My attempt at freehand and SID !

This is my first attempt with a ruler and stitch in ditch work, which I would have actually loved doing except for awful tension problems with metro thread. (1st time using this stuff) will be back to Glide or so fine next quilt !!

I stitched in the ditch around the star and blocks, and did a kind of terry twist (I think that is the term) in the corner squares and triangles, then filled in each star in different designs.

Although I am happy with the result overall (well from a distance anyway), some of my stitch in ditch is outside the ditch - more in the middle of the road in some places !!! LOL

I have learned alot of lessons though with this quilt, which is what PPP is all about !!

1 Never use a plain backing

2 Never use bright thread on front and pale on back

3 Get a better stitch in ditch ruler

:P

Janette your quilt looks great. Your stitch in the ditch looks fine to me and your terry twists look good too. My stitch in the ditch is still quite wobbly :P

I was on Deloa's website last night watching her videos of her using her rulers. The one she calls Castle guide looks really good for stitch in the ditch.

http://www.deloasquiltshop.com/deloasonlinestore/castleguide.html

I have a couple of rulers for stitch in the ditch , but I might just have to get this one plus her Boomerang rulers

Hi Kath

It is funny you say that because I ordered the castle a couple of days ago !! I hope to get better results with that. I did think about the "little one" too, but I think you could do more with the castle.

Hope you are well.

Janette

Originally posted by goldringading

Well done Janette, Your quilt looks great! I love the colouway you have chosen....

I was wondering what was keeping you so quiet in the Feather Boot Camp, now I know!!!

Did you use any of your new found feathers on this quilt????

Beat Wishes

Hi Kay,

Yes I did do feathered borders, but I am not too happy with them. The spine is a bit crooked, and there are plenty of potato chips! I think I may have to accept I can' t freehand feathers. I might have to go and buy a decent feather panto !!! LOL

See what I mean (attaching photo of borders!)

post--13461903617578_thumb.jpg

Quote: I was wondering what was keeping you so quiet in the Feather Boot Camp, now I know!!!

PS, I didn't piece this quilt recently. It was in my stash of tops that didn't quite make the grade !! although am now running a little low of tops !:P

Janette,

You did a great job! SID just takes a little practice and then you relax. YOu will like the castle ruler. I love the Little one and use it all the time! DeLoa always puts a ton of thought into her rulers and tries to make them versatile. I also think you did a great job on those feathers and you are being too hard on yourself!

Very nice. My aha moment with rulers was when I put no slip little squares on all my rulers. I had more control and my outline and stitch in the ditch was so much better. I like the clear no slip stair stuff you get at the hardware store.

Fine line rulers uses sticky velcro and that works too.

I'm not sure what the 6 ft. rule is, but I have a 10 ft rule (maybe my eyesight is worse?) but if you stand 10 ft away from the quilt, you don't see all the little wobbles and bobbles!! Or there is another one that if your are in a car, going 25 mph at 10 ft you don't see anything except the beautiful fabrics used. Or something like that. ;)

Janette,

Your quilt turned out great! And so did your feathers! Way to go! It's fun to have a quilt that gives you the chance to try so many different techniques because it gives a person a great chance to practice on the real thing. And what's the big deal with a little wobble here and there? Just don't do what I did last night.............I was quilting away and all of a sudden I had a huge sneeze!................took me 5 minutes to frog that out! ;) Keep up the great work.

Archived