How do you tell bad piecer's it's bad?

Don't really need a response but, I'm just bummed that I had to call an elderly customber back, who just came out of the hospital as she was suppose to have heart surgury, and somehow figure out how to be nice in telling her the piecing was bad (not square as it was off by 4 inches, her small 2 inch blocks were way off point for doing cross hatching) and ultimately that I wasn't confident in myself that I could do the quilt justice with custom quilting as there was going to be buckling. So, she is picking it up sometime this week. You just hate to discourage someone when they have worked so hard on piecing a full size quilt espcially for their grandaughter.

So sad... try not to beat yourself up about this. You did what was right for the situation. Only you can decide what is possible or not.

A poorly pieced top can be made beautiful with a carefully chosen and placed overall design. Nothing will make the top square, so it is what it is and custom should not be an option. A nice curvy design done from the front can hide a lot.

Good luck when she picks it up. I know you can explain it to her gently and thoughtfully. You have a caring heart.

I second what Linda just said. I do usually mention when I do quilt intake that it may not lay flat enough for what they want in a design and try to steer them to something that will really nail it down like the baptist fan or swirls. In this economy it is hard to lose even one customer.

Nora

I do the same as Nora & Linda and try and steer them toward an all over curvy design. I did one antique quilt that was hand pieced and it was all 9 patches. some 5 x 5 some 5 x 6 some 6 x 7 and all stitched together with ripples in the stitching. I really had my doubts, but I ran an over and back serpentine line of stitching down and across on each seam (yes it took a long time) but the quilt became a beautiful keepsake. I had to push down on one or the other side of the stitching plate to help distribute the fullness, but it all came together. Some of the wonky quilts can be stitched into submission. But as Linda said, only you know where to draw the line for your quilting.

post--13461903988572_thumb.jpg

This is touchy isn't it? Have had some to do with "issues". Wouldn't even submit with Bonnie's steam and starch! If they didn't notice when they were piecing, they probably won't notice when it's quilted (?). Dawn does a nice job in one of her classes of telling what you can do to hide some things.

Patty Jo...Really like your 'fix'. The borders are lovely. Thanks for sharing.

You have to be gentle as we are all doing the best we can.

I agree that it's best if you can take your time and inspect the quilt and see that things don't lay flat during intake. I know I often skip this step and notice it when I'm trying to load it!

Curvy lines and more dense quilting is going to help quilts that have a lot of extra fullness. Also, don't pick a quilting design that draws attention to the points (or where the points should be!). For example, if the the sashing doesn't line up, do a design that bounces around so it's not obvious that it isn't straight, and stitch wavy lines through the cornerstone - again, so it's not obvious that things aren't lining up.

Good luck!

Julia

Originally posted by stitchinsally

......call the elderly customer back, who just came out of the hospital as she was suppose to have heart surgery......

......I wasn't confident in myself that I could do the quilt justice with custom quilting as there was going to be buckling. You just hate to discourage someone when they have worked so hard on piecing a full size quilt espcially for their grandaughter.

Sally,

Good advice by everyone so I need to add my personal perspective. I think before you break any "bad" news to the customer, just have a talk about the quilting designs and provide a better suggestion rather than custom quilting like cross hatching. Is the "grand daughter" a young child? Perhaps something freehand e2e or a pantograph would be a good suggestion. If it were me,,, I wouldn't make an issue that her blocks were way off or that it wasn't square... I would just suggest other ideas that might work better on the quilt. I think I am trying to be sensitive that she is elderly, she is just getting out of the hospital, and most of all, that this quilt is for a grandchild who will most likely love it to death regardless of how imperfect it is. I try to keep this tucked in the back of my mind at all times---- that some things are better left unsaid.

I think bottom line (for me) is to not point out the negative (which is discouraging), but rather suggest the positive (which is encouraging). ;) And that....is my humble $.02.

Shana , I think you are right on. With her health conditions, you never know and this may be her last quilt, and it is more important to get the quilt into the grandchild's hands than only quilt a square quilt. My heart would say to ignore the imperfections and just do the best that you can with what you have to work with - and your customer will probably never notice a slight tuck here or there, just the fact that the grandchild has a a quilt Grandma made.

I second/third what Shana and Patty Jo said. My mother is 80. She does a great job making quilts for her great grandchild. I quilt them for her. Sometimes her points are a little off and sometimes things are not exactly square but when I quilt I have my meauring tape handy and measure every turn. This is where I push or pull to make things line up. It always turns out really nice. Meredith is tickled with her quilts and Mother is tickled to give them to her and I am tickled to have helped. It almost makes me want to cry to know that perhaps next year she might not be able to piece a quilt. I so love seeing her work as she and her mother are the ones who taught me. As long as she lives I will quilt what she brings me and I will treasure each and every one.

Sylvia, you bring tears to my eyes. If my Mum was still here I would be doing the same. Unfortunately Mum was only 46 when she passed away, but if she were 80 and still here, I would be agreeing with you all the way!

I agree with you all here, the piecer probably knows it is not a perfect quilt, and is why she is probably not quilting it herself, not that I am experienced in these issues, not quilting for others, but an allover sounds the best solution.

Hope your customer is OK with you.

I have a piecer that has problems. I am trying to finish her quilt...without motivation I cannot bring myself to work on her quilt. I have cut over and inch and a half of extra border out of two of her borders just to load the quilt. The last one I quilted for her had a center block that was too big....what a mess that one was. Since I am no longer quilting for customers I won't be doing any more quilts for this customer. If I were in business, I would find a way to tell her that I am no longer quilting :D I have tried to tell her how to fix her quilts, but she has no part of it, opting to pay me any amount to fix it for her. One reason I have quilt....I don't like fixing my own problems, I like fixing their problems even worse.

Originally posted by JustSewSimple

As long as she lives I will quilt what she brings me and I will treasure each and every one.

You will never regret this, Sylvia. And you will be so glad you tugged and pulled to make them work out cause someday those quilts will be the most precious things in the world, if they aren't already.

We live in an imperfect world...with imperfect people...most certainly with imperfect quilts. A quilt is meant to be used and loved...and I am sure that your customer's grandaughter will have no idea of the imperfections in the quilt from Grandma. I say do your best and it will be beautiful! I would say nothing! But I would do something that will compliment the quilt and make it befitting for a little girl!

Guest Linda S

You've gotten some really good advice here. We need to remember that not everyone quilts for show or really cares if their quilt is square and flat. Some just want a nice warm blankie that they made for a loved one. They can't quilt it, so they just want us to put it together for them. So, it's always best to give the quilt a good inspection prior to taking it, and then asking about their expectations. Sometimes, they just want it finished, not perfect.

Linda

Wonderful advice (as usual) from all you gals! Your words definitely help keep it in perspective as to what we can do for others, in spite of imperfections. Stitchinsally, I hope you will reconsider after reading all these wonderful words of wisdom and give it your best shot. You'll probably surprise yourself at how beautiful it can be once you're done with it, in spite of the "issues".

They are usually so glad to have them finished. I think they realize that they are not perfect but they want to pass them on to the grandchildren. The grandchildren love them no matter. Finished is good. Talk her into an overall and pass it

Archived