Mary Beth,

I know you probably didn't realize this but,,,, opening up a question like this is bound to start a conversation that is surely going to go "South" in a gossip conversation that is a

"he said, she said",, not something productive, & could result in hurt feelings.

Persoanly I would take this "off-line" if I had any questions & go straight to the horse.

Just my 2 cents.

Machine Quilters Professional - yup, I'm a lurker there. It's a brou ha ha that is hopefully dying out.

To clarify, someone else sent an MQS trashing blurb to the forum on 5/11 regarding rudeness of people, dissatisfaction in classes, etc. From that posting others responded as did Janet Lee. Janet Lee's response was nebulous at best but she said that they would do their best to show folks a good time at MQX. Then others started dumping on Janet Lee as if she was the negative person, rather than the initial trasher, and on it goes.

I think folks forget that this is the World Wide Web and anything that is posted, ANYONE can see.

Personally, I had a great time at MQS. Had one little issue, addressed it to the MQS folks directly - as people should do and poof, it's time to quilt.

Hi.

I've read it from the start and I would not say it was "trashing" or even "bashing" but a comparison. It was a simple comment made about how to best handle a customer complaint.

One person (the customer) posted that she was handled rudely when she brought a problem at MQS to their attention. **Perhaps that should have been a bit more private.** The reply by JL was along the order of there are many ways to handle these things, and that is not how "we" do it, refering to her show (MQX). Then, JL ended her reply with an enthusiastic invitation to see how "we" do it at our show. It all seemed innocent to me at the time. Most professionals in the business add their shameless plugs now and then.

Like so many chat conversations, things have been exaggerated over time. No, not by our Mary Beth, but on the same chat (MQP) and I guess elsewhere.

I have no affilliation with any of these shows, other than attending the ones I can drive to. I am glad we have so many LA shows to select from.

You can read all about it directly on ** that** chat.

How about a new post on your new stuff...or new technique learned at one of these great shows...............

Lisa

I have been reading this thread about MQS - the initial post (not by JL) was nasty. JL's response wasn't as much negative as it was very sarcastic and in my mind unprofessional in the fact that she compared MQS to her venue MQX & of course built up MQX. Needless to say, the thread has gone on and one and is a waste of one's time to read. I am sure that no matter what show, or revue, will have it's issues, but this thread was uncalled for and one to ignore. Venting is one thing - meanness is another. It sounds to me as if most everyone has had a wonderful time at the shows they have gone to and that is what is important!!!

Well, I am not trying to open a can of worms and would never do that. I was a little amazed that any of this kind of talk would happen in the first place. I love MQS, but would be open to visiting MQX, Innovations, or any other place that promoted quilting because that is what I thought it was all about....promoting quilting.

I think I am happy to be surrounded by you guys. I really don't want to hear of anyone talking down about anything like this. I'm really glad we have all of these shows so that everyone has an opportunity to attend when living in different parts of the country....silly me!

Jolene....welcome to my world ;)

Mary Beth, no problem with your post. It's hard to put on these shows. I could never imagine trying to "please" several hundred women and a few great men at the same time. I'm also thankful that someone has the courage to give us great venues to learn, socialize, drool over quilts and spend money. No show is perfect and if we have complaints tell the organizers not the world, everyone has their own likes and tastes. I believe if anyone is preceived as bashing another's venue, their only hurting theirselves (as I said, no show is completely perfect). Ok, that's my 2 cents. I've been to MQX once and never been to a MQS, but I'm keeping my opinion to myself. However, this forum needs spell check, LOL :cool:

Well I must be living in Mary Beth Land. I think I like it there and will take up permenant residence.

I was very luck this year and had the amazing opportunity to go to both shows (for the first time at each).

My experience was wonderful at both shows for different reasons. But nonetheless, I think both shows have done an outstanding job and I would highly reccomend that anyone wanting to take classes from some amazing teachers and/or have an opportunity to shop from multiple vendors all under one roof attend.

I also had the great opportunity to meet some extremely wonderful and kind women. I cannot tell you how welcome the APQS members make you feel. As for the people who do all the hard work behind the scenes, BRAVO job well done. I had tiny glitches that happened at both venues and let me tell you personally, both glitches were fixed without any problems. At MQX I was accidentally overcharged for a last minute class. They apologized and immediately refunded my money. At MQS I had been signed up for a class with Gina Perkes that I had already taken at MQX and they allowed me to switch classes, I cannot see how anyone could complain about either of those as both were made right graciously.

