Madison Quilt Expo (BOS picture)

I went to the Madison Quilt Expo today. There were so many beautiful quilts there! I wanted to take a lot of pictures, but there were so many people it was almost impossible. Last year I was able to take a lot of pictures, the people would stand aside and let you take them. That wasn't the case this year, people were so rude. I took several pictures where someone walked right in front of my camera. The best of show quilt was amazing, it was all hand appliqued, the quilting was incredible. The quilting was done all in silk thread. I was able to get one picture of it after standing there for over 20 minutes and asking numerous times if the people could stand back so I could get a couple pictures. After my flash went off, everyone jumped right back infront of the quilt. I wanted to get some close ups and a picture or two of the back, but ended up with just the one picture. I was too fustrated to stand there any longer. Other than fighting all the people I had a good time, I even brought 3 new pantos from Golden Threads.

Here is the only picture I got of the "Best of Show" Quilt

2985043830105338396S425x425Q85.jpg

I also took this picture for Boni......thought she'd get a kick out of it. :P

2076720350105338396S425x425Q85.jpg

The best of show quilt was featured in MQ Unlimited, spring 2009. I have been starring at for a long time. It's called Cathedral Ceiling and it's machine appliqued (not hand, sorry Liam,) and machine quilted on a Berina 170 all done by Millie Sorrells. Her design came from a copyright free design in Dover book. The reason I took to this is I have a photo of a tile floor that a co-worker took when she was in Italy and it sits in my to-do someday pile and it has the same look as Millie's. If you have the magazine, it's worth the re-read.

Liam, thanks for letting us know it won another ribbon.

It really is difficult to get close enough to the quilts to get close up photos but it's even more difficult to get far enough away from it to get the whole quilt in the picture. Throw in a few dozen people all admiring the quilt at the same time and ....well...... In other words, you did really good getting the picture that you did. It really is a beautiful quilt!

Joanne, thank you for the correction on the applique'. The woman showing the quilt (with the white gloves on) and explaining the quilt and details, said it was hand appliqued. I couldn't get close enough to it, because there were always 10+ people around it. I was so fustrated after all that time just trying to get a picture of it, that I just gave up and moved on. I don't get MQ Unlimited......But maybe I should. Again Thanks!

Liam,

Timing is everything. When I went to Paducah, I went in the morning with my group on the tour bus to the show and the crowds were overwhelming. I went back on my own later in the day (around 1:00 pm) and there was hardly anyone there. I was able to get some great pictures with nobody walking in front of me or standing in front of the quilts. I have since learned not to get there the first thing in the morning. Lunch time is best.

Archived