Thread cutter / Ruler mate

Originally posted by Bonnie

I would think Kristina is right, once all the stuff is removed and you put the plastic thing back on you shouldn't need to replace it, but if you decide to....let me know and I will buy your old one...as I need one

I will let you know this week.:)

All I can say that after working without a thread cutter all my quilting life and now to get one...its like a pray come true. I won't be taking mine off now or ever, and honestly at this moment in time, can't really understand why anyone would. I can't imagine that object being that much a difference in weight....what does it weigh 4-5 pounds if that. I guess I will have to try a machine that has had removed to understand...

Bonnie - Glad you love it and glad you love your new baby - so exciting.

I took my thread cutter off because I always bring my threads up, tie and bury - just me - really didn't use the thread cutter. I don't think everyone does tie and bury and that is the deciding factor. I felt a huge difference when I took it off. I felt that the machine was better centered and ran smoother - especially on the diagonal - IMO. On the other hand, if one doesn't tie and bury or at least bring the threads up after doing their tiny stitches, the thread cutter might be considered the best thing in the world.

So, before anyone considers taking theirs off - carefully evaluate your quilting style. Once off, I think it is a pain to put back on.

Originally posted by Bonnie

Didn't get your email, but I have sent you one so now you have a direct link to me.....I don't use outlook so if that is how it came it was trashed.

So that's why you didn't respod to my emails!!!

I called the rulermate folks and my rulermate will still work without the thread cutter. They have a cut out underneath to accomidate the cutter but it doesn't affect a machine without the thread cutter. If i was switching from no thread cutter i would need a different plate. Thanks for offering to buy if i nreeded to sell it, i appreciate the offer.

Happy quilting!:)

Originally posted by DoryJM

Okay, I'm missing something here...I must be.:(

I have a thread cutter, but, if I use it, then my tails are so short I can't pull the thread up.

Someone please enlighten me...Bonnie, Heidi, Kristina....tell me how you use it. Please!!!!

I personally tie off each start and stop...always have and will, just a habit for me....and it didn't take me but just a few ties to figure out how to do this.

I move the machine head over to the side about 10 inches and cut the thread....then I bring the bottom thread up and bury it like I always have done. WHEN you move your machine head over...your choice of distance, and then you use the thread cutter...it cuts the thread the LENGTH you moved your head....yes if you leave the machine head right where you ended your sewing you will only get a small tail, but by moving the head you stretch out the bottom thread the length you need it to be to bury and then you manually bring it up. Thread you needle like always and bury. Sure beats bending over and cutting the bottom thread....Call me lazy, but this works for me...and I will NEVER take it off.

Or you can bring your bottom thread up when you stop quilting...and manually pull off enough of the bottom thread and cut the new loop you just pulled up. This method I have trouble with so I do it the way I first described.

Archived