. Good luck in your quest.

How about a DVD cabinet? They aren't very deep. Some smaller ones might hang on the wall, most have doors. Amazon had one that would probably need to stand on the floor, but it was only $79 and shipping is free.

I currently store my thread, the ones I use frequently, in a stand up cabinet and I have tablecloth plastic covering the opening. That way I can see my thread and it is protected. Others are sitting on a open shelf and yes, they do get dusty. I have to say though that when I vacuum, I put the little brush on the wand and clean the dust of them that way.

The thread rack I want would just hold the multitude of cones that have yet to be unwrapped. My hubby will make a frame covering the space available and put boards or slats across and set some pencil like dowel on angle. I think it will be very functional and practical and free up my space under my frame. I have several big plastic tubs under my frame that store the completed Quilts for my Etsy Store, and as well the yet to finish and finished customer Quilts. When we bought this home we had retirement in mind, not quilting business, so space is very limited, but everything is very efficiently used.

I wanted to see some of your Thread Racks, those that attach to walls to get an idea and I thank all who responded with pictures and those with ideas.

Hi Monika...I'm looking for a neat idea for a thread cabinet as well. Currently, I stole my husbands CD/DVD stand and have thread wraps from Superior Thread over all my threads. I like to look at it--love the colors--and the thread wraps let me have them on display.

Well Linda, that looks real nice and neat. I might just have to toss the standup freezer and replace it with a Cabinet. I love how neat everything looks, but I have to say, you are not only the "Queen of Stash", you might be the "Queen of Thread" as well. I have lots of cones, but not 200!

Archived