NQR Watch those rental car companies!

Just got home from MQS - best time ever, except for the departure from Kansas City International Airport. The rental car company (who shall remain nameless unless they don't back down from this bogus claim) called me as I was boarding my plane and told me that I had returned my rental car "riddled with hail damage." Now, the car was fine when I dropped it off less than an hour and a half earlier - and was fine when the rental car desk lady went out to get the mileage.... Gotta wonder whether there is fraud going on, or whether the lot guys left the car out in a short hailstorm and didn't want to "fess up."

My suggestion? Anytime you drop off a rental car, take a photo (even if just with your cellphone) of the car from the front, back and sides. We did this in Mexico and the Caribbean, but never thought it would be necessary in Kansas City!!!

Anyway, it's in the hands of our car insurance company. And if you want to know what company NOT to rent from at next year's MQS, just e-mail me..... :mad:

Wow Barb, that's just over the top!!

I don't think I'd worry about it too much, if someone checked you out then, they have to deal with a so called claim within their employee's.

But I can see where just getting a phone call like that would make you a little ticked, I've dealt with rental companys that made me feel like a Steve Martin in "Planes, trains & Automoblies". :mad:

Welcome home! :)

Linda that is exactly the same feeling I'm getting from dealing with my credit union over the last three weeks! I think they are smoking crack! Barb, sorry you are having to deal with this. Totally bogus, especially if you have witnesses, and that includes the woman who checked you in! Stand your ground Honey!

hi barb -

my daughter manages an enterprise rent a car and even if there was damage to the car when you dropped it off, if they didnt make a note of it on checkout - they are out of luck. and since you didnt leave it with them damaged - it sounds like they are trying to get over on you. i know this cause she was just boohooing to me about how one of her employees missed some very large damage and it cost her a fortune cause it comes out of her commission.

as long as you checked out and they didnt mark it off on your receipt - they havent a leg to stand on.

good luck!

Oh Barb, I'm pulling for you. How can they charge you for an "act of God" (if it had happened), did they expect you to take the car into your hotel room??? Is hail damage or a tornado dropping the car on a house addressed in the contract? Heck, most car/home insurance companies won't even pay for "natural disasters". I hope your insurance company lets them have it. Sounds like a scam when they waited until you left to address the issue. Please give us a follow-up on this.

I'm really not worried about this situation - I think it's in good hands with our insurance company - but it made my loooong flight home a little tense while I waited to see what my DH did on the phone with them.

I will definitely keep you posted on progress. And thanks for the moral support! This doesn't change my mind about the benefit of having a rental car at MQS, but I will definitely change rental companies!!!

Barb,

we had a 'damage' experience with a rental car, the one time we didn't take the insurance. Somebody bumped the car with their car door while we were parked head on at a hotel. They said they'd have to pass the charge on to us which was enormous. Fortunately, we paid with a credit card & the credit card co. paid beyond our deductible. Now we take the insurance!

Good luck with yours, it really puts a damper on what was otherwise a good experience.

Gee Barb - what a bummer way to end a good trip. I hope that it all comes out ok. And I really enjoyed the scenic trips through all the parking lots! :P:P:P and I don't understand how a hail storm could possibly be your problem?

I think they are definitely on something!:o

Archived