thinking of buying a Circle Lord or Quiltazoid

Carreen

Hi. I'm thinking I am ready for some help with my quilting so I'm thinking I should be looking at either the CL or the QZ. Can someone explain to me the plusses and minusses of each and why I would go with one over the other. I think the front hook up of the QZ is nice but i'm sure you girls that use them can give me lots of insite. Thanks. Carreen

Look where it says select a forum. Click on the arrow and scroll down to training. There you will find the posts for the circle lord and the quiltazoid. All the information you're looking for is there. Good luck.

Carreen,

If you want to see beautiful go on the Circle Lord site on here APQS. It's under gadgets. A contest just completed today and alot of incredible quilts are shown. All done with the Circle Lord.

I have a Circle Lord. I love the designs that you can make, that I know I will never be able to make free hand. I also like the way it's constructed, extremely sturdy, easy to use, well thought out. I also like the support that I have received whenever I have had a question. However, I think you need to see for yourself, if possible get to a show where they are and try them out for yourself.

Good luck on your decision.

Dianne

Carreen, one of the first things that attracted me to the QZ was the price of the pattern boards. It was less expensive to add new boards to the QZ. I have some stroke issues to deal with and it takes me a little longer to learn something new than it used to. My husband thought it was extremely easy to learn to use. I took a little longer but I absolutely love it now. It is sooooo precise and makes such beautiful designs. I don't ever want to be without mine. It hooks up so fast and easy too. If you buy a QZ you won't regret it. I am sure the CL ladies feel the same. I just know that if I was able to master it, anyone can:)

I too love the Quiltazoid. I was a tester for it and Adam and Linda are fabulous to work with. There product is built very well and they are always adding more designs to their system. I am most impressed that the design of the system allows the quilting designs to be repeatable. it is very difficult to find the start/stop!

Not to upset any of our out of country friends...but buying a product made in the US was important for me also.

Please check out the website and see some very lovely quilts quilted with the QZ. http://www.quiltazoid.com

Lots of those here on the forum have the CL and are happy with it as well. It was just not the system for me. If you get a chance to try them both out...I suggest that you do that. Do your homework and pick which system best fits you!

Carreen,

Buying one of these tools is just like buying a longarm, you will need to check them both out and see which ones works best to fit your needs & likes. If possible see if there is people close by to you that owns these tools to give you a demo in person (kind of like taking a test drive with a car).

Asking a question like this on this forum where there is basically a 50/50 split of CL & QZ people will only get you scratching your head and probably more confused, lol Because for every CL person that comes out and says they love their CL, you will get A QZ person that will say the same thing about the QZ. ;)

I have a CL and love it, love the supoort I get from Michael, Kay and other CL owners. However the QZ people will tell you the same about their product as well...see what I am saying? So if you really want a good fit for you, you really need to try each of these tools out yourself, in the end they basically do the same thing. Check out which designs they both offer that you think you would use the most, then check price, then check out the pics of finished quilts from both CL and QZ and see which ones appeal to you the most. In the end they both cost $$ but only CL has a 12 month payment plan to help ease the initial burden, so you can get more templates to get you started for the actual monthly pay out.

Good luck with finding your new tool :)

Carreen,

Well not much more for me to say but I have the Quiltazoid and just love it. I lvoe it mostly because it is well engineered, super easy to use, I can use it upfront and most importantly it is very accurate. I have used it for 1/4" cross hatching and I can get the precision that I want quickly. If you would like to have a DVD you can contact Adam & Linda and they will send one out to you. http://www.quiltazoid.com/

Good luck in your decision.

Hi Careen.

You'll find the right one for you...the right one for me was the CL. They have been around for a long time and win rave reviews for customer support and the steady flow of beautiful new designs. Just take a look at what you can do with the CL in the "CL Challenge" thread on this forum and you'll see why it is such a good tool. I liked the payment plan also. 12 months, no interest. Great people to work with Michael and Kay treat you like family.

Good luck in your decision.

Lisa

APQS Liberty

Hey Careen,

I own a lot of the CL Boards/Templates and use many of them from the front. Michael has designed a base and attachment that allows CL owners to work from the front. He has also designed a push-button system that works from the front with several of the long boards. I really like how receptive he is to suggestions and then uses his engineering mind to meet unique design specifications of customers.

It is a tough PERSONAL choice. If you look through the photos of BOTH Quiltazoid and Circle Lord quilts, you will find some awesome longarm quilting!

Originally posted by mrsbishwit

Buying one of these tools is just like buying a longarm, you will need to check them both out and see which ones works best to fit your needs & likes.

Very true statement. It really is like with cars-- I love my Honda and my husband won't drive anything other than a BMW. It's a matter of what is best for you. Try them both out if you can. Explore both websites. Good luck and let us know what you decide!

Actually, I think the price is very competitive between the CL and the QZ. I agree if you can test drive each one do so. Everyone has their favorites and it seems that when this question comes up it often becomes a compitition to see who can post the most messages about their favorite :) Of course I work with a CL and love it, the customer service is the best in the industry and if you ever have questions there are a lot of us here to help you.

This is just one of those tools that you need to try before you buy.

I love my CL. It is a very accurate tool. Very versitile. And makes you look good as a quilter. CL also has an up front stylus that allows you to work from the front of the machine.

Take a look at the CL Challenge quilts to see all the different, inspirational quilting you can do with the CL....and that is just the tip of the iceburg!!! If you can go to Deb Levy's link on the CL blogspot you will see some really beautiful quilting. Also, on the CL site there are some quilters listed with their sites for pictures of their quilts....check them out....they are just beautiful.

Here is a link to the CL blog...

http://circlelordindex.blogspot.com/

Carreen,

I see that you have just joined us not too long ago!! Welcome to this crazy forum--lots of people--lots of opinions--lots of great quilting!!!!

I think the best thing is to figure out what kind of quilting you like to do--from traditional to contemporary and everything in between. Do you quilt for yourself or do you take in customer quilts. Do you like all overs or do you get into custom. Do you like to follow a line or do you like freehanding embellishments. Once you have that figured out--then take a look at products.

There are many places to purchase the long boards that can be used from the back of the machine for allovers--Quiltazoid, Circle Lord, R & S, Quilt EZ--and they all do the same thing--place your stylus in the groove and follow the path--like a pantograph with out the laser light. Each company will have their own stylus and thickness of board--so check that out when deciding if you want to order any of these.

Then there are some choices for tracing template work--I believe all the above make tracing templates for block work--but there are 3 products that can be used from the front--The Topper, Quiltaziod/Econozoid and CL. Each one has it's own differences--and this will be a personal choice--as to what you feel you need to add to your quilting knowledge.

I personally choose the QZ for the spirographs--as I was totally in love with them as a child and couldn't wait to play with them on quilts as an adult. But the more I use the tracing templates and embellish them with freehand--the better my quilting is looking because of the accuracy of the templates--which in turn makes me so eager to try something new--and the more I see for uses in the other tracing templates. I also do quilting as a business and the QZ has improved my accuracy and speed on some of the major custom quilts that I take in.

All these are great tools--but the best tool of all is your creative spirit--sometimes it just needs a little push in the right direction and then it can soar!!

Have fun finding where your creatively will soar!!

Terri

Archived