How much thread should you have?

So I'm still working on my daughters quilt and notice that my thread is running low. No problem I have another spool. Well it finally runs out and I go to my cabinet and the other spool I have is almost gone too!!!!! Oh I'm so mad. I've sent out an SOS to 3 people that live close by and I'm praying one of them have it. If not I'll be putting in my thread order tonight and making sure that I always have 2 large spools of a color when I'm doing something with dense quilting!!!!! I so wanted to get this quilt done this weekend...afraid that isn't going to happen!!!!!

Dito liam''s advice. Everytime I order thread I add a few new colors and then I too keep several spools of the colors I use the most. I just made an order from permacore and I am hoping I like it as the spools are 6000yds for about the same price as so fine. I hope this helps.

Nora

Millennium

Washougal Wa

I hate when this happens. I get very nervous when I am doing a large quilt and the spool of thread has a questionable amount of thread on it...I always tell myself when I load the quilt...oh this should be enough and then when I get to the last 2 rows of the quilting on the quilts I find myself praying/ saying the rosary that I will have just enough to finish the quilt. If I run out mid quilt then it is 1 week of not getting any more quilts done (I don't have zippers on my machine) although this would be an excellent arguement for having zippers. :)

Originally posted by quiltmonkey

OH good I can't wait to see this MASTERPIECE!!!!!!!! :)

I don't know about Masterpiece but I can't wait to get her done!!!! My daughter is loving it so that is all that really counts! I was hoping for tomorrow but I don't know if that will happen. I have about 18 hours into the cross hatching of the stars alone! Back to the cross hatching!

So glad you got your thread!

I always start with a "Sew Fine" and a Permacore, I like the thicker threads on top and the thinner on the bottom. So I try to match them...

Since we go to Zanesville - A Touch of Thread quilting - each month, I usually buy 2 - 4 spools then. That way it's not such a budget buster. I always check what quilts I have upcoming and purchase for them. AND you can never have too much white, black, and tan. Guess I'm due for more yellow now. LOL

Can't wait to see your daughters quilt!

Bobbi I love my SoFine. It is what I use the most. For this quilt I'm using BL in the bobbin. I just got 1/4 of the outside border done and ran out just before I finished it. I'm onto the 3rd spool. The other 2 were partials. The first I used was almost full and the 2nd one was less than a 1/4. All in all I'll guess that I'll end up using 1 1/2 spools total just for the top. I am really loving how it is coming out though. I'm so ready to be done! I figure about 8 more hours and I should be able to call it done...I hope!

Dory,

Well I usually always have 2 spools of this color on hand but I've been putting off my thread order because I've been so busy and it takes time to get online and order. I also went by memory and LOL I shouldn't do that. When I started this quilt I recall thinking that 1 spool would be more than enough...NOT! I've added to the amount of quilting and that just ate up the thread. Lesson Learned.

Oh yeah and I found my stencil last night! Of course I don't need it anymore for this quilt!

That's a loaded question Heidi!! There is never too much thread.

I usually keep 2 of each I use the most on hand. If I do run out of something, I can usually make an emergency trip to the APQS showroom and pick up a new spool. It's nice to have them so close. It spoils me!!

Kenna,

LOL the stencil was under a fabric taht I have laid out for another quilt I want to make. Mind you that I had lifted that fabric and the stencil wasn't there! Today I had a friend/customer come over and I was showing her to see if she liked my color choices and there it was! I think the stencil gremlin had it! Only a 1/4 of the border to go! Yippee!!!!! I'm so ready to be done with this quilt. Then I have to wash it and get all the blue out and my daugher already knows she has to help me block it but since it is for her she isn't grumbling too much!

Archived