Quilts as Curtains/Drapes/Valances

Has anyone made quilts to use for curtains, drapes or valances? I recently bought a house and want to both decorate and better insulate the windows. It occurred to me that quilted curtains would be appropriate for a quilter's home:P! It would be interesting to hear about or see photos of decorative and also insulated quilted window coverings that any of you have made or seen. Thanks!

I want to do the same...but was waiting for my quilting to get better. Aaaaaand, to get the rooms painted.

It'll be good to see what people are doing along these lines.

Can't think of a better way to decorate than with your "favorite things", and mine is quilts.

Anita

I was in a LQS and they had a rug that they made out of fabric and it looked like a pieced top. It was really cool looking, but I could not get myself to walk on it. They started with canvas, used diluted Modge Podge and paint the canvas, put the fabric pieces on it more Modge Podge and then mat Polyurethane. It really did look neat.

My mom has pieced valances on her studio windows. They match the pieced skirt that she installed on her sewing table. I have been considering doing something similar, but since I have no curtains anywhere in my house, I doubt that I will be doing it anytime soon. I had treatments in a couple rooms before we did renovations a couple of years ago and just never put them back up. Maybe I will get to it in the new house. ;)

My daughter sent me a picture (from a catalog, I think) that showed real quilt as a window curtain. It had large buttonholes for the curtain rod to go through. This one was actually a quilted fabric instead of of a pieced top. I have thought of doing that for my large windows when the sunroom gets finished. I would probably hang them with clip rings so it is easy to change for summer if I choose to.

Hi.

I made some for my then 5 year-old son's room. I used a poly batt and quilted around his race car motifs. I think they were fine for a child's room but puffed out in the winter when the heat was on. We have base board heating under the windows and as the heat rose, it snuck up betwen the layers and puffed out! I made them like typical lined drapes with open, hemmed bottoms. Very warm though!

Good luck,

Lisa

APQS Liberty

NW NJ

Archived