How to use ruler templates?

:o Hi everyone, I am new to using rulers/templates and would really like to be able to do this technique. So my questions is...What's the trick? You can't hold them down because then your machine won't move. How do you keep them from slipping? I'm sure it's just a matter of practice, practice, practice...but you have any suggestions, tips, tricks please let me know. Thanks!

Hi Julia,

Just like we do with our rotary cutting rulers... you need to have some sort of non slip surface on the back of your LA rulers. You can use sandpaper dots, or other products meant for rulers. Can't think of the name right now, but there is a clear film type stuff that you cut to the shape of your ruler and it just clings to the ruler and helps to grip the fabric. Look under notions on Columbia River supplies or KingsMen.

You also need some sort of expanded base to maintain a stable platform for the rulers. I have the Hartley Expanded base, but there are several other types that our quilters use and like, so you can check them out. And yes, you actually do hold the ruler on the quilt and move the machine along the edge / around the template. Like everything else quilting, it just takes some Practice, Practice, Practice!

If you want something similiar to the sandpaper dots, you might check out grip tape for skateboards. It comes in clear and it works beautifully. I found it locally at a skateboard/bike shop and it's also available on Ebay. I cut it into 1/2 squares and put it on all my rulers. Here's a link to a piece on Ebay. Or you can search on Ebay for clear grip tape.

http://cgi.ebay.com/9x33-CLEAR-GRIPTAPE-GRIP-TAPE-SKATEBOARD-SHEET-FastShip_W0QQitemZ150295925112QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item22fe55d178

Renee'

The grip tape for skateboards has a gritty texture similiar to sandpaper dots, it's just a little smoother or maybe finer. I prefer the grip tape because for me it grips a little better and lasts a lot longer than the sandpaper dots. Maybe I put too much pressure on my rulers/templates but the sandpaper dots didn't last very long.

• 3 months later...

Julia,

Pictures????? I bet your quilt turned out nice!

Using rulers IS fun!! When I first started using rulers on the extended base (homemade), I was fearful of that my machine would jump onto the ruler. But with practice, just like every other technique, it gets easier!

Sometimes I get "stuck" in fear and it takes a while before I will try a new tool. But the sooner I jump into using it, the faster I build my confidence with it.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Julie, I went to the hardware store and got fine sand paper with a peel and stick backing and cut it into tiny pieces and stuck it to the templates. Put on a base expander, that is very inportant. The fine sand paper gives you just enough grip to keep the template in place. Apply some presure to the template but not enough to keep the machine from moving. JMTCW.

Nora

Archived