My only parting words of advice regarding this unfortunate situation is that any time that many women get together, there is bound to be some cattiness at some point in time.

We all have experienced it for ourselves and the people behind the scenes doing all the extraordinary work cannot be blamed for those miserable souls.

One wise APQS forum member said to me "be like a duck let it roll off your back"

So Quack Quack!!

Lisa:)

Everyone looses sight from time to time of what is the important issue. We need to be kind and understanding of one another is all I know. Usually our negativity is a sign of pain or hurt in another area of our lives. People change and learn from their mistakes.

It is true that we can hurt someone unintentionally especiallly when we communicate on the web and NOT in person. Passion can be mistaken for anger. I'm guilty of that and have learned the hard way to choose my words very carefully. Generally I don't address HIGH LEVEL Subjects on the web anymore. I prefer a one on one respectfully if it is requested of me. The truth is we all have our heart filled passionate opinion about something.

I'm sure all of us have Someone in our lives we could mend with. What a great goal for each of us this week. How much positive could come from that? More than you could know. I have experienced the reward myself. Forgiveness feels so good!!!!!

Besides you have to ask yourself "What the Heck will it matter tomorrow or will I be in that place once again having my JOY"

Hugs

Grammie Tammie

Originally posted by Grammie

Everyone looses sight from time to time of what is the important issue. We need to be kind and understanding of one another is all I know. Usually our negativity is a sign of pain or hurt in another area of our lives.

I agree Shana Grammie Tammie is wise beyond her years.

Good advice we should take to heart.

Can anyone tell me why the classes at MQS were cheaper than the ones at MQX? I was just wondering. The teachers were the same, the time was the same, and the classes were the same, yet in some cases a significant difference in price.

Guest Linda S

I don't think any of this was all that awful -- either the original poster who had the bad experience or Janet-Lee's response. The OP said her husband's registration had been lost, they had to pay again, etc., and she was unhappy. JL merely said that if the person wanted to come to MQX next year, she'd find friendly people there and they do their best to fix registration problems on the spot (I know this to be the case). JL also mentioned no fear of tornadoes at MQX. Well, a few got on their high horses and took Janet-Lee to task for promoting her own show. I don't think she did anything wrong. She was, after all, at MQS herself. She didn't say, ya, I know what you mean, I'm here and I hate it. All the posts I saw from her on Facebook, etc., (she is a friend of mine) said she was having a great time.

Let's face it. Every day, somewhere, some time, some one is having a crappy day while the rest of us are having a blast. If we feel we've been treated badly, we want people to know it. Many folks posted from MQS saying they had a blast -- do we bash them for sharing their experience? NO!

Actually - Ronda Beyer and I did a cost comparison between MQX and MQS classes last year -- yes, some classes are more costly at MQX, but others are more expensive at MQS. It all sort of evens out.

And, in the grand scheme of things, does it matter which show we prefer? I've loved going to MQX for six or seven years now, but I'm anxious to try the MQS experience next year (and then MQX West in the Fall!) :D

As a friend of mine likes to say - "there are at least 2 billion people in China who could give a rat's patoot about the whole thing!"

;)

P.S. I forgot to say -- on the tornado thing. We all heard reports on the news of tornadoes in Oklahoma and the Kansas area in the first few days of MQS. I logged onto my favorite weather site (wunderground.com) just to make sure all my buddies were okay. Someone actually ripped JL for commenting on tornadoes. ???? I don't get it. Mountains from molehills.

Originally posted by LibbyG

Can anyone tell me why the classes at MQS were cheaper than the ones at MQX? I was just wondering. The teachers were the same, the time was the same, and the classes were the same, yet in some cases a significant difference in price.

I am my no means an expert as it was my first time at both shows but I think it might have something to do with the IMQA membership. Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

When I signed up for classes at MQX I just paid the registration fee and the class fees for the classes I signed up for.

When I registered for MQS I was sent to a link to register as a IMQA member first (which looks like it will be a great association to belong to) then I registered for classes. So the exra cost of joining IMQA would probably offset the difference in the lower price in the class fees.

I think IMQA probably sponsors some of the cost of the show and therefore becoming a member allows you to get a discount on the class fees.

