Help I need a chair

I am having trouble with my lower back, hips Pelvis area and I think I am going to have to start quilting sitting down at least part of the time as my leg is going numb with standing. Would like advise from those of you that have stool or chairs what kind they are, and why you like or dislike them. I really need one that adjusts in height and would like to know how you all feel about saddle chairs? I wonder how hard they are to sit on and get on and off?:o Thanks in advance.

This is what I have. It adjusts from 23 to 33 inches high, and has an adjustable foot rest. I wrestle with it because of the carpet, but I do like it when I want to sit down, or just lean on it.

I dream for a chair that is light, but easy to manipulate on carpet.

Try here:

http://www.officemasterchairs.com/index.php?osCsid=53d616f08ebde4b3ef77cfe6658ffb16

Patty, the description of your saddle chair says that it weighs 52 pounds. That's heavy, isn't it? How is it on a carpet?

post--13461902498153_thumb.jpg

I broke my heel bone 2 years ago and cannot stand for great lengths of time without pain. So, I bought a roll around chair that has a saddle seat, the hydraulic lift and back support. I like the round bar that wraps around the bottom so I can rest one foot there and skooch along with my other leg. Works very well.

PS: I like the saddle seat because it helps you to keep your back straight.

post--13461902498431_thumb.jpg

i too have a saddle stool, and i also have the lower back pain issues. i like the stool....but i too have carpet, but a plastic hall carpet protector thing with the pointy grippers on the back (you can get it by the foot/yard at homedepot,etc we use to play pranks and turn it upside down and wait for someone to walk on it barefooted)

is key for the stool to roll easier...i roll mine up and store it when i'm not using it.

i like the saddle stool....i also have started wearing tennis shoes with custom insoles (versus barefooted) while quilting and that has made a big difference. i can quilt longer.

JMHO

I, too, have found that wearing the right shoes when I'm quilting makes:P a huge difference (for my body - not my quilting:P). I also swear by my saddle stool especially if I'm frogging. (I sit on my stool and swear!) Oh, it's Friday and my students are driving me crazy. Can you till?

I have a saddle stool similar to Shana's only no back rest. I really couldn't be without it. I only stand when working towards the back of the machine. I can sit for about 3/4's of the stitching area and see just fine. I love that it is adjustable. when working toward the back I raise it up. When working near the front I lower it.

I'm planning to buy a chair also but I havn't decided which yet. Do you know this:

http://www.varierfurniture.com/default.aspx?menu=687&id=55

or another variation:

http://www.varierfurniture.com/default.aspx?menu=862&id=353

They don't have rollers but the first one can be moved a little bit for and back and sideways and I thought I would even sit on the chair when I'm doing little narrow designs. For bigger designs I would miss the swing of moving on my own feet.

Shana what brand is yours? I have been using my grandmother's old yellow metal kitchen chair with pull out steps (is anyone old enough to remember those) and I would love to have an actual chair to sit in. I have grown in width so I don't fit as good as I used to:P

I have a saddle stool also. I have a time with my back, lower, and shoulders and neck. The saddle stool forces you to use good posture. When I was looking for one, it seemed all the machine quilting resources that had them wanted $140 or so. Well, I am a thrifty person so I went to the internet and started searching. I ended up at ebay and paying $80 almost half the price that the online quilting companies wanted. Yippee :cool:

Originally posted by Bekah

Shana what brand is yours? I have been using my grandmother's old yellow metal kitchen chair with pull out steps (is anyone old enough to remember those) and I would love to have an actual chair to sit in. I have grown in width so I don't fit as good as I used to:P

Hi Bekah,

I don't remember the name of mine... I'll have to go look. But I bought mine from ebay used... it was about $50 with $20 shipping (total $70) and that included the shipping, but the new ones go for at least twice that. If you want to save a little you could search ebay (new and used). Just an idea...

And yes, I remember the yellow step stool chairs. You better hang onto that. It is surely a collector's item. No kidding! :)

Such a delimma! That first one looks like a good idea. Being able to lean one way or another and still in a sitting position sounds good. However, does it scoot or slide, or how does it move if you want to go 3 or 4 feet? $565 is too much for me. I saw a couple of reviews on Amazon.com----one was good, the other not so good.

When I first got Milli, I just knew I'd have times when I'd get tired!!! I ended up with an office store demo model, half price of a great price already ($60) It looks a lot like Boni's, I really like the back rest, it lets me fully stretch out my muscles,and helps me keep aligned . The other reason I got it, when the teens moved out, they took ALL the furniture in my future studio (my ok) except the pool table:D:D

One of my favorite exercise/stretch is to slowly while sitting, reach both hand for the ceiling, then back over the back of the chair, count and relax all your muscles, then slowly reverse it.

People don't always think of it, but another thing that helps is to use a box of the right height, at the right distance away from the chair, to put your feet up on. Change feet, put both up, whatever needed that day. I use one kind of tall.

Kerstin,

Recently, I finally found a saddle stool here in Germany - with rollers! It looks like the one Shana has posted a picture of but without the back support. I like it a lot when quilting high-density areas. The saddle form of the seat provides for a stable and upright way of sitting - but then I do dressage riding and thus am used to sitting in a saddle...

I got my chair through a friend of a friend who owns a beauty parlor. Hairdressers' accessory stores sell them. I'm just mentioning this as it took me a while to figure out where to look for this type of chairs here...

Have a great Sunday,

Birgit

Archived