Questions on Binding

I recently opened a longarm quilting business out of my home and a neighbor of mine is offering binding service. However she binds in a way I've never seen before. She sews the binding on the quilt top only. I've always been taught to sew the binding through all three layers...top, batting and backing...then fold it over and whip stitch it on the backing.

She tried doing it like I just explained, through all three layers, but doesn't care to do it like this, claims the batting might be hard on her needle 'cause her sewing machine is 60+ years old. And this is how she's always done it for the last 30 years.

I feel that sewing the binding on the top only isn't as secure as going through all three layers. Plus when I start a quilt, I don't really want to leave a 1/2" around the whole edge. I feel that starting and stopping my pattern may be difficult, plus I'll have the thread strands/starts to mess with.

I would like some thoughts on this... pros, cons, how you do the binding......

Thanks in advance!

Michelle

She binds for my customers (who bring me tops) that want a quilt completly finished, since i don't offer binding service.

i agree- i don't understand why she only stitches the binding to the top...i don't understand why she's scared for her machine. i own lots of vintage machines and they never complain about sewing on binding...*shrug*

but if she's binding for you and your customers, as long as the finished prduct meets your quality standards and your customers are happy...

but i agree, it makes more work to quilt quilts to meet her needs for the binding...maybe quilt a small sample and show her how sewing the binidng through all three layers maked it easier for you to quilt the tops...who knows she might swing to your side...

good luck with this situation....

I agree, the binding should be through all layers. I use the double-fold method which gives the binding extra strength and then machine stitch to quilt top through all layers. If it is a baby quilt that will get dragged around, I then fold the binding towards the back, pin and stitch in the ditch from the front side to catch that back binding. If it is a quilt that will be used traditionally, I machine stitch from the front (double-fold method) and ladder-stitch it from the back so no stitches show.

Are you taking in the quilts and "providing the full service" to the customer? Meaning, you are taking the customers money to finish a product and hiring your neighbor to do the binding? If so, this could reflect badly on you if the customer is not happy with the binding service. If she is not willing to "work for you and do it your way" I would find someone else.

If you want to do the quilting and then refer your customers to this woman, then it is between your customer and the binder and it does not reflect on your business at all.

My customers are fully aware that She does the binding and in most cases they pay her seperatly. Sometimes, if they are from out of town, I take them to her, she brings them back and I pay her.

I think we will be able to come to a conclusion, I just want to approach it in a way that their are no hard feelings (she works in an office that I visit once a week!!) :)

Binding really should go through all layers as otherwise it will look floppy on the top unless you SID along the edge of the binding which would be a PITA. You will also waste too much time finishing off ends, I frequently just backstitch them off in the area that will be covered by the binding.

Tell her that it is not economical for you to have to work in this way. It may be good enough for her but would not be good enough in a judged show.It will be difficult to explain without offending her.

Originally posted by lcquilting

She tried doing it like I just explained, through all three layers, but doesn't care to do it like this, claims the batting might be hard on her needle 'cause her sewing machine is 60+ years old. And this is how she's always done it for the last 30 years.

Has she changed the needle in the 60 year life of the machine? :P:P:P I used to work at a store where we sold machines and all the accessories, and when some people came in with their machines because they didn't work we would always ask when they last put a new needle in. Some never had - REALLY!

You might suggest she go to her local sewing machine store with the make/model of machine that she has and she can ask what needle to use for the binding task (and actually if you know what the machine is you could call the store to find out as info to use in discussion with her.) She also should understand a needle will do more than one quilt, and they are inexpensive. She can add the cost into her fee for the binding service.

I have in front of me a Klasse needle guide for choosing the correct needle. It indicates a "Quilting Needle for piecing and quilting layers of cotton fabric and batting. Long sharp point penetrates multiple layers and maintains straight stitches. Available in size 80/12, 90/14, and titanium 80/12." A universal or sharps would do the job, also.

Seems to me a lot of the sewing done 60 years ago also included patching heavy work clothes that were harder to sew on than a quilt sandwich.

Good luck with this.

I have a family friend who is in her seventies and she pieces, quilts and blind stitch her binding on the top & bottom. She says using a sewing machine is cheating. And you don't want to know what she says about longarm quilting. So when she comes to family functions we don't talk about quiting.

Liam, we are cheating because we use machines and she does it by hand??!!!! Helloooo, take away her scissors and see how far she gets!! hahaha I think a lot of people do things the old way, because "that's how grandma did it". Well, that was what was available to grandma. I know if my grandma had our technology she'd not do hand piecing ever again!!

I just came from classes at QwM, and we had many discussions on this same topic. Not binding, "cheating". For me, I'm using my machines, rotary cutters, and whatever else has been invented to make it easier!

Maybe this lady should bind by candle light too!!:P:P Isn't using electricity cheating??:P:P:P

Thanks for all of your great posts! I spoke to my neightbor last night and told her after doing much research on long arm quilting and talking to my new quilting friends here :), that it would be near impossible for me to do quality work having to stop and start a 1/2" in each time. And she agreed that stitching the binding to all three layers is the best solution. (I didn't bring up the fact that I still believe that it is more secure because I don't want to offend her) So we will just agree to disagree!:) As long as the customers are happy!

Thanks again to you all! So glad I came across this forum, I have a feelin' it is going to be a great resouce for helping me in my new venture!!

Sincerely,

Michelle

Michelle sounds like the perfect solution. I hadn't thought about it the way Sandra had where she could stitch the binding on before hand and that would give you stability to the edges and then your could SID around the binding and she could finish with the hand work. That would be a lot of passing the quilt back and forth though but at least a better solution than you quilting it 1/2" from the edge. I sure wouldn't want to be the one to put the binding on that way!

Originally posted by SandraG

I have seen a lot of hand quilters put the binding on the top before quilting. This would help to stabilize the edges of the quilt top. As we all know, the quilt police are just imaginary!!:):):)

Hi Sandra, how are you sweetie?

I don't know about the police being imaginary. The ones around here stands in the next room just waiting for a mistake. I think you guys can guess who.;)

Archived