Antique machine

I just "inherited" a New Home machine and I looked up the serial number. It was made in 1897! It is in a cabinet that will be beautiful when I refinish it, but the machine is going to need some work. There is no treadle. Does anyone know anything about these machines?

Guest Linda S

Julie - I'm not sure he'd know about your particular machine, but then again, sometimes I think he knows everything. There is a fellow who specializes in Singer Featherweights, but is involved with all sorts of machine history. He's in England and his name is Graham Forsdyke. If you google him, you'll no doubt find a way to contact him. Very knowledgeable fellow who has helped me with my Willcox and Gibbs also.

Linda

Try a google search to see if you can find some information about your machine. I have an old Singer treadle machine I picked up for $65 at an antique shop in Pennsylvania and it works like a charm. Great for hemming jeans. And yes....Graham Forsdyke is extremely knowledgeable. I bought a Featherweight from him about 10 years ago and I love it!

Well, I looked it up and found a picture of this model and it definitely is a treadle. You can see where the ironwork broke that connected the treadle to the belt mechanism. It looks like it could be a challenge finding parts for it but I'm up for it.:cool:

I had this same machine years ago. It has a shuttle bobbin and is not a very acurate stitch maker even when it is restored. The cabinet is beautiful. There used to be a place here that had a lot of old sewing machine parts. It is no longer here.

Nora

Archived