Ferret wins at Malvern

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wonderful news and Congratulations!!!!!

Beautiful and well done!! LOVE the leather work - super cool! :cool:

question on Greek Fossils..... wholecloth.... what thread did you use on top?? Almost looks like it is painted in areas of lots of thead - I like the look and want to give it a try I think.

You have such depth on the baby!! :cool::cool:

Originally posted by Linda G. Craig

Ferret, I just looked at your photos and read through your blog about these quilts. It was so interesting and fun to read. Your quilts are amazing. I honestly have never seen or heard of a leather quilt. I guess my part of the world is far behind you. It's really awesome. I can't imagine working with leather and not totally freaking out! I wish you success on your next piece of leather, once you get it on your machine. You sound so anxious to get at it! :D I'm so please this was all brought to our attention and thank you for sharing. I enjoyed it very, very much! :cool:

Freaking out is part of the process. You get excited. You load the frame. You load your thread. You freak out. You hang on to the machine and just go for it. The panic sort of helps and really the works that happens is you loose a piece of leather. It's not actually life or death or anything.

Ferret

Originally posted by kennan100

Yay Ferret!!! WooHoo's to you! I'm wondering why the blue quilt got nowhere? 'Course, I'm a little far away to see it well. I'm liking the fabrics in that one a lot!

Tet got really unlucky, that quilt had best chance in the first bed quilt category, or computer design. The standard for bed quilt is very high, so we knew that wasn't likely. Unfortunately the best of show also got the computer design award (as is likely if it is eligable) and there was a baltimore album that was someones first bed quilt., clearly that will beat a pieced quilt based on a book. So just bad luck. It will get shown again though. Probably The National Quilt Championships next year.

Ferret

Originally posted by Judi

Wonderful news and Congratulations!!!!!

Beautiful and well done!! LOVE the leather work - super cool! :cool:

question on Greek Fossils..... wholecloth.... what thread did you use on top?? Almost looks like it is painted in areas of lots of thead - I like the look and want to give it a try I think.

You have such depth on the baby!! :cool::cool:

Greek Fossils has Signature on top and masterpiece underneath. There is most of a cone of each colour in the quilt. The denser you get the stitching the more painted it looks. That is the quilt where an area I could cover with my hand took me 45 minutes to stitch. I can't remember how many needles I got through on this one, but it was a lot.

Ferret

Originally posted by sewlinzi

Tet, of course Ferret won the prizes with her fabulous quilts but you are a great TEAM!!;)

That's why it works. I can largely delegate dinner and website and all manner of other stuff and just get on with my work. I have someone to help unload and reload my car at talks. I have help on the stand at shows. Oh and I have a salesman the ladies just seem to love giving money to :) I'm probably not supposed to tout him like that but it's true.

I haven't been beating him up, I wouldn't dare you lot would defend him :)

Thanks for the support. Glad you liked the quilts. I'm hoping Greek Fossils might do some touring, but we shall see. It really is just a sample for a bigger quilt and I kinda think I might wait for it's big brother before I send either to the US.

Ferret

Thanks Tet for helping us celebrate with your very talented partner. Your quilt is fab too, can't believe you're a newbie quilter.

Brilliant Ferret, absolutely brilliant:) I really admire your style & what a fabulous supportive partner you have. Sounds like you've got your relationship balanced beautifully :D

Tet - thanks for posting a note about Ferret's success. Your quilt was beautiful and Ferret is blessed to have such a supportive partner.

Ferret, thanks for creating such a wonderful body of work that does push boundaries. On your blog, I appreciated your details about why certain awards were especially important to you. Congratulations on all of the awards. I remember back when you were quilting Greek Fossils; it's great to see judges recognizing its merits.

Lynn

Just looked at your lovely quilts on your blog. I am glad to say that I saw the greek fossil quilt in real life at the maintenance day earlier in the year and it is absolutely stunning which no photographer could possibly capture !

Hours and hours of work went into that one alone !! Having never entered any quilt into any shows it must feel amazing to win so many trophies and ribbons.

Well done Ferret.

PS - do you do one to one teaching on the longarm ? ? ? (Cheeky me !!!)

Ferret - First, thanks for answering my question. Wanted to also mention I liked how you re-did that kit for the Holiday Starrfire quilt to make it big enough for your needs, great idea!

Noticed that you like to listen to the Harry Potter audio cd's - I LOVE to listen to Jim Dale!! He does such an excellent job of reading those stories.... I have done that series many times, so much more details than in the movies.

Another fav. of mine is George Guidall (sp?) He reads the "Cat Who" mystery series, another great voice~;)

Really enjoyed reading your blog..... is there away to "sign-up" to get an email notice when new posts are made to a blog?????

Congratulations Ferret!!!! Your Greek Fossil piece is spectacular and quite innovative. So many wholecloth quilts look traditional and you have used feathers in a very attractive way. I really enjoy seeing your cutting edge pieces. You take quilting to a new and very forward trend place. I had seen your leather piece before on your blog and admired it so much. No surprise that it took an award. Keep up the great work. Hope you send something to Long Beach, CA again. I really enjoyed the group of cows last year.

Vicki

Archived