invisible thread

I have used Sew Art International (recommended by Harriet Hargrave) and available on ebay. It does a great job and I didn't have many tension issues, either. It is a nylon thread, however, and "may" become brittle over time (although Harriet Hargrave said she has had no such problems.) I do plan to get some Superior invisible thread, because it is polyester and will supposedly withstand a nucleur blast! I do like Sew Art Int'l, because it has absolutely no shine to it once it is on the quilt.

I hate to contradict anyone here but I have to speak up. Since so many here on the forum said they loved the Madeira Monolon, I purchased some on a huge cone at a good price. Turns out it is nylon, not polyester. I'm not too worried about the thread yellowing over time but nylon thread will not withstand much ironing. Since I was intending to use the thread for invisible machine applique rather than quilting, I did not want to use nylon. I found another Madeira product Monofil which is their polyester invisible thread. It comes in a 40 weight and 60 weight but only on small spools (max. is 550 yards). For those of you using Monolon, please take care around irons. Nancy in Tucson

Guest Linda S

I use Madeira Monolon also. Indeed, it is nylon thread, but I bought it on the recommendation of Janet-Lee Santeusanio (who runs MQX) when she told me she quilted a lot of her kids' quilts with it. They had been washed and dried a million times, dragged around the house, outside, etc. No breaking, yellowing, fraying, melting. So - that's what I use. I like it better than MonoPoly, because it isn't as shiny. In a pinch, MonoPoly will do just fine too.

I like Monolon. I intend on using it on one of my own quilts this week (the pinch is on to get this done for next week's show!!!). I've never tried it in the bobbin but it would be nice on this quilt if I could try it. Any thoughts on invisible thread in the bobbin???

BTW, my SID in the ditch is greatly improved with the use of Monolon ;)

Nylon melts at 420 degrees and polyester at 260 degrees. Madeira Monolon is made of nylon filament. Polyester is used to make your plastic drinking bottles and known as PET and it has to melt easily in order to be shaped by blow molding into the bottles. So your nylon thread will be tougher and resist heat better than polyester.

For fifteen years our company Invisible Structures recycled HDPE, high density polyethylene which isn't used to make thread. Molding plastic, especially nylon is harder on molds. Little trivia here.

Vicki

I have just done a search to find a vendor for monolon and I found that the 10,000 yd cone of Monolon Bobbin thread was about $19 vs Columbia River which sells Monolon Thread (no mention of bobbin in the description) for $30. Both appear to have the same description. Thanks! Marion

Archived