quiltazoid

Tony123--yes I did do SID to get to the next line of the crosshatching--I could suggest a ruler--and I used to use the Itty Bitty--from Off the Edge--then I put the Edgerider wheels on my machine--a whala--now I can do most of my SID without a ruler!! Just like any other type of work--the right tools make the job much easier!!

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

TerriV, how do your edgerider wheels make it possible to SID without a ruler? Do they balance the machine that much more than the regular wheels it came with? Mine were shipped last week, hope to install them sometime around Christmas, when hubby is home and I have time.

My QZ was shipped last Thursday, maybe I can play with it this weekend????

Not Terri here but the edgerider wheels just give you way more control. I love mine. I normally use my microdrives and to go around applique I don't use a ruler, just go slow and take my time. When I'm working with the Quiltazoid to do cross hatching I can just SID without a ruler as well. If I'm doing lots of straight line quilting in the ditch I still use the ruler. I love my Quiltazoid and my edgerider wheels!

Originally posted by Merryjo2003

I just got mine and have been too busy to use it!:mad: I can't wait to try it and you guys have given me so much inspiration! This is my busiest time of year and if I could just get some practice in, I think I would use this to speed up the proces on some of these quilts.

Merry Jo,

I'm sure you will find it easy and quick to use. If you can just spare a couple of hours I think you will get the knack of it. You don't even have to use all the features. It is wonderful. Let me know if you have any problems. It is so exciting to have other have it and I can't wait to see what else you guys come up with!

Kim, I do not have an onboard bobbin winder, so not sure if it will be in the way or not.

Toni, Edgeriders are wheels that replace the original wheel of your machine, giving you more control, in my opinion. www.EdgeRiderWheels.com

Off the Edge has quilting supplies for the longarm. Check them out at www.offtheedgequilting.com

Remember, we all had to start at ground zero on our machines. Practice is still in all of our vocabularies. So, keep practicing. :)

Virginia,

The topper has a stationary arm and you can only do template tracing with it. On the quiltazoid you can do design boards, rotate the design, and the arm is positionable without having to roll the quilt to get the exact position. In addition to that you have the spirograph designs that you can do. Right now the only thing the Quiltazoid can't do that the topper can (at least for me because I had a longer arm made for the topper) is doing the long boards. Hopefully there will be new developments and that will become a function of the quiltazoid too.

Originally posted by sagebrushquilter

The Quiltazoid does however have a stylus that can be used from the pantograph side of the machine for using the long boards.

Heidi's long arm on the Topper allows her to do them from the front.

Thanks Kristina that is very true! Can you tell I hate the back of the machine. I don't mind doing pantos but it isn't my favorite. I'd much rather be up front so that I can see what I'm doing.

Thanks Kristina and Heidi, I was confused about the difference. I like working from the front of the machine as well. I'm short and even when my Millie is as low as she can go, I can't see anything from the back. I'm interested in the QZ. I think my first big purchase will be the edgerider wheels and then the QZ. Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by seakitten

If you could only get one thing (first), would it be the Quiltazoid, or the Edgeriders ?

In my case, I chose the Quiltazoid first. I've been quilting with the wheels that came on my Millie for 4 years without a problem so I figured the Quiltazoid would be more beneficial. I still want the Edgerider wheels and I'll get them, maybe for Christmas.

Monika - LOL you'll be right there with us once you get yours!

Annie - There are a few basic differences. The Quiltazoid can work from the back or the front of the machine. You can use tracing templates or the spirograph attachment. The spirograph attachment alone has probably more than 600 designs - really the sky is the limit because you can change the designs and get secondary designs. The CL just came up with a front attachment but I haven't heard of anybody who has used it. It also takes up 30" of your quilting space which is a lot. I would guess the quiltazoid only takes up 9 - 12". With the CL you have to take it on and off to roll your quilt and with the Quiltazoid you can roll with it still in place you just release the break. There is also a huge price difference. I would suggest you go to both sites and do a comparison. I know the most about the Quiltazoid because that was the one I chose to go with. You can get the basic Quiltazoid & spirograph for $700. The tracing template are only $75 - 85. You can also get design boards to use from the back of the machine if you want that option. You also have the option of attaching CL templates or design boards from R&S on the Quiltazoid. The Hartley fence works from the back and you can do cross hatching & circle and buy some templates but I don't think it has the versatility of the other two systems. Happy shopping.

Archived