Rayon thread for quilting?!?

I have been testing all sorts of thread on my Millie, so that I can honestly say that my machine can use almost anything out there. One of the threads I was able to quilt with was a very pretty Floriani 40 wt. rayon. Looks real nice on my thread sampler, and I have no complaints about it.

However..... last weekend I was in Montana teaching a couple of classes to some Gammill gals, and one of them told me something that she had just found out about rayon thread - it doesn't keep its tensile strength when wet! We tested this on one of her spools, and sure enough, a thread that held up just fine when dry, parted with ease when dampened.:(

I came home and did the same test on my Floriani - same result. Has anyone quilted with rayon and then washed the quilt? And what were the results?

Hey there Barb,

I would never use rayon on anything I would be washing. I'm with Connie. Even with the embroidery module, I used the Polyneon from Madeira. I gave a bunch of it to Shana. She seems to like it pretty well. Rayon not only fades, but breaks down and many times does bleed. HTH.

Nancy

P.s. Pet Lola for me!!!

I've used rayon for embroidery for years. I haven't had any problem with fading or washing with it. I've embroidered many t-shirts that get washed a lot. I'm not sure I would ever use the rayon for quilting. I've heard the same things you guys have. Maybe it works for embroidery because of the density of the stitching and wouldn't work as well with a single thread?

Another thread I really love is the Fil-Tec glide. It's poly, and has a sheen like the Superior Highlights. It's great to quilt with if you like the sheen. I get it at Bobbin Central and it's very economical. It is used for both embroidery and quilting.

I don't want to be the bearer of bad news, but a few years ago I quilted a quilt with rayon thread (and a cotton in the bobbin). That quilt has been washed many, many times as it is a lap quilt that I snuggle under (usually the dog too) when watching GH :D

Well, the rayon thread has mostly disintigrated. I'm thinking I have to requilt the whole thing. I won't use rayon for quilts anymore, except perhaps and art quilt that would hang on the wall and never be washed.

Thanks, Caroline - and everybody else! I had a sinking feeling that perhaps the rayon wasn't a proper fit with our machines, even though it looks pretty on the fabric and runs through the machine nicely. Maybe if I ever do an art quilt.....

Archived