satin stitched applique

so i have this little quilt (it's a freebie pattern, free spirit's site i think)

so i was wondering, where do y'all SID? inside the satin stitch or outside on the background fabric? or both?

just wondering....share your thoughts....it's nice to hear how different people do the same things....

post--13461903344292_thumb.jpg

Doodlebug,

Two thoughts to consider:

1. Thread color

When I stitch around satin stitch, I use invisible thread in the top and bottom. This really helps if I get off a little and catch the satin stitch, or get too far out. If you use a colored thread, it can look like the piecer didn't do a nice job with the satin stitch.

2. Piecer's accuracy

If you stitch on BOTH sides of the satin stitch, you run the risk of popping the applique piece loose if her stitches didn't take a big enough "bite" into the applique piece as she added it. Personally, I've always played it safe and stitched only on the outside of the satin stitch so that it doesn't pucker or end up with gaps if my needle catches it in a few places.

Just food for thought:)

I would SID only on the outside and I would either match my thread colour to the satin stitch and be very cautious to stitch along the edge of the satin stitch, or for a more stress free SID use an invisible thread, but I prefer the coloured thread.

I wouldn't do on the inside of the satin stitch, it may cause you more problems than it's worth and run the risk of puffing the satin stitch -- unless that's a effect you want.

Adorable piece, have fun! :)

Originally posted by doodlebug

it was cute tho.....i liked the border fabric.....

(p.s. don't tell the quilt police, but i have yet to quilt using a mono....*shrug* shhhhhh ;) )

What is the border fabic???

And why haven't you used Mono stuff yet???? Just don't like the look??? That is usually why i will work harded to stay right in the SID and use a colored thread.

I would like to see this with the quilting going down into the body of the animal... following the ear..... and back out again too. Just my thoughts.....

Archived