New quilter needs advise on helpful tools!

I know you wonderful ladies can help me here. Someone asked a while back--when you are getting started, what handy little tools are necessary? What does a person need to get started? From basics to "Oh, I can't live without that!". I think I'd really like a Hartley Fence, but that's a lot of money right now. I've always done a lot of "stitch in the ditch" and outlining. Maybe with my tax refund. And I have another silly question, what do all the abbreviations stand for??? I know DIL means "Daughter in law", but after that I'm lost. I must have lived a very sheltered life.

I've had my Millinium for a month now and am totally in love! I'm heading to Des Moines to take the classes with Dawn, hopefully the first week in Feb. weather permitting. I've done one actual crib-size wall hanging and then a couple of other practice pieces. I'll probably donate them to our elderly care facilities when I get them done. I'm trying really hard to master feathers, they're coming along.

I love reading all of your post and marvel at the pictures of all the beautiful quilts. Hopefully some day, I will be half as talented as all of you. I look forward to reading more helpful hints. Thanks, Sheryl

And btw(see, I can learn), how do I change it so my name shows up instead of "saratogaquilter". That doesn't sound very friendly. Thanks again.

Sheryl,

When I first started quilting, I bougt a ton of "got to haves", sold some, others didn't really need. Take your time and PPP using your straight edge and freehand then start adding to your tools. I hardly use my Circle Lord, but love the zig zag template. My favoriate rulers are the triple play and Janet Lee's favorite. Good luck. Joanne

Sheryl,

I have both the Hartly Fence and the Circle Lord. I haven't used my HF since I got the Circle Lord. If you are choosing between the two I'd go with the Circle Lord. I really enjoy using mine. However, since you are new to longarming I recommend that you wait on both. Start putting together a list of what you think you would like and then prioritize. If you have any questions on what I have said send me a U2U. (Upper right hand corner of the page. Click on U2U and it is like an email.)

Pamela

I use the itty bitty ruler for my SID. (www.offtheedgequilting.com). I tried longer ones but kept running over them with the hopping foot (we should have an acronym for that!) So I stick to the itty bitty.

I bought a Hartley Fence but have not unpacked it (after 6 months). I wish I'd waited for a quiltazoid or Circle Lord instead.

I could live without all my gadgets except my seam sqizzers. They are really lightweight thread snips that I can hang off my clothing. I have many pairs. Apparently they are designed for ripping out seams but I use them for snipping threads they have a hooked blade that makes it a lot harder to accidentally cut the quilt top.

Ferret

Sheryl,

"saratogaquilter" IS your name as far as the message board is concerned. That's the name you chose when you signed up.

As far as tools and gadgets are concerned, I have a Hartley Fence (came with my machine), a Quiltazoid and various pattern boards. I never use the Hartley Fence.

Welcome Sheryl,

Good advise from all. I'd make sure to have a good SID ruler, my new absolute favorite is the Little One from Deloa Jones. It has 1/4" & 1/2" notches to make it easy to line up and is marked with 1/4" lines and diagonal lines. Love it! I have both the big one and little one but prefer the smaller one. I also love my nested circles from Quilters Rule. The other tool that I use a lot is my quiltazoid. It allows me to easily do circles & cross hatching plus a whole lot more but those are the two things I use regularly.

by the way does your name Saratoga have anything to do with Saratoga Springs NY?

Sheryl,

It is difficult to know what to buy when you are first starting out. I would not jump into making purchases just yet, at least not until you have had time to practice. Once you have taken a class or two and get some good practice time in, then you could start purchasing some tools that would help you with the type of qulting you want to do. When you are ready to start buying a few tools, pay attention to the forum to see what others are talking about. Do what you are doing now, by asking questions. Just don't be in a hurry to purchase right now. I bought things in the beginning that I wish I had not, if I had known what I was doing I would have waited and been more informed. I'm sure others will tell you the same. Most of all...have lots of fun!

It's very tempting to buy what someone else recommends and I did that and now have some tools that I NEVER use! One thing that I'm glad I bought is an extended base. I bought the Hartley one and there are others out there too, but I'm happy with the Hartley. I also bought the micro handles. I don't use them often, but when I need them, I have them. Also, I bought zippers for my leaders. LOVE THEM. But as I said, don't be tempted by what others say, go to the shows, look at the products and try them out if possible. Then make your decisions. But the most important thing to remember is to HAVE FUN. :)

My must have's: itty bitty ruler or something of that size, tweezers and very sharp blade with point (for frogging), an extended base (Hartley or the one by Donita Reeves), a straight ruler 10 - 12" long, a smaller curved ruler to help me outline (SID) around curves & Marvey Markers. These are the few things I use all the time. Everything else is an add on and you should take your time making choices. It is surprising how much we can do without lots and lots of tools. Zippers are great - love mine.

Welcome, I didn't get a chance to read through everyone's suggestions but I totally agree with the itty bitty. Zippers (a must, if doing customer quilts), extended base (needed for ruler work) and a self-threading needle (great for burying threads), thread snips and the list could go on but these are my "must haves." I have the CL (expensive but great).

Thanks for all the input everyone! I really appreciate it. Heidi--I live in a little town in NE Iowa. I'm waiting to see what we will get for weather today. Parts south of me are expecting upwards to 1/4" of ice. Gotta make sure I have enough hand work to do in case we lose power. Looks like I gotta find a good ruler and a circle lord. My "goal" is to be able to custom quilt. My dream is to get out of my factory job before they carry me out on a stretcher. I am so inspired by the beautiful quilts I see here.

Thanks again everyone!

Sheryl

Archived