photo quilt...FINISHED with PICTURES ADDED

alright...somebody shoot me!

i have been asked to quilt this photo quilt. no problem i said.

what? no problem...are you kidding me.

help?

the backing is a dark brown very nice fabric i might add...but the sashing and photo squares. yuck! to boot...she used iron on transfer stuff for the photos.

here is where i need real help...what to do to avoid the photos? i am using tan so fine thread and want to add leaves since she has a rust colored leaf fabric used for an inner border...and doesn't want the thread to be real showy on the backing...and doesn't want it reall showy on the white either! i am NOT changing threads as i go...so settled on tan!

quilting ideas?? anyone??

oh...and did i forget to mention...the quilt is 103" x 115"!!!!!

post--13461904205829_thumb.jpg

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are so creative, you will do a great job. Are all the blocks like this? And what is the size of the Photo? Does it need to be quilted or can they be left alone. If so may just a vine of leaves in the brown and something a little different in the white and only SID around the photo. Or maybe do a design that clovers both the white and brown. Maybe some simple funky festher, Where is Doodlebug? Oh yea she'smoving! Good luck!

Hi, Kristina,

What about a ferny or leafy feather meander a la Suzanne Early? It would fill the space nicely and you could bring the ferns/leaves into the pictures pretty easily. Plus it goes real fast, but looks totally custom!

Kristina the only elves I know are the ones that dance across thequilt forgging behind me as I stitch.. you don't want them, I am sure.

Ummm have you thought of closing your eyes and go for it.. um, well guess that won't work.. If they want the photo's left unsewn, except for maybe a sid around the main features, then how about sort of a water, or sky back and forth type of open stitching. I use it more for sky than for water, but others reverse it.

In the brown you could have your own choice.. vine and leaves, loops and circles, meander and stars, etc.. or something really snazzy, like you come up with...

Wish I could come up with more but my wee brain is tired tonight..

Good luck and please let us see picts when you are finished.

RitaR

alrighty...i started it...just doing a loopy meander and adding trillium leaves here and there! so far so good! the tan looks okay too. i am going into the photos just a bit...but avoiding all faces.

thanks all for the votes of confidence. this gal has always hand quilted...and time constraints have kept her from hq-ing this one! i hope she likes it.

post--13461904206099_thumb.jpg

Archived