As I said, I am making a well intentioned assumption, so please correct me if I am wrong.

I see things a bit differently. One is the mood the person who said What to start with, was probably totally beyond exhaustion at that time and maybe the words came out sounding other than intended.. Two is the organizer arranges for the layout of the floor, and whom goes where. Getting the vendors and teachers registered and squared away, Three, the show personell working at that time, the vendors, quilt judges, and Teachers make or break the show. I've heard nothing but good about either show, as far as I'm concerned. I think I heard one person say they were a little disappointed in the classes offered at one show. How many were not dissappointed out of how many attended, and took classes. Probably they need new classes brought in and a few more teachers.

So, handling hundreds of gate passes, or tickets, etc, is one massive job.. I know that from being in Good Sam, an RV and Camper club, and helping at the state Rally, with registration. People are only human and liable to error. If a grump sees a problem, they are going to gripe about it, even if they were not the grump, others pick it up and add to it, and it becomes malicious gossip.

I wasn't able to attend either show this year, and maybe only one next year, so I have no basis for judging the organizer Nor the vendors, teachers, layout, how the quilts are shown, how the workers at all shows put themselves forward and what they handle or teach and how they respond, or are tired to death, so try to talk to people. Behind every vendor, teacher, etc, is one lot of busy work, packing work, taking or shipping work, travel work, etc. It takes so much more than just the organizer or the vendors or teachers, to make the show a go.. with the economy such as it is, I'm surprised to hear there were as many vendors there as was the case. We just had to take a big cut in monthly income.. the first place the depression has hit us so we feel it.

If the grump was there, I'd guess she was tired, worn out, nearly brain dead herself, so add the two together, the worker and the attendee both in the same condition, it's no wonder there are accidencts and lost things and tired responses. If they didn't respond, they'd be guilty of ignoring or being a snob.

Try to look at the other persons work if you are the customer, and they really do try to look at and handle each of the customers individually. Still that does not stop the exhaustion, spinning head, massive headaches, sore body, etc.

RitaR

Guest Linda S

I've been a member of IMQA since I started longarming. Just the magazine is well worth the fee. They also have a business listing on their site, although I don't think I've ever gotten a quilting job from mine. It just made sense to me to be supportive of a major group within my industry (art?).

I think Rita is right -- as they say, every dog has his day. The original poster did say she was venting. Everyone has that right. I don't think JL bashed MQS at all. Just made mention that if the person came to her show, she'd try to do right by them, which is, I'm sure what MQS was trying to do.

Variety is the spice of life -- I'm willing to try most things twice!

I haven't even read any of the stuff on the MQP web site about this story and that's fine by me; I am not interested in the hennies clucking and pecking away in a feeding frenzy. However, I do want to assume that someone like Janet-Lee, who runs MQX and who has had many years experiences and knows all about the planning, preparation, stress, to run a large quilt exhibiton with teachers, vendors, etc.--One would think that she would never publicly bash the MQS show. Really now. No way. I think she walks in their (MQS) shoes and has lived the pain of running a show, too. I've never met Janet-Lee but I hold her in highest regard for what she does for the quilting industry as a whole. It's unfortunate that what she said was misconstrued and that gossip spins things so much out of proportion into negative repercussions. I would bet that her intentions were not malicious. I sure hope no damage is done to reputation of Janet-Lee. I can only imagine how horrified she must feel about all of this going on. I would be sick to my stomach. It's very hard to build up a "good reputation" and it is very easy to get that hard-won good reputation torn and ripped to shreds in moments by vicious gossip. So unfortunate. Almost like you have a fantastic reputation as a longarm machine quilter and just once you might have an unhappy customer and that customer whines and the story spreads to everyone and there you go...standing there wondering what the hell happened to all your hard earned trust and work. It's so hard to build up the good in yourself, yet so easy and quickly this reputation can be ruined. So, when in doubt, stay out of the fray and pull up. Stay out of the gossip. Take it all into perspective that this is just a tiny slice of a half truth and 99% of it is really false. This is a small quilty world we live in. I hope we keep it a happy positive and creative place. We have plenty of negative in our lives to deal with outside of the quilty world, so I want this world to be a safe place where only good things and happy things happen. Let's all try to keep our quilty world positive. I love it so much-- and especially all of you people here on this chat who live in it!

Archived